Glock 20 10MM what would it take to make it a HUNTER?

This is a discussion on Glock 20 10MM what would it take to make it a HUNTER? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a Glock 20 10MM for hunting and backpacking, I am wondering what kind of modifications it would take to make it a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Glock 20 10MM what would it take to make it a HUNTER?

Glock 20 10MM what would it take to make it a HUNTER?

I am considering a Glock 20 10MM for hunting and backpacking, I am wondering what kind of modifications it would take to make it a good deer gun, target, and hiking in bear country gun.

I would want an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead in, I would get a Lone Wolff barrel in 6" for hunting and lead bullets for target.

I would want a different set of sights any recommendations.

I would want some trigger work where do I start?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am considering a Glock 20 10MM for hunting and backpacking, I am wondering what kind of modifications it would take to make it a good deer gun, target, and hiking in bear country gun.

I would want an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead in, I would get a Lone Wolff barrel in 6" for hunting and lead bullets for target.

I don't personally like doing much with the trigger other than a 3.5 lb. connector. I had an "expert" maul one pretty badly back when the world was new.
    As for sights, if you don't mind spending some bucks, this guy does some top-notch work. Bowie Tactical Concepts Pictures Page Failing that, I like trijicon night sights just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post

the only thing it would require is good aim. bunker
    NY27, jwhite75 and zonker1986 like this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    the only thing it would require is good aim. bunker
    And hold control, and breath control, and trigger control, and follow-through.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    All you really need is a good shooter to make a hunter out of it. All the rest is window dressing. Assuming you don't bow hunt, start that to, but keep your shots to a distance you can shot inside a 5" circle ever time with out support and use HP or SP ammo. NO hard cast for thin skin gamme.OH , For bear , BUY BEAR SPRAY. Wound a bear and you don't get mauled , you get killed.

The only mod you really need is fully adjustable sights. The 6 inch barrel is an ok addition, but if you use lead bullets with a gas check, you really don't need that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    At 10mm velocities, I'd suggest hard cast lead only, preferably with a gas check. Sights? Perhaps a red dot? Otherwise, like above, a nice set of adjustables. As for the trigger, I'd try it first. I persoanlly don't see what the gripes about the Glock trigger are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have to agree with Glockman on this one. Get adjustable sights and you are good to go. The longer barrel would be nice, but really isn't needed.

Go with a heavier round, and practice. Practice to shoot properly, and you can easily take most game animals in the lower 48 safely. You just need to know the limitations of you with your firearm.

PS - If you can have bear mace, then go with that. Having a trail gun for most threats is good, but if you are dealing with an angry bear, then the mace has a far better track record.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    I have to agree with Glockman on this one. Get adjustable sights and you are good to go. The longer barrel would be nice, but really isn't needed.

Go with a heavier round, and practice. Practice to shoot properly, and you can easily take most game animals in the lower 48 safely. You just need to know the limitations of you with your firearm.

PS - If you can have bear mace, then go with that. Having a trail gun for most threats is good, but if you are dealing with an angry bear, then the mace has a far better track record.
    I'm not sure about other states, but Ohio requires at least a 5" barrel on a pistol used for deer hunting.

That's an individual state rule. You need to know your state's laws, or the laws of the states that you are hunting in. It's no different than knowing the CC laws of the state you live in, or of the same laws of the states that you go to.

Wisconsin has a similar rule stating a minimum 5.5" barrel length for deer hunting, but that is the overall barrel length to where the firing pin hits the case. So you have the barrel length +case length to meet that requirement. Which is why my S&W 327 TRR8 with a 5" barrel is legal for hunting with.

Who needs a 10mm? Glockman10mm whacks deer with a G19.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

would it take to make it a HUNTER?
    Remove from holster, point at game, squeeze trigger.
    02PSD4ME

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Who needs a 10mm? Glockman10mm whacks deer with a G19.
    Again, not legal in Ohio. .357 is as low as you can go here. I would love to hunt with my nines.

I'm carrying the 20SF as a BUG in the woods while hunting this year. It is comforting to have. It is completely stock. The primary is a Savage 116.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Yeah, I have killed deer with just about everything, but I don't recommend it as a general practice. The 357 is my lowest recommendation for someone who wants to try handgunning for big game. The 10mm is a great round with plenty of power and enough of all the good things that make it just about perfect over a wide array of applications.

My advice to the OP is to not try to dicker with the pistol too much. Adjustable sights make it more usable. Save your money and practice with it until you really see what you need from practical experience. My guess is you will find it's good to go as is.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links