Seeking a new 45, parameters below, please advise and comment

This is a discussion on Seeking a new 45, parameters below, please advise and comment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a Khar CW45. I have 2 issues with it. Most important is that the slide stop spring has a habit of loosening ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Seeking a new 45, parameters below, please advise and comment

I currently carry a Khar CW45. I have 2 issues with it. Most important is that the slide stop spring has a habit of loosening up over time. This allows the stop to move the left, causing ejection problems. The other issue is the small capacity. I would prefer a double stack magazine over my current practice of carrying an extra magazine IWB.

I want double action. Could be hidden or exposed hammer.
    I am not really concerned with the butt length or width. I always carry IWB, so the barrel/slide length is what dictates comfort for me.
    I use CrossBreed Supertucks. Love em on my old S&W 1st Gen and on the Khar.

From a functionality aspect, I think the perfect pistol would be a Ruger SR45c. Sadly, they don't make one. My girlfriend carries the SR9c. That pistol is an absolute joy to shoot. It has the smoothest, lightest double action trigger I have ever experienced.

So, think short barrel/slide. 4" or under with at least 10 rounds in the mag, a really sweet trigger, reliable, etc.

A quick search shows me the Taurus Millennium series and the XDm Compact falling into those parameters.

Please help, advise, chastise and otherwise inform this grasshopper.

Thank you.
    "Give a man a fishk, an' 'e'll eat fer a day. Teachk 'im ta fight, an' 'e'll feast on da meaty marrow of hisk foes fer a lifetime!"
    - Coxswain Ulrich

JD
    Administrator
    At those specs the Xdm45c or Glock 30SF would be my ony two choices but I'd have a hard overlooking the HK45C (8rds) or USPc.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Glock 30 all day long with glock 21 backup mags
    Rollo, remington79 and Fitch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If you want double-stack and hammer-fired...I think you'll be looking for a while.

If you can go striker-fired, then the M&P45 with the Apex Tactical trigger enhancements, you'll get a very good capacity with a good, consistent trigger. If you can go single-stack, I'd say a SIG P220 with either DAO or DAK triggers.

I'll also throw out the SIG P250 full-size in .45ACP. It's a smooth, light DAO trigger; hammer-fired; 10-round capacity. You can put the P250 Compact slide on it to get under 4" on the barrel.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

M&p.....shoot a little first....mine requires no trigger job

You should still carry an extra mag, in case of malfunction. Another (even better) option is to skip the extra mag, and carry a secondary gun.

Get your Kahr fixed - add a LCP in your pocket. Or a Glock 30...and a LCP in your pocket.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I'll say it too - G30, all day long.

That little monster shows up with me far more than I ever anticipated.

If you want a 4" barrel and don't care about the grip length or width, why not go with an XD Service model. It holds 13+1. I guess the XDM or XD compact would give you the option of carrying with the short grip or the 13 rd though.

Compare the G30 to the XD line and you will find some substantial differences in the grip. You will have to make that call.

I can't say anything bad really about the Millennium series since I carry one fairly often, albeit in 9mm, or the XD line since I have one on my belt today.

Good luck with your search and decision.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'll have to go with the Glock 30 to. I carry that with a G21 mag for a reload. I find it's easier to conceal than the XD 45 Compact and the trigger is better than the XD. The trigger on the XD has to much overtravel. However, both pistols will take 13 round mags for reloads.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    This is my vote also. In fact, this (of the SF variety) is what I carry all day long, everyday.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

eb
    I have a CW45, but I don't carry it often because of the round count.

What I do carry is an XD 45 compact. It has functioned flawlessly. My wife recently bought the XDm 45 compact 3.8 that JUST came out. It is slightly smaller, and you lose 1 round (9 vs 10). I prefer the XD platform over the Glocks because I am a fan of the additional web safety for carry and holstering. Both of our XD guns are deadly accurate, and pleasant to shoot.

Here is a pic of size comparison, XD 45c on top (4"), XDm 45c (3.8") on the bottom. There is a $125-150 price difference. Paid $519 for the XD, and something like $650 for the XDm.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    ^^ One more this ^^
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You really need to try out some of those suggested to see what suits you. For me, within your parameters, I ended up with the Glock 30 and couldn't be more satisfied. It is an easy gun to shoot (for me, much easier than the CW), surprisingly accurate, and good capacity. On the negative side, for carry it is a bit thick and heavy (when fully loaded); however, your chosen holster and a decent belt will handle it fine. Personally, I usually carry mine in a Hume 721OT with a cover garment--very comfortable IMO. Good luck in choosing!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

The Glock 30 has a part of my vote, but .... I have a soft spot for Para Ordnances' 12.45. LDA.
    You would have to buy used...get stainless. Replace the extractor. It would have double stack mags. You can get them that hold 10, 12, and 14 rounds. Buy Chip McCormick. It has a 3 1/2" barrel. Shoots like a dream, especially the Light Double Action.Like a dummy, I saw something I thought would be better. no way ! I miss mine very much.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links