.380 Showdown: LCP vs BG 380 vs P3AT???

.380 Showdown: LCP vs BG 380 vs P3AT???

This is a discussion on .380 Showdown: LCP vs BG 380 vs P3AT??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have come across a niche that needs to be filled - a tiny & light (under 16oz loaded) .380 for the very very rare occasions ...

View Poll Results: Which would you buy, price aside?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP

57 38.78%
  • S&W Bodyguard 380

34 23.13%
  • Keltec P3AT

20 13.61%
  • Other

36 24.49%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .380 Showdown: LCP vs BG 380 vs P3AT???

Question .380 Showdown: LCP vs BG 380 vs P3AT???

Have come across a niche that needs to be filled - a tiny & light (under 16oz loaded) .380 for the very very rare occasions when I cannot conceal my G26 or SW 642...

So, I have narrowed it down to the Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380 and Keltec P3AT...

I know I am taking a hit going down to the .380 from .38 special and 9mm - not too happy about it, but I have weighed the pros and cons and the small and light size of the .380s are worth it for the 15 times a year I may need to carry it. Any caliber is better than no caliber.

A few points - weight is very important to me (sigs are out), I do not care about lasers (I know the BG comes with one, but not sure if I'd use it)

I would normally shoot them and decide on my own, but my range only has the S&W Bodyguard for rent - I held it today at the shop and the LCP and very much preferred the way the BG felt to the LCP, but I really liked the trigger and clean, smooth and slightly smaller design of the LCP... BUT the BG just felt better and more substantial...

Lasers and Prices aside, which would you get?

Thanks!

I voted "other" because I went with the Sig P238 and haven't looked back.
    Rhcmlc and itschuck like this.
    ”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
    ~James Earl Jones

XD40 Service - XD9 Subcompact - Range Officer - M&P9 Pro - M&P40 Compact - P238

Quote Originally Posted by EsCrasston View Post
    I voted "other" because I went with the Sig P238 and haven't looked back.
    I would have gone Sig as well, but the weight is a major factor - its significantly heavier than the others...

I'm not a .380 guy, but the Bodyguard is a real cut above the LCP and the 3AT. My local gun store owner almost had me talked into buying one. Fit and finish and overlall look to the little Smith just speaks "quality". If S&W has any sense, they will bring out its bigger brother in 9mm....then I will jump on it.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I went other also I have a walther pk380 great shooting pistol wth much better accuracy for me versus my lcp. Its a bit over your weight limit but feels like a feather compared to any of my other carry guns.

I voted other because I like my 238 best out of all my .380s but I like my bg so much I sold my lcp. The bg has real sights which for me was what made me sell the lcp hated the sights on it I also just shoot the bg so much better but none compares to the sig

I just purchased a BG... First 100 rounds without a hitch. Very easy to slip within a pocket and I actually like the trigger a lot. Very long pull but very predictable... You can easily sense the break-point, and index the trigger prior to shooting. Also, although it actually has a thumb safety, the trigger pull itself is long enough and strong enough that this gun is unlikely to have the trigger pulled accidentally. Straight-forward takedown and cleaning too.

... and although I'm not a big laser shooting fan, the integral laser on the BG is hardly noticeable. It isn't cumbersome and it does not get in the way...

LCP. The BG is a bit bigger and has an incredibly stupid laser activation setup. Kel Tecs are lower quality and look like they were made in a dimly lit Chinese garage.

The LCP has a long trigger but is reliable and accurate in the right hands. I love mine and carry it often.
    Buckj likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

LCP. I have one, have had no issues. It is what it is... a BUG. I hope that I am never in a situation that requires its use, but I am confident in its function and reliability.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I love my LCP, it still get's frequentish use even with a CM9 and G19 in the roster as well. The P3AT is ugly, but from what I've heard is a pretty good little gun too. I can't speak to the BG's reliability, but the thing looks like a tazer, just to "busy" IMO. When I think of a highly concealable BUG, I think; trim, smooth, light, uber simple, and of course reliable. The LCP fit's that bill like a glove, as does the CM9 for that matter.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

KelTec mine has over 2000 rounds and not one problem . Thats why I know have total of 5 kelTecs in my house.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

VIP Member
    LCP with laser. This is what I have for a BUG. I purchased it without the laser and quickly added it. I also painted the front sight blaze orange. The laser on the LCP activates when you grip the weapon. With the BG, you have to remember to flip a switch somewhere near the front of the gun making the laser far less useful.

I don't expect ever needing to use the weapon, much less at distance, but with the laser, I can keep a magful of rounds in an 8" circle. The laser does, for me at least, improve the accuracy of these little guns. There is also the intimidation factor when a BG sees the red dot on his chest ...

The LCP is light and small. Drop it in a pocket holster, put it in a pocket and it just disappears. It is not a gun you are going to want to do a lot of range work with, but that is not why you are buying a gun in this class.
    Last edited by ksholder; December 5th, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    10thmtn and IWLAFART like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

BG380 for me. Yeah it has a safety that some people do not like, but you can always leave it off and I like it as I can always loan it to someone in the family that may feel more comfortable with the safety, etc. Very good build quality, my opinion it is a little better than the LCP and P3AT. Also even though there is no SAAMI standard for +P 380 ammo, you can fire the Buffalo Bore +P ammo in the BG380 and it will not void your warranty. Plus the price with the laser I got mine for $300. I hope that helps. God Bless

I'd vote for Sigs' P238.
    I have a problem with the way alot of handguns look in general. The sig is NOT one of them.
    Rhcmlc and Fitch like this.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links