Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake?

This is a discussion on Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I almost traded my M&P9c for a Sig P229. The Sig was .40cal which I like, but at the end of the day too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Almost traded my M&P for a Sig p229......mistake?

So I almost traded my M&P9c for a Sig P229. The Sig was .40cal which I like, but at the end of the day too many people had posted about the Sig being too fat and too heavy for EDC. Since the M&P is my only EDC, I just couldn't part with my M&Pc which carries so easily. Also, never have been good at DA/SA triggers. Did I make a mistake?

Senior Moderator
    The only mistake you made was not trading it for the Sig.
    21bubba, sigmanluke and AZDaven like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a P226 in my rotation with a G19. The SA/DA trigger has been tough for me to get used to. I do not shoot the Sig as well as my Glock, but I have owned the Glock for 16 years and the Sig for one.
    I think the sig is more gun than a M&P, but if you shoot it well and like it, then you made the right choice.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Trade for the SIG, Sell the SIG for what it's worth, buy a new M&P with the money and pocket the change.
    RugerMike likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I personally don't think you made a mistake. My brother has about 5 sigs and that's one of them. I have 2 m&PS. He shot mine and went out and bought a. 40 and now doesn't even carry his sig. I love my m&p and nothing can get me to trade.

IMO, the P229 is perfect...great grip. It is my EDC....I've carried IWB and OWB. My trigger (factory) is smooth like butta--it has never seen a trigger job and mine is also DA/SA. Again, IMO, you would be trading up.

Just my 2 cents.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Would I have made the trade? Yes, definitely. Did you make a mistake by not trading? Only you can answer that. If the M&P works for you, then you made the right decision for you.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I twnd to agree with Old Vet. I love my M&P and just have never quite found a SIG i like as much, even though they are extremely nice guns I feel the M&P is also.

I think the decision has to be based on you personally. We are all so different in what works or feels the best for us. Personally, Sig never made it into my carry rotation, and now I don't even own one. I have carried 1911's, an XD, an LCR (still have), and an M&P. The M&P is now my primary carry, and I do not see that changing. It fit me better than the others, and I find it comfortable to carry.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

I know its all a matter of opinion, but the Sig gets my vote. The 229 and 220 were sigs masterpieces IMO.

That said, you made the right choice keeping the M&P. If you dont like DA SA, then dont get one Dont make the mistake of getting a gun because you WANTED to like it. I made that mistake with my PPK. I wanted to like it so much, but I cant stand it.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Nope I would never never trade a M&P for a Sig... never....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

you absolutely made the right choice. You would have traded for a gun that is 33 oz unloaded and close to 40oz loaded (M&P 9C is 21 0z) and 1.5" in width (M&P is 1.2"). The SIG has a double action pull of 10 lbs and a single action of 4 lbs. Good luck with that. M&P is 6.5 lbs on each and every shot. Also, the reset on the M&P is so freaking short compared to the DA/SA pistols.

No doubt the SIG is a fine pistol....I just have no use for them as a concealed carry weapon as I don't wear my pants two sizes too big to accomodate a 2x4 in my waistband, and I absolutely despise DA/SA pistols after shooting Glocks for so many years. After you get used to a striker fired pistol and the short reset, going DA/SA is like jumping in an old Ford truck with a manual transmission. Sucks.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I dunno. I have both, and carry both. I prefer SIGs, but oh boy do I love my M&P. A lot. I think the M&P is about as wide as I would go for IWB. My SIGS (229 and 226) are a bit thick for IWB. The Smith rides in a TT IWB holster. The 229 rides in a Kramer MSP. Yeah, you can carry a 229. My question is why would a guy want to trade you a 229 (850 bucks plus or minus) for an M&P (500 bucks)?

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Nope I would never never trade a M&P for a Sig... never....

I have two Sigs and an M&P and I agree.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Love my M&P9c, I'll never part with it. Sure Sigs are nice , but IMO so is the M&P. Save up for the Sig if it trips your trigger, it'll make a nice addition to any collection.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links