My EMP 40 is the most awesome 3'' 1911. Over 250 rounds fired + chrono results.

This is a discussion on My EMP 40 is the most awesome 3'' 1911. Over 250 rounds fired + chrono results. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About three weeks ago, I bought a Springfield EMP 40. My first shooting session was trouble free; I shot 200 rounds consisting of four different ...

Thread: My EMP 40 is the most awesome 3'' 1911. Over 250 rounds fired + chrono results.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

About three weeks ago, I bought a Springfield EMP 40.
    My first shooting session was trouble free; I shot 200 rounds consisting of four different hollow points (50 rounds each of Federal, Remington, and Winchester 180 JHP, plus 50 rounds of Ranger T 165).

Next, I installed a Smith & Alexander stainless MSH, so I could get rid of the internal lock. Modification number two was to fit a Cylinder & Slide thumb safety, as I don't need an ambi version, as originally installed. I used an XP 25# Wolff mainspring to insure positive primer impacts; after leaving the pistol cocked for a week I was not disappointed, positive impact regardless of brand.

I sent the magazines to logman on the 1911 forum for his flush fit modification, super work . Originally, the magazines were 8 round and extended past the frame with a oversize baseplate; the flush fit mod results in a 7 round capacity, but I definitely prefer flush fit.

Today, I ran another 25 rounds each of Ranger T and Federal 180 JHP, plus a box of Hornady Zombie Max.

My EMP 40 has now flawlessly shot 270 rounds and I love it, no complaints.

EMP 40 chrono results (average for at least 5 shots):
    Remington 180 JHP @ 935 fps / 350# KE / PF 168
    Federal 180 JHP @ 944 fps / 356# KE / PF 170
    Winchester 180 JHP @ 952 fps / 362# KE / PF 171
    Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,054 fps / 407# KE / PF 174
    Hornady Zombie Max 165 @ 1,078 fps / 426# KE / PF 178

Three of the bullets were fired into jugs filled with water; penetration was consistent, with all three stopping at the back of the third jug and denting the fourth.
    The Federal 180 JHP had a recovered diameter of about .63
    The Hornady Zombie Max measured approximately .70
    The Ranger T was .80 - .90 (including talon) depending on which side I measured.

I couldn't easily find my good camera, so here is a cell phone pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    I got one about three weeks ago too. I love this little gun! Mine has been flawless as well and I have really like carrying it. I ended up with the .40 because of the shorter barrel and wanting to retain some umph. They are spendy, but great little firearms and I am sure the popularity would jump if they were cheaper.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I got one about three weeks ago too. I love this little gun! Mine has been flawless as well and I have really like carrying it. I ended up with the .40 because of the shorter barrel and wanting to retain some umph. They are spendy, but great little firearms and I am sure the popularity would jump if they were cheaper.
    The steel frame really helps make this pistol sweet shooting; the EMP 40 has less felt recoil than the alumimum frame 45 acp 3'' 1911's I previously owned.
    The 40 has plenty on umph even from a 3'' barrel, the two 165 loads I chronographed genertaed over 400# KE and recovered diameters of .70+
    They ain't cheap, but I shopped around Gunbroker & GunsAmerica and was able to get this one for $979 shipped. That price is comparable to a Colt Defender, and the EMP has night sights.

mkh
    I had one for about 3 months. Great gun but I just couldn't get comfortable with it as an EDC so I traded it towards a SIG P220 which has become my favorite EDC of all time.

I have had mine for about 9months with about 1500 rounds no malfunctions. It is probably my favorite firearm. For me it has perfect balance in the hand. I like the wieght and it conceals well.

The only thing I don't like is the added length of the magazine, I wish Springfield offered a flush fitting may.

Quote Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
    I have had mine for about 9months with about 1500 rounds no malfunctions. It is probably my favorite firearm. For me it has perfect balance in the hand. I like the wieght and it conceals well.

The only thing I don't like is the added length of the magazine, I wish Springfield offered a flush fitting may.
    1,500 rounds with no malfunctions sounds excellent.

If I had not seen the logman magazine modification I would not have bought the EMP.
    This pistol will be utilized in either a Smartcarry or appendix IWB and the extra length of the factory magazine baseplate would be a hinderance to concealment. I'm at / exceeding my comfort zone with the 5'' height using the modified flush fit magazines, no way would I tolerate any additional height for appendix IWB.

What is a logman modification?

Quote Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
    What is a logman modification?
    In the picture I posted, notice how the magazine does not have a baseplate on it, that's because the bottom of the magazine was cut shorter and a steel baseplate welded on. My magazines are now flush fitting like a typical 1911 magazine.

Oh yea, my EMP has one of the magazines inserted into it in that picture too. Flush fitting.

Sponsored Links