Trijicon RMR & Laser Sights

Trijicon RMR & Laser Sights

This is a discussion on Trijicon RMR & Laser Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) sights on their conceal carry gun? How well does it work for self defensive shooting? How easy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trijicon RMR & Laser Sights

Question Trijicon RMR & Laser Sights

Anyone have the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) sights on their conceal carry gun?
    How well does it work for self defensive shooting?
    How easy is it to holster IWB and conceal (assuming you get a holster fitted for RMR)?
    Is the RMR worth it?
    Who does the best install?
    Opinions?

How about comparing to laser sights?

Thanks. Jake.

I have a RMR, but I haven't decided if I'm going to put it on my G19 or G26 yet. I've seen one G26 with a dot sight in person, and I don't think the site will make it any more difficult for me to conceal. Anyway, when I finally make my decision, I will send my piston to TSD Combat Systems. That's the company that did the install on the G26 I mentioned. I've shot with several other people who have pistols done by TSD and haven't observed any problems with any of the pistols.

I don't like lasers, so I wouldn't even think of pairing one with a RMR.

Red dots are better than lasers at long range.

Red dots are better than (red) lasers in bright sunlight. With green lasers, it's probably a wash.

Lasers are better shooting from unconventional positions, where you may not have the gun up to eye level.

Lasers have an intimidation factor that red dots do not. There are numerous documented cases of suspects surrendering once painted with a laser, despite previously being combative with officers with drawn (non laser equipped) pistols. There is just a powerful psychological impact when a laser dot says "you are about to get shot right here."

If the red dot sight glass gets damaged or dirty, it also eliminates your ability to use your back-up iron sights. If a laser fails, you still have unimpeded access to your iron sights.

Lasers are less expensive, and require no permanent mods to your pistol.

Hope this helps you see the pros and cons of both. Good luck.
    snakyjake and Bark'n like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Someone said the downside to red dot is having to modify your slide. I have a FNP 45 tactical. It has a premilled slide for the RMR and taller sights so you cowitness the sights and the dot. If the dot fails the irons are still there. Its great. I also have a glock with a crimson trace grip. For daytime shooting the dot is much better for distances over 25 yd. Inside that, as long as you can see the laser they are equal and the integrated CT laser does not require any special holster. I dont carry the FN so i dont have a holster yet. Its a range and a car gun. Now, the FN is pricey for sure, and add the RMR and your up over 1500. But it is one sweet gun (minimal recoil for a 45, threaded barrel, 15 rounds of 45acp) and i feel that if needed i could take much longer shots with confidence vs my glock with a laser bc of the red dot. Just my opinion. I dont carry either bc i need a much smaller (sig p238) footprint to conceal under hospital scrubs

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    I have a RMR, but I haven't decided if I'm going to put it on my G19 or G26 yet. I've seen one G26 with a dot sight in person, and I don't think the site will make it any more difficult for me to conceal. Anyway, when I finally make my decision, I will send my piston to TSD Combat Systems. That's the company that did the install on the G26 I mentioned. I've shot with several other people who have pistols done by TSD and haven't observed any problems with any of the pistols.

I don't like lasers, so I wouldn't even think of pairing one with a RMR.
    Hey, buddy. How's it going?

The pistol pangloss is talking about is mine. It had the older JPoint milled instead of the much more rugged RMR.

It isn't anymore difficult to carry (AIWB) now than before the sight was added.

At close ranges, you just ignore the RDS (like you would irons) and point shoot. If you need a precision close up shot or a distance shot, the dot is miles ahead of any irons or laser.

Eyeball accuracy out to 10 or so yds, and about 4" at 60yds. Yeah, I know: someone will come on and say "I don't have any reason to be shooting at someone that far." I don't know what my threat will be (how close or how far), when and if it comes. And truthfully, neither do they.

I've never understood the 'intimidation' of a laser. The BG will be looking at me, most likely not down at his own chest where the dot is.

