Do "extras" increase value of a used gun

This is a discussion on Do "extras" increase value of a used gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering selling my Glock 26 because we dont get along. I have a Ghost connector, NY1 spring, and XS big dot nite sites ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do "extras" increase value of a used gun

I am considering selling my Glock 26 because we dont get along. I have a Ghost connector, NY1 spring, and XS big dot nite sites as well as 3 mags with various base configs (+2, concealable control, stock) . I am wondering if those will add to the value of the gun or if I should sell the gun stock, put the aftermarket stuff on my 19, sell the two extra mags seperately. Just curious how much does extra stuff add or take away from the value of a gun you are looking at

I would think it is all a matter of who is buying the gun, but with that said, just from what i see on local classisfieds from where I come from, people list all the extras they have on the gun, yet sell the gun as if it had none of these on it. So you would in my opinion be better off taking what you could use on another gun off, sell it as a stock gun at a semi discounted price, and sell the mags seperate. Extras will never take away the value of a gun, but at the same time i do not feel they warrant a large increase in price. That is why i keep all stock items I take off a gun in a small tacklebox, just in case i get rid of it, which is not very often. The person buying might not like the extras you have, so they will be changing it to fit their needs anyhow. just my 4 cents......
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    If you are selling to an individual, maybe. If to a gun shop, no.
    Philly Boy, JD and Rhcmlc like this.

It's a lot like a car on which you have added many extras:depends on who wants to buy it. As to a place like Bud's Guns, the answer is " no. "
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

If I'm your buyer probably not. You would be better off keeping your after market stuff. I'm buying the gun.

AOK
    Certain extras can add value in private sales such as extra mags, holster, ammo, etc. I sell an average of 3 guns per year, all private sales. Most of my sales include extras and all have resulted in slightly higher sale than I likely would have been able to make without the extra things.

The problem with internals such as connectors and trigger is that is personal customization. I know many more Glock owners that like to run their guns stock (more internally than externally) compared to Glocks with trigger jobs and such. The Big Dot sights will likely add value. If I were you I would keep the sights on and change the internals back to stock. JMHO

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    guns retain between 50-100% of there value depending on the gun itself "extras" retain 5-15% of there value from what I have seen.
    Example:
    1 - Custom 1911 doesn't matter manufacturer $2000 - Usually resales in the $1500 range
    2 - $1000 1911 doesn't matter whos with $1000 of gingerbread - Usually resales in the $850 range
    This is what I have seen over the years.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I'm not much into aftermarket additions and positively recoil from fundamental alterations of the actual firearm from factory configuration so wouldn't give any additional value for "extras."
    pistola likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I say yes and no, it will aid in the selling of it too. Say you are looking at two guns in the same condition. One has lots of add on goodies and the other is plain vanilla; what do you think is going to sell first. A used gun is almost a set price from new in good condition

I would keep whatever extras you can and put them on your 19. I would think that the extra mags would have value in a private sale, but like others said, only at a fraction of what you actually paid.

Put a good price on the mags and offer them if they want them, and sell them independently if they don't.

As far as extras on springs, etc..... a reworked gun, makes many people leary since they don't know what all was done and who did it. The "who" did and what they did , is rather important to me. There's one rifle that is for sale and I would like to have one, but this guy did so many mods ... and if not done "RIGHT" , they can hose up a gun.... so no one's buying it. He can't seem to give it away.
    mlr1m likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'd put the extras on the other gun, I don't think the extras will demand that much more, if any at all. Just my .02.

For some folks extras like you are describing bring to mind the image of Bubba out behind the garage tinkering with his new firearm to see if he cam make it work better. And for the holster, unless it is the exact one I want you can keep it or give it to me. I'm not paying extra for it.
    The three mags? I look at those as something you will have no use for without the pistol. Might offer some but not much.

Michael
    SIXTO likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Take a gun with extras to the gun show or a car with extras to car lot & a guy would be doing good to get the "fair market value".

I guess ya would have to hold out for someone with your exact taste to get any extra for your extra's.

Extra mags may add about $10 ea to me. The trigger mods would detract and possibly make me not want it at all because I would have no idea what else may have been done while someone was in there. Sights would add a few bucks to me,if they were ones I would put on anyway such as trijicon night sights. If they were sights I don't like they would detract value to me, since I would have to buy new ones and swap them out. Jmho.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    ironmike86 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links