How many??

This is a discussion on How many?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you have purchased a new handgun against the advice of others??? I have done this several times, and sometimes it worked out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How many??

How many??

How many of you have purchased a new handgun against the advice of others??? I have done this several times, and sometimes it worked out well, and others not so well. Lets face it, every manufacturer can have a lemon, or a whole grove of lemons. Reading a thread on here can sometimes lead tomore confusion than it answers, so i take each thread with a grain of salt.

For example, i purchased a 45 High Point, and got made fun of at my local gun club like crazy!! But when they saw how it spit round after round without any troubles, people started to give it a little respect.

I wanted a pocket 380, and decided on the Kel Tec, even though i had several friends say to purchase the LCP... i said no, i wanted to save a few extra bucks, and did not like the way LCP stole design... boy was i dissapointed with that purchase... Lots of FTF, FTE, even with the "fluff and buff" method. I still regret purchasing it, and was totally dissapointed that a new purchase needed as much work as it did.

Then it came to my Taurus revolvers... the little 22lR model 94 was a piece of garbage, and did not want to spend time sending it out to get fixed (my fault for being lazy).. the 4" 357 magnim was not much better in terms of quality... sold it also. Then i got my 357 magnum shrouded hammer snubby and i love it. Once again, took a risk, and came out on top only once in three guns from Taurus. I do understand that i could have used their great warrenty, but i will be the first to admit i am impatient, and if something does not work right the first time, i am apt to not trust it in the future.

Luckily all of Smith have been flawless, as well as my Glock 30.

Sometimes you take a risk, and even though a hundred people chime in to say a particular gun is bad, there is often as many to say it is great. I appreciate eveyones input on this forum... the search menu is wonderful. You can find most anything on a hundred different guns.

Cheers and happy hunting to all for that new pistol or revolver that is going to blow your hair back.

Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

It's funny you mention the search feature on this forum. This was one of the few resources I could find an opinion on some of the revolvers I was debating between going with. Do a search for the M&P R8 or the 327 TRR8 and you won't find much. Even the S&W forums didn't say much about the guns themselves. Just a few opinions that did not say what was good/bad about the firearm at the time.

This site does have a treasure trove of informed opinions that go into detail on so many different topics and specific firearms.

I do alot of research just to satisfy my "need to know" facts. I get what I want and do not get talked out of it.
    Fortunately, I have never been wrong.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Im a pretty small dude. 5'7 and 148lbs. I wanted a Gen 4 Glock 22. My friends told me "heck that gun is big as you are" or "geeez man you cant conceal that big ol full size Glock."

Well I bought it and its fast become my primary carry gun. I love the feel of the Gen4. Put it in a Glock Sport Combat holster and it is easy to hide. Needless to say I dont listen to my friends anymore.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I wish I'd had someone close to tell me "don't buy that Taurus!" 85UL
    It morphed into an LCR
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I think you're learning a very expensive lesson. Buying unreliable and less than stellar quality weapons is a very expensive proposition. Not only do you have the cost of the piece and ammunition, but you have the time spent and frustration trying to get a handgun (or rifle) to be reliable and dependable. I guess everyone has to learn on their own and I made the same mistake.

What did I learn?? I now only buy weapons of time tested design (no new guns or new designs) and only from reputable and proven manufacturers. By doing this, I limit my risk and cost. Sure, you may pay more for a weapon upfront, but it will save you time and money in the longrun. IMO there are only a handful of handgun manufacturers that I consider of high quality. Don't want to list them here because it will just start a long argument.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I think you're learning a very expensive lesson. Buying unreliable and less than stellar quality weapons is a very expensive proposition. Not only do you have the cost of the piece and ammunition, but you have the time spent and frustration trying to get a handgun (or rifle) to be reliable and dependable. I guess everyone has to learn on their own and I made the same mistake.

What did I learn?? I now only buy weapons of time tested design (no new guns or new designs) and only from reputable and proven manufacturers. By doing this, I limit my risk and cost. Sure, you may pay more for a weapon upfront, but it will save you time and money in the longrun. IMO there are only a handful of handgun manufacturers that I consider of high quality. Don't want to list them here because it will just start a long argument.
    This. Spend money wisely.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Guess its who's giving the advice.