Anyway, here is a pic of my G26, JPoint, and LW threaded barrel:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post

I've never understood the 'intimidation' of a laser. The BG will be looking at me, most likely not down at his own chest where the dot is.
    And yet, this has been a documented fact in law enforcement and military encounters over and over again.

Take a laser, point it at your reflection in a mirror. Turn it on. You will see the laser emitter light up. When BGs see that, they oftentimes glance down to see where the dot is, and think better of their intended course of action.

All of us, but particularly young men, have an ability to deny reality. "I won't get shot - the other guy will." Every soldier who has ever been in combat has thought the same thing. It's a coping mechanism to deal with stressful situations. The laser dot strips away the BG's ability to deny the reality that he CAN get shot. In fact, it says quite clearly that he is ABOUT to get shot, and exactly WHERE he is going to get shot.

No, I would not plan on this happening, and I would certainly counsel anyone to be prepared to shoot if you need to draw your sidearm. However, anything that can possibly help resolve the situation in my favor without all the legal, financial, and psychological fallout that can attend the discharge of a weapon is a good thing to have, IMHO.

And red dots, for all their own advantages, do not do this.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Hi ScottM. I didn't realize you were on this forum! Things are going well here. Still waiting on the baby and my G19 slide--both of which will probably be here in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    Hi ScottM. I didn't realize you were on this forum! Things are going well here. Still waiting on the baby and my G19 slide--both of which will probably be here in about a week.
    Well, I haven't been here long.

You'll probably have to put shooting the RMR slide on hold for a while (speaking from past experience)

You'll probably have to put shooting the RMR slide on hold for a while (speaking from past experience)
    I figure that's how it'll play out for me too. I have no complaints though!

Good. Kids are more fun than an RMR anyway.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have meprolite night sites on my px4 sent gun back to Berreta they installed for free, I have Trikicon night sights on my glock was installed by the dealer that sold them to me while i waited, my bodyguard has a laser useless in daylight get night regular night sights and you wont have any problems with holsters etc....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Congrats on the baby.
    CT Lasers

10thmtn;

Your support of lasers over the RMR is well known on this and another site. But I have to ask:

Have you ever tried a properly set up (ie- milled slide w/back-up sights) pistol with and RDS?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Congrats on the baby.
    Thanks, 10thmtn.

10thmtn;

Your support of lasers over the RMR is well known on this and another site. But I have to ask:

Have you ever tried a properly set up (ie- milled slide w/back-up sights) pistol with and RDS?
    I don't support lasers "over" red dots. As you can see from post #3 above, I do point out the pros and cons of both systems. The OP specifically asked for a comparison of lasers v red dots.

I usually pocket carry, so red dots would not work for me. I don't know anyone who has one, so I have not tried them myself.

What bothers me is the fact that most proponents of red dots poo-poo lasers. I believe the "warlord" of the "other site" that you are referring to called lasers "useless toys," despite real-world feedback from real-world users to the contrary. Might have something to do with them trying to sell red dots and gunsmithing services, but whatever.

Your previous post seemed to be in line with those attitudes - "I've never understood the 'intimidation' factor of a laser." Folks who like red dots seem unwilling to concede the fact that lasers do some things better than red dots. This despite that fact (psychological impact) being repeatedly demonstrated in real-world use.

Red dots do have some advantages over lasers. To me, however, those advantages are not worth the very significant incremental cost. CT Laserguards retail for ~ $160, a relative bargain. Lasergrips are more, but still much less than a milled-in red dot.

I also have zero interest in mounting a red dot on my Glocks, because of the fact that, if the lens gets dirty (blood, dropped in dirt, etc) you have lost both your use of the red dot, AND your ability to see through it and use your back-up iron sights. Combat is a dirty business, and I have no interest in anything on a pistol that can interfere with use of the irons. Red dots can; lasers don't. All my optics on my long guns are easily removed for this reason as well.

I do hope this is a more reasoned reply than simply dismissing red dots as "useless toys." They have their uses, just not for me.

CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links