One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE!

This is a discussion on One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like my 642 and carry it in one of three ways: 1.) High Noon "Mr Softy" appendix carry. 2.) Don Hume JIT Slide ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE!

I really like my 642 and carry it in one of three ways:

1.) High Noon "Mr Softy" appendix carry.
    2.) Don Hume JIT Slide at 4:00-5:00 (642 is GREAT with OWB carry)
    3.) Uncle Mike's pocket holster for inner breast pocket on coat.

A super reliable firearm with good carry options. Can't beat it!

2. Remove Ads

Sadly I don't own a 642. But I do own it's Ruger cousin the KLCR.

It is slowly eating away my Glock 26's carry time. And it completely annililated my Kel Tec PF9's carry time.(Bumped it right off the carry rotation map! Poor PF9, now it just sits in the safe and stares at me when I go to grab something else.)

Pocket carry in an Uncle Mikes holster($12.00)
    Appendix carry in an Ace holster($10.00)
    (Who said holsters had to cost much!)
    helderberg and ASSA9 like this.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    It has been over one year since I purchased the S&W 642 revolver, I conceal carry it more than any of my other guns, I feel I am well armed with a extra speed loader, I usually carry Gold Dot 38 special +P or Hornady Critical Defense."[/B]
    I recently purchased the 642. If I might ask what speed loader are you using and are you using the stock Uncle Mike rubber grip?

I've carried a 642 as my primary now for about 4 years. Every so often, it rides as the BUG to my full size XD40 I carry in my MTAC.

For me, and I've said this countless times on multiple forums, the 642 with Gold Dot 135gr +p short barrel rounds in a Nemesis or Mika with a speed strip is the ideal carry setup for me.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I recently purchased the 642. If I might ask what speed loader are you using and are you using the stock Uncle Mike rubber grip?
    I miss spoke I carry a speed strip for my reload because it is flat and easy to carry. The grip is stock the clip draw is the only thing I added.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Ya just never hear any negative comments on the Smith 642...been on my to buy list for a while......

Here's your negative 642 comment, it hurts like a mofo after just a couple rounds at the range. But, that doesn't keep it from doing its job. My EDC is still my Glock 27 but I specifically got my 642 for pocket carry. If I have to leave the house in a hurry and don't have time to gear up I can just grab it and go. I also have a couple pair of older slacks that are just too snug with my IWB Supertuck so the pocket carry works better for those. It is reliable and accurate and bonus, attractive.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Here's your negative 642 comment, it hurts like a mofo after just a couple rounds at the range. But, that doesn't keep it from doing its job. My EDC is still my Glock 27 but I specifically got my 642 for pocket carry. If I have to leave the house in a hurry and don't have time to gear up I can just grab it and go. I also have a couple pair of older slacks that are just too snug with my IWB Supertuck so the pocket carry works better for those. It is reliable and accurate and bonus, attractive.
    Good Point Bioromortis.

VIP Member
    I carried a revolver as my EDC for years. About two years ago I went over to a Kahr CW9. I got tired of pounding my wrist at the range.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I have a 642 that I've carried for years as my BUG when on duty. I also carried it a lot as a off duty weapon. I never considered myself "well armed" with just the 642, just armed. Since I bought a crossbreed supertuck the 642 sees much carry less off duty, I primarily carry a Kahr K40 or my issued Glock 23 when off the clock. The 642 is still my on duty BUG but now goes to the store with me to get a gallon of milk or some other short errand. It rides in a Mika pocket holster

Airweight J frames

I am also a big 642 fan. I experiment with many different guns and modes of carry, but I keep coming back to the 642 as the basic carry gun. I wear it IWB at appendix position with a Comp-Tac kydex holster. This gives good concealment with the minimal amount of bulk and weight to support the gun securely. Almost any garment worn outside the pants will conceal it, and the draw is very fast from that position.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    It has been over one year since I purchased the S&W 642 revolver, I conceal carry it more than any of my other guns, I feel I am well armed with a extra speed loader, I usually carry Gold Dot 38 special +P or Hornady Critical Defense.
    I carry it AWIB with a clip draw or sometimes in the pocket with a simple Uncle Mikes #3, seldom in the HighNoon Hidden Alley. I find it is a gun when I wear it I forget I have it on.
    I do have a Kahr PM9 a great reliable gun, as well as a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger LCP all of them combined don't get the carry time of the 642 revolver.
    I am wondering what gun you seem to carry the most, I am really fond of the revolver for EDC, I do see the value in an auto for higher capacity, I just don't see in my boring everyday life of needing more than a 5 shot revolver to protect my family or myself.
    I just might investigate another revolver I have my eye on a S&W model 640 or a LCR 357 or SP-101 etc.......it is hurting my head to think about it.
    "SO MANY REVOLVERS SO LITTLE TIME"
    I own a 642 and a LCP also. Although I have been carrying my 1911 and Glock lately (just because of the cold weather clothing I have been wearing), I have become a small gun guy. When I got my 642, I pocket carried it in a Mika pocket holster and carried it OWB in a holster I made myself. Did this for about 1 year and loved it compared to carrying my 1911/glock.

I recently purchased an LCP and that is now my go to EDC. While I love my 642, I haven't reached for it in awhile. If I go small I go LCP. If I go large I go 1911. I will never go back to carrying a larger gun everyday (will always carry larger guns just not on a daily basis).

A 642 is my main carry too...in a Milt Sparks pocket holster or loose in a jacket pocket. Being able to have the gun in hand inside a jacket pocket, and being able to shoot from inside the pocket if necessary are tremendous advantages to my way of thinking. My number one goal, should I ever be in a gunfight, will be to not get shot. My best chance of achieving that goal I believe would be to get the first hit to center mass. If I'm able to get the first shot off I'll logically have the best chance of scoring the first hit. Most of my practice consists of quick draw hip shooting at 3 to 5 yards on silhouette targets. Statistically, the vast majority of defensive encounters occur at 10 feet or less. I'm able to keep well over 90 percent of my shots in center mass doing this....it's not that hard. The 642 is perfect for this approach...along with the LRC, Bodyguard, a shrouded Detective special or a bobbed hammer Chief's special.
    bunker and Secret Spuk like this.

KSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Buddhist Packing Blond Pistol Shows American Embrace of Guns

Robin Natanel picks up a compact black pistol, barrel pointed down range. Gripping the gun with both hands, left foot forward, she raises the semi-automatic and methodically squeezes off five shots. The first one creases the left edge of a red bull’s-eye on a target 25 feet away. The four others paint a three-inch pattern around the first. If the target were a person’s head or heart, he’d probably be dead. ......... Read more at:
    Buddhist Packing Bond Pistol Shows American Embrace of Guns - Bloomberg

Great link!
    I'm new to ccw, but in my limited experience, I find that I reach for my LCR much more then my kahr cw9. I just love that ruger.

I carry a S&W 360 in 357 magnum daily. It is a little beast but for all the light weight j-frames in 357 I looked at, it was the single best option.

I do not feel comfortable with any rig that allows for an uncovered trigger.

Typically I use a DeSantis Tuck This 2 or an Uncle Mikes Pocket holster or a DeSantis ankle rig.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links