Beretta Nano VS Kahr CM 9

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano VS Kahr CM 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hardluk1 Oh was I talking to you!!! ...Now pay attention. I MAY NOT NEED TO BEBUR ANYTHING... Glad your firearms are good; ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano VS Kahr CM 9

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Oh was I talking to you!!! ...Now pay attention. I MAY NOT NEED TO BEBUR ANYTHING...
    Glad your firearms are good; your personality could stand a little deburring, though.
    MedforOR likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    ironmike I would do the same hard cleaning and looking for any trash or sharp edges to soften or deburing on any firarm I buy. It does not matter the make really. I have done this for many many years. Even a new revolver. Ease that side plat off learn about it. Supriseing how much junk can be it a new S&W revolver too. Use to be better some years ago, not any more.

I own both the CM9 and the Nano and I alternate both in my carry routine.

Both are extremely reliable and reputable firearms. Kahr, I would recommend the maintenance upfront as recommend on the Kahr Talk website.

Couple of comments on both:
    Beretta Nano
    The Nano is a bit heavier and bigger. It is easier to shoot for extended periods and easier to grip.
    It doesn't have a slide release, so you'll have to slingshot the slide to get it back into battery after a reload.
    The slide is MUCH easier to manipulate and I wouldn't worry about handing it to someone with weaker grip strength to manipulate the slide.
    It doesn't have a laser sight option as of this writing.
    The magazine bottoms are a bit weird. The part sticking out is not the front of the mag (like most other mags) but towards the rear. Again weird.

Kahr CM9
    Smaller and lighter than Nano. I don't think it is pocketable, but totally disappears IWB.
    Slide spring is VERY heavy.
    Crimson Trace makes a laser for it.

If I had to hand my wife one of the two, it would be the Nano for the easier slide manipulation.
    If I had to keep one, it would be the Kahr CM9 for the size, weight, and laser.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Glad to find this thread. I was on the fence about the Nano for a minute but had decided I was picking it next week. :D

I have the Kahr CM9. I've put over 600 rounds through the gun without a single issue of any kind or even a hint of the slightest issue. Just a great pocket gun. I haven't a single negative thing to say about it and I trust it completely.

I had considered getting a Nano, but read of enough problems over at the Beretta forum that I decided to pass. The most common problem I've read is that it fails to eject/extract. Think about how it would be to clear such a stoppage when the pistol lacks an external slide stop. Beretta reps kept saying it was the use of cheap range ammo such as Federal or Winchester, but owner's were reporting failures with every single brand. Then it was that it needed 124gr or 147gr ammo, but user's still reported problems. Then it was that only premium, self-defense ammo would have to be used, but it likewise failed with many of those. There was also the statement that the gun had to be broken in, but reports were coming in of guns beginning to experience failures after 600 rounds. To me, the bottom line was that you never knew when the gun was going to fail and a failure to extract during a time when it was actually needed for self defense would never be good. It didn't matter which ammo brand, which weight, which bullet type, and/or how many rounds you put through the gun, certain guns were failing. I didn't want to take a chance.
    Philly Boy and sensei2 like this.

How long ago was that? I was hoping that the Nano has by now had enough time on the market to work out any inconsistencies between user experiences. I've seen more positive reviews of late tending me to think the early kinks have been worked out.

My cm9 was flawless and if you plan on pocket carrying i'd go that route! Either way you have made a great choice with either!

I've had my Nano for about a month & fired about 600 rounds through it with no problems of any kind!
    The Beretta is a high quality gun & well made.

As I've read posts on other forums it appears that most of the FTE problems resulted from lower powered ammo & usually in guns with low serial numbers (early production).
    Also, it does not appear that there have been a lot of problem guns & a lot of FTE complaints... just a very vocal few.
    Most often you don't hear much from happy gun owners.

FWIW Beretta has listed night sights for sale on their website (even if they are temporarily unavailable right now).
    I've never fired the Kahr CM9 but I don't think you will go wrong with the Beretta Nano.
    Just my $0.02
    "There's no right way...
    to do something wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by txpate View Post
    I've had my Nano for about a month & fired about 600 rounds through it with no problems of any kind!
    The Beretta is a high quality gun & well made.

