I've decided to go with the CZ75 but before I buy some ? regarding caliber and models

This is a discussion on I've decided to go with the CZ75 but before I buy some ? regarding caliber and models within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finaly got a chance to check out a CZ75. I wasn't sure if I was going with a CZ or the Beretta 92fs but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to go with the CZ75 but before I buy some ? regarding caliber and models

I've decided to go with the CZ75 but before I buy some ? regarding caliber and models

I finaly got a chance to check out a CZ75. I wasn't sure if I was going with a CZ or the Beretta 92fs but I really fell for the the CZ. I had considered the PCR model for the weight savings but decided on the full size steel. I am primarily a wheel gun man so before making my purchase I have a couple of questions. first is regarding either safety or decocker. Since the new models all have the firing pin block it seems like there should not be a lot of difference between the two. Am I wrong on this? Also, I can get either 9mm or .40S&W cals for the same price. I originaly had limited my choice to 9mm but there is enough heft to the CZ that it seems like it should handle the .40 cal recoil well enough to allow reasonably fast followup shots. Any problems with the .40's.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Any problems with the .40's.
    Yeah, there are plenty of FTF problems with some CZ's in 40. Had a 40-P - sold it. Never would run right - mostly a mag issue. The CZ-40B was known to be reliable, but I'd steer clear of anything else.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Yeah, there are plenty of FTF problems with some CZ's in 40. Had a 40-P - sold it. Never would run right - mostly a mag issue. Th
    e CZ-40B was known to be reliable, but I'd steer clear of anything else.
    All you needed for your 40p was stiffer mag springs from wolf that fit the cz75. After I put them in mine I have not had any trouble out of it. Gryphon, if your looking at steel frame czs look at the baby eagles before you buy. I have a full size 40 and the semi compact 9 they have been great. They are heavy. They weigh about 40 ounces. I used to carry them both but carry a S&W SD9 now.

As a general rule that I go by, I usually only buy a gun in the original caliber the platform was designed for. The PCR is an excellent gun if you like the DA. I personally prefer the option of SA or DA first shot capability of the CZ 75 as originally designed.
    The CZ 75 may be one of the very best there is on the market, even in comparison with the BHP, or Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    All you needed for your 40p was stiffer mag springs from wolf that fit the cz75.
    Nope. My 40-P was heavily tweaked. Sported all Wolff gun springs - reduced main, 18lb recoil, +5 mag, Bedair SS guiderod, honed extractor, polished ramps, etc, etc. A lot of people have problems with the 40cal P-06 as well. I've owned 5 CZ's, but down to three now. The 9mm P-07 is the most accurate one of the bunch. It has the Omega trigger which is very nice. IMO, if the OP intends to carry the fullsize, I'd get the 75-BD with the decocker. If it's gonna be a range / fun gun, I'd get the regular DA/SA 75-B with safety.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Nitwit here finally broke open the NIB CZ75 I had in the safe for oh, 3 years or so, just before Thanksgiving. Ye gods, what an easy-shootin' gun that is... why did I wait so long?

Mine is the B model that's got a 1911-type thumb safety, so it can be carried cocked and locked, or hammer down on a loaded round to fire the first round double action. I much prefer that to the decocker model. As glockman suggests, stick with the original-design caliber. There's plenty of good choices in defensive 9mm rounds these days, so you won't be trading off any significant capability versus the .40. (And I offer that as a fairly dedicated .45 guy.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Get the 9mm, its a wicked shooting gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 75 is meant to be in 9mm, and that caliber should work just fine for you. Should shoot nice and smooth, without much recoil at all.

As for the decocker/safety, I would go with the safety, but that is a personal choice, and mostly because I am a 1911 guy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My CZ is an 85B. The 85B is the ambidextrous version of the 75B. As others have said, I too, prefer the safety over the decocker. CZ is a tack driver, but it is a little picky about ammunition. Had a few FTEs up to about 300 rounds. No problems now.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

My cz75b in 40 s&w is a favorite. The frame is NOT the same as a 9mm. It is wider, stronger
    and has rails which extend to the front end of the frame. Very accurate and reliable. Only
    minor problem is that some have had to replace a weak extractor spring.
    Otherwise, a fantastic weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Nope. My 40-P was heavily tweaked. Sported all Wolff gun springs - reduced main, 18lb recoil, +5 mag, Bedair SS guiderod, honed extractor, polished ramps, etc, etc. A lot of people have problems with the 40cal P-06 as well. I've owned 5 CZ's, but down to three now. The 9mm P-07 is the most accurate one of the bunch. It has the Omega trigger which is very nice. IMO, if the OP intends to carry the fullsize, I'd get the 75-BD with the decocker. If it's gonna be a range / fun gun, I'd get the regular DA/SA 75-B with safety.
    +5% mag springs aren't enough. Wolf part #74273 is listed as +10% but is rated +15% for the cz75. This is what I used, have to use a mag loader to load them but absolutely no feed problems after installing these springs. Nothing else has been done to it other than hand polishing the feed ramp which was done before the mag springs and didn't cure the feed problems.

Sounds to me like if I get the .40 I can expect to do a little tweeking on it.

You might want to visit the CZ forum. We have lots of information and opinions (just like here).

The Original CZ Forum - Index
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks, I'll try the CZ forum.

9mm imo is the way to go. Without starting a caliber war I do not see a reason to go for the 40. Especially if the CZ40 is known for jamming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links