Springfield 1911 issues (Jamming)

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911 issues (Jamming) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield light weight champion 4inch that I'm having all sorts of problems with jamming when using hallow points. With a fully loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield 1911 issues (Jamming)

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I have a Springfield light weight champion 4inch that I'm having all sorts of problems with jamming when using hallow points. With a fully loaded magazine it appears that the round is dropping down in the magazine as it is being fed into the chamber and catching on the feed ramp. I have tried a couple different magazines including Wilson Combat and Kimber Pro mags with the same result. I don't have the same problem with FMJs although it does seem that it is feeds kind of sluggish at times. Also I have tried a few different brands of ammo also such as Gold Dots, Ranger Ts, and Golden Sabers. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing the problems before I call Springfield or trade it on something?

I am not a 1911 expert by any means, but you may want to change out the springs. If they aren't new, it can be a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I am not a 1911 expert by any means, but you may want to change out the springs. If they aren't new, it can be a real problem.
    Magazine springs? They are brand new magazines.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    How does the feed ramp and barrel throat look on this 1911?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Even if they r new mags change for another to rule it out.

One last load to try is the Federal 230 JHP, either HST or Hydra-Shok. They fed well in my Springer when it was new and before it was throated and polished. Most of the Remington JHPs are pretty friendly when other loads aren't; I think their bullet shapes are deliberately close to that of ball ammo. I'd be surprised if Golden Sabers didn't feed reliably. If they do, then that's a pretty convincing sign that something else is amiss. Also, Wilson mags are usually a good fix for feeding problems. How new is the gun? Is this a new problem, or has it been this way since you got it?

I'd give Springfield a call and see what they'll do for you. Give 'em a chance to make it right.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's a pretty new gun. I just got it back from my parents house after back to back deployments. I'll have to call them in the AM see what they would do.

New magazines do not mean they are ok. But if you have tried mags, it could be several different things
    Like Smitty stated, send it back to Springfield. They built it, let them make it right.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Just an idea. Download one in the mag and see what that does.

If it works you may just need to leave the mags loaded for a bit to break them in so to speak.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Magazine springs? They are brand new magazines.
    Sorry, no I meant recoil spring mainly. I found in my old 1911 that new (heavier) springs for the commander made the hollow point feed issue I had go away. I installed the wilson combat commander spring package. Has a 20lb recoil spring which slams it harder into battery.

But if it is a newer gun with a warranty, send it back for sure.

My attempt to describe what I'm seeing. When I have a fully loaded magazine to about round 5 there seems to be a gap between the top round in the magazine and the next one. When the slide cycles and attempts to feed that next round into the weapon the front of the bullet drops back into the magazine and the hollow point catches on the feed ramp. This same thing happens when I use the Wilson, KimPro and the magazines that come with it. If I only put 4 or 5 rounds in the magazine it will function just fine. I have no idea what is wrong here.

VIP Member
    I had a Loaded Champion that would not feed HP's. Didn't matter what brand ammo or mag's I used. I called SA, they sent me a prepaid mailing label. Got the gun back, they had polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel (I'm assuming they meant reamed the chamber throat) and refit the extractor. Turn around time was under 3 weeks. When I got the gun back it worked flawlessly. Ate anything I put through it. FMJ (including Tula steel case) and JHP. As to the JHP's I fed it Winchester White box Defensive rounds, Federal HST and Winchester Bonded DPX1 and Remington JHP.

IMO SA stands behind their Lifetime Warranty.

Only reason I didn't keep the gun was I got the chance to buy what I had really been looking for, a DW C-Bob. Sold the Springer for the fund.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    My attempt to describe what I'm seeing. When I have a fully loaded magazine to about round 5 there seems to be a gap between the top round in the magazine and the next one. When the slide cycles and attempts to feed that next round into the weapon the front of the bullet drops back into the magazine and the hollow point catches on the feed ramp. This same thing happens when I use the Wilson, KimPro and the magazines that come with it. If I only put 4 or 5 rounds in the magazine it will function just fine. I have no idea what is wrong here.
    I have a GI Champion.
    The champions have a fully ramped barrel , so all you can do is polish it.

I suggest you try using only 7 shot mags. with flat followers (see pic )

I also suggest using ammo which has a long round ogive like the Speer gold dot HPs

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Had this same problem in my ACT mag that came with my American Classic Commander. With 8 rounds in the mag, it would jam same way. With 6 or less, no issues. The heavier recoil spring fixed that problem. I think it cost me $7

So I called Springfield's C&S to discuss shipping my 1911 back to them for service. After explaining what was going on with the pistol. She asked me how many rounds I had through it. I told her approximately 300-350. She responded that it would take about 500-1000 rounds to break in the pistol properly and it shouldn't need to be sent in. I told her if that was in fact the case as to the break in period for this pistol that I was going to go trade it in today for something that would work like a Glock 30 SF or a SIG P220 Compact. After she said no no don't do that we will take a look at it. I got my shipping label and it will go back today after work. Geez 1000 rounds of 45 just to get a gun up and running right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links