As I've read posts on other forums it appears that most of the FTE problems resulted from lower powered ammo & usually in guns with low serial numbers (early production).
    Also, it does not appear that there have been a lot of problem guns & a lot of FTE complaints... just a very vocal few.
    Most often you don't hear much from happy gun owners.

FWIW Beretta has listed night sights for sale on their website (even if they are temporarily unavailable right now).
    I've never fired the Kahr CM9 but I don't think you will go wrong with the Beretta Nano.
    Just my $0.02
    Cheers! :D

for me, the Nano's lack of a slide lock/slide release lever would disqualify it from consideration as a SD gun. lacking such a control, clearing a double feed malfunction (admittedly a rare occurrence in most semi-autos) is extremely difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrockk View Post
    I was hoping that the Nano has by now had enough time on the market to work out any inconsistencies between user experiences. I've seen more positive reviews of late tending me to think the early kinks have been worked out.
    Here's your comparison - what txpate said - it's a quality piece. And that's for $400; AND it would still be a quality piece for Kahr money, too. :D Now a Kahr is a fine gun and I can't say my carrying an old Model 1934 Beretta around for many years was especially wise. Kahr has the antique '34 beat in safety, weight, caliber (but not capacity) and probably reliability. But, but, but... the look, the action, the feel of the '34 - it's all art and quality (until spent casings hit you on the head).

OLD ART:

So on the long road to replace a '34 or old HiPower for a side-carry piece I actually got a Nano. Art and quality? It is the art of simplicity and quality enough for anyone. I shot several boxes of the suspect Federal 115gr ammo with nary a problem; recoil is modest and the two-finger wrap is fine for my big hands. Here's what I like best about the Nano - very little groups at 25' with a smooth-enough-for-me trigger pull. It's easy to shoot straight. It's a little clunky for pockets, especially if you are a fat-leg person but, seriously, it's barely kissing 7/8" thick so how clunky can it really be? I mean - my hand is way bigger and thicker than this pistol and I walk around with my hands in my pockets whenever I want to. DAO, trigger-pull safety, no external slide lock or hammer and smooth slabbed sides mean no complications. I still prefer the j-frame in my pocket and the Nano IWB but they're pretty much interchangeable in the carry comfort way. And they're interchangeable in the draw-and-shoot arrangement, too.

I cannot knock the Model 1934 or the Nano because they met my peculiar criteria. If the grip feel, the lack of slide lock or the chunky look don't suit you then it'll never be right. If the specifications and the look is OK, nothing wrong with this pistol is my take. Seriel #17,XXX.

NEW STUFF:

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Me to with kahr. I bought cw9 off a guy that had nothing but problems with it. I go thru it, learn about it, clean it up debur anything along with the the mags and followers. Oil it and shoot 600 rounds with no problems or cleaning, 115gr fmj too. Bought a cm9 did the same with it. They are tight pistols and I think if you don't control it well it may give some people fits. Even some ammo out there is below standards . You get on these foums and some people think every gun owner is there too and all the problems come up. I would bet that know more than 5% of owners ever visit a forum and then its mainly the very few whinners that complane. Then if a problem is real some are to stupid to spend the pistol back and some of them that do don't don't write out detailed issues for CS to work thru. The rest with a problem pistol are traded off. In 46 years of shooting I only had 1 firearm that did not run right new. It was a KT p-11 and KT fixed it quickly and it was a fine little pistol after that. And I never whinned about it.
    I have to say, you sure hit the nail on the head.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    rustynail your drigging thru the old treads. And yes I do really feel just that way. Oh, welcome to the forum . Now go fill in at the NEW Member Section and say HI! there.

I have tried Nano and bought Kahr PM9 in black. Nano does not have the same simple feeling as PM9 to me. In my opinion both guns will work. It is up to us make a choice. So far have 650 rounds on it with no problems. I just like to shoot this little thing. A lots of fun and easy to carry.
    Vodek

Sold my CM9 first chance I had and have never regretted it. Shot a Nano at the range yesterday and was, for me, WAY better than the Kahr: less recoil, no FTF or FTE, and a pleasure to shoot. As one of the top gun mags said, the light recoil will surprise and please you. Only drawback for me was the mag. capacity.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links