deep cover 1911

deep cover 1911

This is a discussion on deep cover 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for some time now ive been searching for a deep cover gun, and have since decided on a 3" 1911. i still havent figured out ...

Thread: deep cover 1911

deep cover 1911

for some time now ive been searching for a deep cover gun, and have since decided on a 3" 1911. i still havent figured out how to carry it yet, but now that ive decided on what to carry, i can start to figure out the how.

despite being very unhappy with my last kimber (pro raptor 2 that just wouldnt feed), while looking at my options tonight i happened across the above pictured kimber ultra carry 2 with night sights and integrated crimson trace laser. although i had decided not to buy anymore kimbers, i was almost sold immediately on this weapon. the downside to this (and the only thing that stopped me from buying this weapon on the spot) is that if you follow proper training (trigger finger in the ready position until time to fire) you cover up the laser (which could serve as an awesome deterrent....bad guy sees the magic red dot and starts to think twice). i really like the concept of the laser grip, but cannot figure out why they would design it to contradict with proper handgun training.

most likely ill try to find the above pictured springfield ultra-compact, although id really like to find a suitable laser option that doesnt interfere with proper handgun training.

before i commit to buy, is the colt defender a series 80? the website doesnt differentiate enough between the defender and the commander to be clear.
    thanks,

Pretty sure that the Colt defender is a series 80.
    Somebody makes a laser spring plug that fits 1911's. Not sure if is will work on the compacts though.

Nope just check only for the full size guns http://www.lasermax.com/products/gov1911.php
    Pretty cool though.

I'm in the process of breaking in a RIA Officers Model. It's a nice compact gun 3 1/2 barrel.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have the CT's on my 220st, just move your finger down a bit....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

As Dimmak has stated, all you need do is move your trigger finger down to and outside of the trigger housing.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

srt
    i have ct grips for my full size 1911. i prefer to move my finger up higher to the slide rather than lower on the trigger guard. for reference, just put your fingertip on the slide where 'ultra carry II' is engraved and the laser will be unobstructed by your finger.

steve

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have the Colt Defender in 40 cal and really like it. It shoots well and hasn't had a failure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    just move your finger down a bit....
    certainly.....but, this isnt the proper ready position. still may grab it up anyway since springfield production is so slow right now.

The Defender is a series 80 (though it's stamped Series 90). Mine's been completely reliable through around 500 rounds of every kind of ammo I could find, for what that's worth.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Deep cover ??? In a civilian CCW type thing?? What are we here considering deep cover ?? (as opposed to a undercover narc) -----

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Deep cover ??? In a civilian CCW type thing?? What are we here considering deep cover ??
    "deep cover" means you absolutely cannot afford to be "made".

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Deep cover ??? In a civilian CCW type thing?? What are we here considering deep cover ?? (as opposed to a undercover narc) -----
    'Deep cover' is two steps above 'double-secret superdeep cover.'

I have the Tactical Ultra II with a set of Crimson Trace grips on it. Traded off a Ultra Carry II and kept the CT grips for the tactical.

It was no problem 're-adjusting' the finger just under the laser light.
    Attached Images

thanks for all the responses. i ordered the springfield ultra compact today, and expect delivery tomorrow afternoon. will post pics and a range report soon.

.....now i just gotta figure out how to make it disappear.
    Last edited by NaturalSelection; August 17th, 2006 at 01:45 AM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Nat Sel, 10-4 your above.

I find that most people can not effectively hide even a fairly large weapon. For your purposes,if someone(the right one) even thinks that you might have something suspicious "under there" that will blow your cover. I'm talkin' ANY bulge.

Remember,if the wind blows your shirt up or you bend over just right,your "made" also.

So I would say the choices would be--> IWB with very well made,tight,stiff,belt. And/or a very high ride/rise holster. It's either that or......one of them down yer pants rigs(not for me).

It will be hard to balance concealibility,retension,and draw/presentation speed, I would think.

Oh,also, you gotta be "built" just right.--------

I prefer fullsize or Commander length 1911s but if ya' really gotta go smaller I guess you're on the right track. Take a serious look at Gary B's MaxCon V or Milt Sparks' VersaMax II if you need the tuckable feature.
    Jack

Sponsored Links