Available Upgrades for Walther PPS 9MM

This is a discussion on Available Upgrades for Walther PPS 9MM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a commenter here for a few months now, but this is my first post. I have a Walther PPS 9mm and it is ...

Thread: Available Upgrades for Walther PPS 9MM

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

I've been a commenter here for a few months now, but this is my first post. I have a Walther PPS 9mm and it is my only handgun at this point, so it is obviously my carry choice

I am not new to guns or handguns, but am not familiar with what sort of parts and internals can be upgraded on a semi-auto such as mine. I really love this gun as it is stock, and really only plan on upgrading the stock sights to night sights, but would like to know what my other options are. What can be done/upgraded specifically with the PPS and please offer a description if you could as far as the trigger assembly, guide rod/spring, etc....

I appreciate any help. I tried find info via Google but could not find the specific information I am looking for.

Thanks!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken. Replacing sites with night sites or something seems sensible.. but I am not sure what else you would want to "upgrade" to make it run any better. I would spend the money on ammo, range time, classes, a quality holster, belt, spare mags.. and leave the pistol itself stock. Adding a light for the rail would be another option if you use it for a home defense weapon as well.

As I said above, it's an inquiry about options. I indeed have a quality belt, holster and spare mags. Classes and range time are valuable but not at all what I asked about. I do not intend on attaching a light to my handgun as I do not want to sweep each and everything I point the light at; if find carrying one in my other pocket works well.

I appreciate whatever you were trying to do, even though it had nothing relevant to the posted question.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Hi there.

It is my belief that Walther's new line of polymer pistols are about perfect out of the box. No real need to tinker around with the internals like you may with your Glock's (great guns too) trigger or striker or something.

I have a P99 on which I switched out to a steel guide rod from BTGuiderods. Tritium night sights from Trijicon, Inc.. A grip from Talon Grips, which may not be an "upgrade", but does well for the already great ergonomics (those may affect the usage of your Key/Backstrap on your pistol though).

I am aware of a slide-stop issue with the PPS, but it doesn't affect all of them, S&W will take care of it for you if you have been having issues with it.

WaltherForums is a great resource on all your PPS needs, they know their stuff.

EDIT: I almost forgot, there are also a few grip sleeve/extensions out there for your mags, and the PPS is one of a few "pocket 9's" with a rail, so you can take advantage of that as well.

Good shooting!
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Out of curiousity, what's giving you problems on your PPS that you're looking to upgrade? I've got about 800 rounds through mine with a variety of cheap range FMJ and Gold Dot 124 +P's, and it's been 100% flawless. I'm interested in knowing what you're unhappy about and want to improve.

I'm not at all unhappy with my PPS and have not had any issues whatsoever with it. As stated in my first post I am trying to learn what can be done to upgrade a semi and just looking for examples on a firearm that I actually own.

I completely love everything about this gun guys, just looking to LEARN.

Besides that, thank you all for your responses.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sorry.. wasn't trying to come down on you. I was just trying to imply that sometimes adding the extra bells and whistles when not really needed can just lead to problems. I just feel spending money in other areas may be of more value to you. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

PPS is just about perfect the way it is...Only thing I added was a grip sleeve from Limbsaver, and some extra mags...the Limbsaver has made the grip way more comfortable...not that the grip was ever uncomfortable...

I could see night sights and maybe experimenting with a low recoil (BT)guiderod, or metal guide rod...but that would be it.....yes, the wheel here need not be re-invented the PPS is awesome the way it is...however, getting the PPQ would be an excellent companion the the PPS.

You could upgrade to the PPS's big brother, the PPQ.

I agree with the above posters about the quality and engineering of the PPS. I think Walther hit a homerun with this pistol. I wouldn't change anything about it.

It's an excellent pistol in my experience and I've been an avid handgunner since 1974.

Bought this one several years ago. My wife (it's her daily carry gun) and I have put about 2,300 rds. of assorted 9mm fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero malfunctions to date.

It's very accurate, easy to shoot and just devours 124 gr. +P Gold Dot, HST, Golden Saber et al.

With a price of about $540.00 it's worth every single penny IMO.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I researched quite a bit before buying my PPS, and the only upgrades I’ve read about are:

Night sights, which I plan on doing once I verify my sight height for chosen load.
    Grip sleeve, to be honest I like the grip as is.
    Steel recoil spring guide/recoil reduction (low recoil (BT) guide-rod).

I read about some guys polishing feed-ramps and some others doing trigger jobs. My PPS is dated 2011 and it looks like Walther already polished the ramp. I disassembled the striker, cleaned the striker channel and lubed it (as per one of the guys recommendations here). I also put a little bit of lapping compound on my sear and dry fired quite a bit, cleaned it, then applied a dab of grease. My trigger is now much smoother than when it first arrived.

I did change out the small backstrap for the large as it allows me to get the palm of my support hand on the grip when shooting thumbs forward.

That’s really about it. Unfortunately if you like to customize a pistol the PPS is going to be something of a letdown it really is great “as is”.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Steel recoil spring guide/recoil reduction (low recoil (BT) guide-rod).

I disassembled the striker, cleaned the striker channel and lubed it (as per one of the guys recommendations here). I also put a little bit of lapping compound on my sear and dry fired quite a bit, cleaned it, then applied a dab of grease. My trigger is now much smoother than when it first arrived.
    Does the BT guide-rod reduce felt recoil? I'm interested in hearing about the lapping compound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyflyer View Post
    Does the BT guide-rod reduce felt recoil? I'm interested in hearing about the lapping compound as well.
    Not sure, but here’s a link: BTGuiderods PPS

The DPM System says it reduces recoil: DPM Systems Advanced Recoil Reduction System - Mechanical [DPM-MECHNICAL] : The Shooters Box, Firearms and Accessories Online Store

I’ll be honest, even with the 147grn REM Golden Sabers I was surprised how manageable the recoil was with my PPS, so it’s not something I’m interested in.

As for lapping, you can buy a premade compound like a valve grinding compound. I use Brownells’:
    LAPPING COMPOUNDS - Brownells

Use it sparingly as per the directions, it may take a couple applications, then clean it off completely and lube. All it really does is accelerate the wearing in of the mating surfaces. Like dry firing a "chitload" of times.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I can say that the Dpm recoil rod does in fact reduce the felt recoil.

I only upgraded what I felt was necessary. And this is coming from a guy who must tinker with everything, haha.

I upgraded the sights to XS big dot night sights and added a Pachmayr grip sleeve. I did a slight fluff and buff on the feed ramp and that was it.
    Definitely not expensive upgrades and I would say they enhanced the feel and function of the gun nicely.

Sponsored Links