S&W model 4506?

This is a discussion on S&W model 4506? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I mentioned to my son that I was in the market for a full framed combat pistol and that I had narrowed it down ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By matthew03

Thread: S&W model 4506?

S&W model 4506?

Recently I mentioned to my son that I was in the market for a full framed combat pistol and that I had narrowed it down to a CZ75 or a Beretta 92fs in 9mm. He is also interested but wants a .45. Like me he has a J frame for serious carry and also wants a full sized weapon. I spoke to a guy who has a Smith 4506 that is supposed to be in excellent condition with very few rounds through it (he says about 500, he bought the gun new years ago). Before going any further with it I would like to find out anything I can about them. It is a third gen Smith and is all stainless I think. It is SA/DA and I believe it weighs in at slightly less than a small car. Otherwise I know nothing. If anyone here owns one or is familiar with them I'd sure like to hear from you.

2. Remove Ads

Buy it. The Smith semi's in SA/DA are fine guns. The decocker/safety is a nice feature. I wish mine were stainless, but alas, I wish a lot of things. My 9 is the most used gun in my stable, probably north of 10K rounds at this point. The 40 isn't far behind, but gets fewer stars because the hammer bites my hand at the web when it cycles. Both are completely reliable, and neither cost me more than $400. PS: I rode my bicycle thru Coos Bay in 2006 when I rode from Seattle to Key West. Nice place....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    100_0904.JPG100_0902.JPG

No, it weighs slightly less than a small tank--and built like one too.

The SS 45XX series is one of the finest lines of semis S&W ever offered. It's demise is due sole to the advent of higher capacity, lighter poly guns. As a range or HD firearm, it's tough to beat. As a carry weapon, it's an anchor compared to Glocks, etc. I have a trade-in 4566--the shorter version of the 4506--and it's absolutely flawless in function. It digests factory and reloaded ammo with no problems. Trade-in 4506s were available thru CDNN a while back in the high $300 range; my 4566 was $389. Depending on condition, extra mags, etc., my guess is a decent price would be $450-500.

The only "known" issue with nearly all 3-gen S&Ws is that the trigger play spring weakens/breaks and causes a "click" in the trigger when operated in SA mode. It has NO effect on operation, but is annoying. My 4566 does it, and on day I'll have it replaced. Right now it's in that "Ain't broke, don't fix" stage. The DA is relative long and firm, but breaks cleanly. When I do carry my 4566. it's chambered and in DA. My model is "decocker only" which I happen to like. What appears to be the external safety (identical in appearance) is the decocker and is spring loaded to the fire position.

Some 45XXs have the palm-swell grips (pictured), some have the straight grips. Mine had the Hogue palm swells grips, but I found them a bit big for my hand. I installed the straight grips and now it fits like a glove, much better than my Glock 30. It points much more naturally.

The 4506 is definitely worth looking at.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I really like mine it will feed on all types of ammo reliably .

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Grab that one, the third Gen. Smith's are excellent.
    vista461 likes this.

Links