Ruger SR40c...general comments please

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40c...general comments please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Checking out the Ruger SR40c......wondering what those of you who have one think of the gun as a PD/CCW carry gun. Not for size but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger SR40c...general comments please

Ruger SR40c...general comments please

Checking out the Ruger SR40c......wondering what those of you who have one think of the gun as a PD/CCW carry gun. Not for size but general functions, handling, ergonomics, things like that. Any weaknesses found in the gun for CCW work (size excluded)? Cartridge not in question either here. Thanks for any input, experiences, comments with/about this gun.

2. Remove Ads

If it's anything like my SR9c its gotta be great. Mine has been flawless and nearing 3000 rounds. The ergonomics should be almost exactly the same so my vote would be go for it. You won't regret buying a Ruger.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

IBD: Ditto to rammerjammer!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Make sure you're OK with the thumb safety.

Pre-shop support gear. It's nowhere near as popular as the trio of Glock/M&P/XD.

If those two are good with you, then you're pretty much good-to-go.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have the SR40 (not the C model) and I find it to be a fine, fine arm.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I wrote a range report for my recently purchased SR40c:

First Range day with SR40c (tad longish)

As for CCW specific comments, the thing I can say is that I have had no carry issues with it. It is comfortable enough, I can draw it just fine from my IWB holster, I leave the safety off though (the thumb safety is less then natural to use IMO).

Appreciate the comments so far...keep 'em coming...(read the range report).....the SR40c has a "safe" trigger like my Glock 22 so familiar with that & then no real need for the safety but it is ambi & I am a lefty so that is covered too. Generally Ruger's are of fine quality.....most of my Ruger experience is with the revolvers, Blackhawks, Security 6's.

no issues with mine so far. i do keep the safety on, but train to sweep it off every time i draw.

i have the sr40c in all black. i love it. it is my 2nd one though. the first one i bought used and had a problem with light strikes. my dealer traded me a brand new one and sent it back to ruger. the last time i was in there he said he put 300 round through it with no problems. i havent had a single issue with my new one at all. i would advise taking the mag disconnect out as many people have told me that's what causes the light strikes along with not properly cleaning it.
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

Just took the husband's new SR40c out to the range today. New, out of the box, it fired three different types of range ammo without a hiccup (only about 50 rounds). We will need more rounds to be sure of it but for now, no issues with the range ammo (FMJ). However, the SD ammo he tried-HydraShocks did have some jams. My Ruger, also a SR40c) has had no jams at all with any type of ammo. Love the ergonomics, recoil management and accuracy! For me anyway, its dead-on. Groups at 7-10yds are 5 shot touching cloverleafs. I attribute that to the sights, not my great skills though. It is a great pistol!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Have both the SR9c and the SR40c. No problems with either one. Great for carry, both of them.

We have sold a boat load of the SRc 9 and 40 with no complaints or come backs.

we have both the sr9c and the 40c. The only problem we have is when using the larger magazine the trigger won't reset on a few rounds. It only happens with the larger mag. Shoots well I love my 9mm. I just ordered extra smaller mags as we want to practice using it how we carry. Holsters are hard to find for it specifically but more are starting to show up.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdu View Post
    The only problem we have is when using the larger magazine the trigger won't reset on a few rounds. It only happens with the larger mag.
    Does it happen on other larger magazines, too? or just that one specific one?

I recently picked up a new SR40c and have had the chance to run about 150rnds through it and other than some initial FTL issues that were a direct result of the spring tension in the new mags, the gun is proving to work as flawlessly as the full size SR9 that I own.

Just as a note on the FTL issues: this was easily remedied by fully loading both mags and hand stripping them a few times, then reloading and doing again; this has taken care of the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links