Large, steel frame, reliable 9mm with a 5" barrel.... CZ 75?

This is a discussion on Large, steel frame, reliable 9mm with a 5" barrel.... CZ 75? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy! I'm looking for advice on gun choices for my next purchase... I'm pretty well set up with polymer framed carry guns, and now I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Large, steel frame, reliable 9mm with a 5" barrel.... CZ 75?

Howdy! I'm looking for advice on gun choices for my next purchase...

I'm pretty well set up with polymer framed carry guns, and now I'm looking to add something new. This gun may do some nightstand duty, as well as be the family range gun for all purpose plinking and target shooting.

My parameters are as follows:

-9mm... I plan to shoot several thousand rounds annually with it and I don't want to end up in the poor house.

-Steel or alloy frame. I'm looking for a relatively heavy gun... and I just like them.

-4.5" or longer barrel.

-High capacity, 15+ rounds.

-Really really tough. I want to be able to go crazy and put 10,000 rounds of +p+ through it if I feel like it. I am fairly obsessive when it comes to cleaning my firearms, but I'd like the option to clean this one once a year whether it needs it or not.

I'm not asking for much! :)

After some browsing, it looks like a newer CZ 75 might fit my requirements fairly well. I was also looking at the Beretta 92f, but "heard" that they don't accomodate hot ammo as well as some other guns. That is purely heresay though.

Are there some other options I should look at? Better options than a CZ 75?

Thanks everyone!!
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird. It'll happen to you.—Abraham Simpson

+1 on the CZ-75. I have the stainless model with about 10,000 rounds through it so far. It has eaten everything from hollow points to any of my reloads.

I put in the competition hammer with the CZ-85 trigger and it made a very nice gun to start with even more awesome to shoot. The ergonomics are very similar to a 1911, and you have the option to carry cocked and locked just as well.
    Last edited by gigamortis; December 4th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Sig 226.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

CZ-75, Sig 226, Beretta 92 FS, and Browning High-Power are the top choices that come to my mind.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Bang for the buck,proven reliability,safety in the right spot,Taurus Pt92.
    zonker1986 likes this.

My vote is for the CZ75, and a brand-new one will be cheaper than most of the others suggested. It's designed from the ground up as a service weapon, so it can tolerate some fairly apathetic maintenance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    The CZ is a good choice, either the CZ75B or the CZ75 SP-01. Browning Hi Power would be another good choice. The CZ will be cheaper to purchase, but is a well made, highly reliable gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    I am a big fan of the Browning Hi-Power.
    Bullet1234 likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have used a Browning Hi-Power for many years,,,, great weapon, hard to beat.

CZ 75 all day. The info about the Beretta not being able to handle hot loads is BS. It doesn't get hotter than NATO Spec ammo.'the Beretta or CZ are the choices for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I just spent two hours with my CZ 75B SAO this afternoon. What a great gun! If you like steel, 9mm, in a full-sized frame, this is what you are looking for.

Now, the choice between the 75B and a BHP was a difficult one, but for me, this was the right answer.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for all the great advice!!

It's nice to know I am at least looking the right direction with the CZ 75. I'm also glad to hear that the Beretta 92fs is up to the task. That is a great looking gun, and I'm happy to keep it on the table. The slide design is very interesting to me. I don't know anything about the Taurus though. That's a new one for me to look into.

Guess it's time for me to head down to the range and rent some guns.

For the CZ 75b owners, was there any particular reason(s) you chose this gun over the Beretta, Browning, or Sig? While the CZ & Beretta are at the same price point, the Browning & Sig are quite a bit more expensive... Can anyone share what caused you to select the particular model you now own?

Thanks again!
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird. It'll happen to you.—Abraham Simpson

Funny, I just posted pretty much the exact same question a few days ago. After researching prices and specs on other recommendations it kept coming back to the CZ75 or the Beretta 92fs. Cheaper than Dirt (.com) has the CZ75 BD in stock for $438 and for about $35 more the two tone (nice looking gun). The p226 and the Hi-power are nice weapons but damn, you can just about buy a pair of new CZ's for the cost of the Browning or Sig. The EAA Witness also looked good but I just wasn't able to find much first hand experience with one.

Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice!!

It's nice to know I am at least looking the right direction with the CZ 75. I'm also glad to hear that the Beretta 92fs is up to the task. That is a great looking gun, and I'm happy to keep it on the table. The slide design is very interesting to me. I don't know anything about the Taurus though. That's a new one for me to look into.

Guess it's time for me to head down to the range and rent some guns.

For the CZ 75b owners, was there any particular reason(s) you chose this gun over the Beretta, Browning, or Sig? While the CZ & Beretta are at the same price point, the Browning & Sig are quite a bit more expensive... Can anyone share what caused you to select the particular model you now own?

Thanks again!
    Mainly the ability to carry cocked and locked drew me to the CZ. I am not a fan of the Beretta or any other pistol that has safeties and/or decockers in the slide. That's too many parts for me to be traveling back and forth at those velocities with the slide. All I want in the slide is the firing pin, extractor, and if I have to put up with one, a firing pin safety.

SIG P226 - no external safeties...point and shoot

Browning Hi-power - because it's a Browning....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links