Some folks are "experts" on everthing.

Some folks dislike anything that they don't own.

Some folks are able to call 'em like they see'em. Most folks on this board fall into that category.

Word of mouth has always been the best salesman.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have bought firearms for 37 years others have said ,no its junk by this. Never had a regrete oover any of them. Kept most too. First one was a Dan Wesson revolver when others said s&w. Bought a remington 788 , not the 700 still 35 years later a great shooting. Bought a taurus 85 SS for carry. great carry revolver for 20 years and still a very nice shooter. KTpf-9 when so many said there junk then a used kahr that the owner could not make shoot. So nice it I bought a second one. Even bought a winess match for fun gun when some said no buy this or that just not the witness, and it turn out to be the most accurate pistol i have owned, Stop match shooting and sold it but still a very good one. Allways did my research and figured if I bought a turd just said it back for some tuneing up. been very lucky. even the couple firearms that had to go back for some work allway turned out to be fine shooter.

To darn many whinners and gun snobs out there. Most also don't relieze that only a small amount of firearm owners even visit these forums. Now there are a few of over rated or over priced firearms out there but the info is there to be found and learn but just not allways on these forums.

Handgun advice...

I don't think I have ever asked anyone for advice on which handgun to purchase. I have been shooting for 40 plus years and have been participating at gun chat sites for about 10 years, so my opinions are a combination of personal experience and the comments of several thousand gun owners whose posts I have read. I have probably bought 50 or 60 handguns in my life, and have stuck with brands that have a good reputation and models that have been on the market for awhile. It has worked out pretty well for me, and I have largely avoided lemons and losers.

The best handgun brands for me have been Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Sig, Glock, and H&K. And I have had good experiences with a few others such as Kimber, Kahr, Browning and Walther. I'm sure there are other good brands on the market, but I tend to stick with those I know.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Glock 23s blow up. Walther P22s are pot metal jam-o-matics. Henry rifles are substandard pieces of junk with plastic parts and pot metal receivers. Kahr P380s are all unreliable turds.

I bought them all and love them all.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Against there advice?? Hell, my friends encourage me to buy more guns!! To there credit, I've never regretted any firearm purchased. But I do regret every single one sold. Where there some issues with some, yes. One in particular was a Walther P22 that had a FTE issue. Still didn't regret buying it.

I think guns are just like any mechanical hobby one might have, whether its cars, boats, bikes, or (insert your favorite here), you some times run into one that's a little extra "needy". You either give it some extra time and attention to bring it to snuff or you chuck it and move on to the next. But either way, I guarantee some level of fun was had.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Opinions don't mean a whole lot. Everybody has them. You see lots of product bashing online. Frequently, the problems people have, are of their own doing. By that I mean, 380s that don't work perfectly with WWB ammo from Wallyworld but they keep buying that ammo cuz it's cheap. They don't put the time, effort, and money into finding what does work. Guns can be finicky eaters. Or the guy who says X brand is no good cuz his barbers, second cousins, brother in law had one 20 years ago and it sucked. I can't even listen to guys like that.

Do some brands tend to have more problems than others? Yes! Of course. It's manufacturing. Everything that's manufactured has tolerances. Sometimes those tolerances don't work together. Then we get stuff that doesn't work all the time.

If you want to be amused buy a box of ammo. Get out some micrometers or dial calipers and measure the length and diameter of every round. The cheaper ammo, like WWB, is going to have lots of variation. Then get a box of high end self defense ammo, you know the real expensive kind, and check those out. The variation will be very small. Guns are pretty much the same. Looser tolerances allow for cheaper machining. Looser tolerances equal guns with more problems. It's just math.

I don't buy guns based solely on others recommendations but I do take them into consideration if I feel that persons opinion is worth anything. You have to sift through all the crap to find a few gems!
    Question Everything!

I guess if every gun worked 100% all of the time, life would get pretty boring
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I've never asked for advice on which gun to buy, after my first few years of learning how gun shops can push slow movers. I take the advice of others 'with a grain of salt'...I have been persuaded by the experiences of others.
    My own shooting experiences have led me to appreciate different makes and models of firearms. All mechanical devices can have problems...that said, I know what I like and trust. To each his own likes and dislikes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links