Considering a Sig 1911 C3

This is a discussion on Considering a Sig 1911 C3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have or have information on the Sig 1911 C3? I hear really good things about them. Just hoping for some more information. I'm looking ...

Thread: Considering a Sig 1911 C3

Considering a Sig 1911 C3

Anyone have or have information on the Sig 1911 C3? I hear really good things about them. Just hoping for some more information. I'm looking at the model with Crimson Trace and all that. Let me know...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I have no expierencxe with the Sig 1911 but looked at the same one you are looking at. I peaked around the Sig forum and it seems that most everyone that has one likes them. I waited a day to long on the C3 (sold) so I ended up with something else. I'm sure there are others here who can give you more input than I. Good luck.

Thumbs up Sig 1911

I just picked up a Sig 1911 XO Black last week from a LGS. Initially, I would have preferred a stainless model, but the black nitron is such a beauty. I have done a field strip, clean, lube, and function check on it. The fit and finish are superb. I can hardly wait for the chance to take it to the range.

Enjoy your 1911 C3. It looks like a beauty.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Had one. Bought it new in the box. Great size & weight for concealed carry.

However mine was a lemon. Put maybe 1500 rnds. factory hardball all the major brands & got FTF & other assorted malfunctions.
    Sent it back to Sig twice,they paid the freight both times they replaced the two different barrel bushings that cracked (MIM crap) with new MIM crap bushings. The Sig smith shot it 50 times & said it was OK & sent it back to me.

Well it still was not OK! Still had rouge malfunctions every couple of magazines. Yes I used a total of 6 different magazines Sig & Chip McCormick, tried a new Sig recoil spring & 3 dfferent weight Wilson & Wolff springs.....Still that Sig wouldent Run!

So I traded it. I had been shooting Colt 1911's starting in the late 70's & never had the major reliability issues that I had with that C3 Sig!

Remember I had an fairly early production C3 & my guess is that since I kept cracking barrel bushings that something was not right with the slide/frame geometry thus putting the bushing in a bind.

I have had dealers tell me & read on the net that yes there were problems with the early Sig C 3's and that the problem had been corrected.

I hope it was I really wanted that sig to work for me.

I will be watching this thread with interest to see how C3 is doing these days.

mrm
    Absolutely love my sig 1911 carry it in a blade tech iwb and cant recommend enough
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I've read the same, early ones had problems, new ones are a peach.
    Purists don't like them because Sig had the nerve to change the style lines. I however, love the look of them.
    I don't know if all the internals are clone 1911 or not. Something to investigate before buying if you have any thought of changing parts.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I've read the same, early ones had problems, new ones are a peach.
    Purists don't like them because Sig had the nerve to change the style lines. I however, love the look of them.
    I don't know if all the internals are clone 1911 or not. Something to investigate before buying if you have any thought of changing parts.
    Just got mine the other day 1911 C3 and having FTF issues with last feed. How to I determine if the gun is one of the new ones?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    mine is basic w/ nite sites and i added the hogue grips cause the 25 LPI front strap was
    hurtful on my hand. it shoots all types of ammo and to POA. it is very accurate though the trigger
    is a combat one--not a bullseye. its smooth and ~8 pounds.

mind ua--the 1st 200 rounds were for it to get lernt that it is a gun.
    now, at around 800 rounds (6 or 7 range trips) its is in my carry group

im hard put to find any negatives about it. if the hogues should drag on my
    cover garmet i'll break the tips of the front strap checkering gently with a
    jewelers file and put the wood grips back on. though the black grips look
    kinda nice on the gun.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Sig makes great P series firearms, but in the 1911 world they are not known in the same manner. In that price range I would stick with Colt or Springfield.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a C3 with the CT grips on it. Never had it FT Feed, FTE or FT Fire. I have had it about a year and cannot give an exact round count of how much I have shot through it, it eats hardball and hollowpoints with equal appetite. I have noticed it prefers 185-230 grain loads over the lighter stuff though. This is the handgun I carry when not at work over my Rugers and Beretta and it replaced my Springfield Armory XD40. I also have not cracked or broken anything on it. I feel the CT grips are a touch too large as I have short stubby hands but they are comfortable to hold on to and they absorb recoil admirably. Any other questions just let me know.
    V/r,

Jeremy
    Libertas Vel Mors

I bought my Sig c3 a little over 6 months ago, which came with the crimson trace grips..................honestly amazing!!! I am not really a laser kinda guy, but "DAMN" was I surprised how amazing accurately it was. Deff worth every penny.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I considered a SIG 1911 RCS. It has the same size grip handle as the C3 but an inch longer barrel. 4" barreled 1911's have a better reputation than the 3" barrel guns. The RCS felt really good in the hand. The RCS is basically an Officers Model Grip with a Commander length barrel.

In the end I bought a Glock 36 and XDs for just a bit more than the CT RCS would have cost.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I considered a SIG 1911 RCS. It has the same size grip handle as the C3 but an inch longer barrel. 4" barreled 1911's have a better reputation than the 3" barrel guns. The RCS felt really good in the hand. The RCS is basically an Officers Model Grip with a Commander length barrel...
    So is the C3. The C3 does not have a 3" barrel. It's essentially the same (4-1/4") gun as the RCS, but without the "de-snagging" treatment. I love mine!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    So is the C3. The C3 does not have a 3" barrel. It's essentially the same (4-1/4") gun as the RCS, but without the "de-snagging" treatment. I love mine!

Regards,
    Jim
    You are 100% correct. My bad. I got the C3 confused with the Ultra which has a 3.3" barrel.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Links