Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake?

This is a discussion on Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week at work I had a piece of apple pie. Somebody there wanted to trade me for a bigger piece of cake. I like ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake?

VIP Member
    Last week at work I had a piece of apple pie. Somebody there wanted to trade me for a bigger piece of cake. I like my wife's apple pie so I kept it and I was happy.

Lot's of people told me I was foolish because the Sig...I mean the piece of cake was bigger and had more value. In the end I'm glad I kept my trusted, tried and true M&P...I mean my slice of apple pie. I knew what I had and I knew what it was worth to me and I didn't want to trade it for some fancy piece of cake that might have jammed... I mean tasted like crap.
    JoJoGunn and smolck like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    So I almost traded my M&P9c for a Sig P229. The Sig was .40cal which I like, but at the end of the day too many people had posted about the Sig being too fat and too heavy for EDC. Since the M&P is my only EDC, I just couldn't part with my M&Pc which carries so easily. Also, never have been good at DA/SA triggers. Did I make a mistake?
    Id take the SIG all day long over an M&P ,having owned both

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Look as the MSRP and the Condition of both guns and that should tell you whether you made a mistake or not.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I own a M&P9 and absolutely love it, but carrying it was not ideal for me. At the recommendation of a friend, I bought a Sig P239 and it is now my EDC! The M&P is now rigged for home defense (light and laser) and the Sig is on my hip. I also decided long ago, I would not trade a gun for a gun. If I did that, I would be in a constant cycle of OCD change in my weapon. My advice, find something else useless in the home, sell it, and by ANOTHER gun. Happiness comes with choices!!

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I carry a P229 IWB daily. Weight is like recoil - very subjective. On occasion I will carry my P226.

Only you can decide which works best for. The first time I shot the SIGs I knew they were going home with me. I could not be happier. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    .XX likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    So I almost traded my M&P9c for a Sig P229. The Sig was .40cal which I like, but at the end of the day too many people had posted about the Sig being too fat and too heavy for EDC. Since the M&P is my only EDC, I just couldn't part with my M&Pc which carries so easily. Also, never have been good at DA/SA triggers. Did I make a mistake?
    No, I don't think you made a mistake, your answer is in your OP. It's working for you.

That being said I don't have a M&P or any experience with one, I do have a several Sigs, which I think are great and they work for me.

To each his own.....if it's working for you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Get what works best for YOU. I tried many Glocks and two M&Ps (one c and one full sized) and ended up trading them all in on 2 Sig P229's (SAS DAK Gen1 & Scorpion) plus a P220. For some reason the Sigs just carry better for me. I am a big and tall guy who dresses around my guns and who wore loose pants and untucked shirts long before I started carrying a gun. I have also been shooting for over 40 years.

As much as I tried to like Glocks I just did not like them. I shot them well and all that but it was not a gun that I could even connect to even as a tool. With a Sig I feel more confident in my weapon. I like the grip that fits my hand well, the balance and the weight that absorbs recoil. The accuracy is fantastic also. To carry it does take some trial and error and the right clothes. I will not lie about that. However I found that the Galco King Tuk holster makes IWB carry very comfortable for me as it distributes the weight over a wider area and prevents the gun from digging into my side. Strangely enough my Sigs are more comfortabale to carry than my M&P Shield. I suspect that is due to the fact that the Sig's heavier weight put all of its force straight down while the lighter guns tend to have the bottom of the holster dig into my job despite top notch holsters with polymer inserts in them. I think this is because some polymer guns have more weight in their slides verus a Sig which has most of its weight in the grip. Whatever the reason, Sigs, although they do feel heavier on my belt, are more comfortable for me to carry. YMMV

As far as other comments as to triggers I suspect that most of them are from posters who never owned a new Sig. The new Short Reset Trigger (SRT) has a release of about 1/10th of an inch and then about a 2 lb. pull for the next shot. People spend hours learning how to transition from the Glock's first trigger pull to using its reset for subsequent shots but balk at spending any time to learn to transition from DA to SA. It is not hard to get used over a short period of time. If you do not like DA/SA get the DAk which has a stage free 6.5 trigger pull, slightly more than a Glock or M&P. Once again with a little practice you can shoot the DAK well.

My personal feelings after owning a few hundred guns over the years is that weight distribution is more important than the actual weight of the gun. I seem to find that guns that have their weight evenly spread over them are more comfortable for me to carry. I even sold my Kahr PM9 although it was smaller and thinner than my J-Frame in my pocket, its heavy slide and grip w/mag made it lean towards my inseam and was uncomfortable to carry in my big pockets compared to my J-frame which puts its weight over a larger area and keeps the weight directed straight down. Everyone is different though so what is good for me may not be good for you.

My point is that lightweight is not always the same as more comfortable to carry. Certainly lighter to carry but at the end of the day it is how your hip feels that matters. My hip hurts after carrying my small guns for a few hours in an MTAC holster. It does not when carrying my Sigs. Go figure.

Wow, you bumped this really old thread. I forgot all about this. Funny, my new EDC is a Kimber Pro Carry 2 and the M&P is usually with the wife.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links