One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE!

This is a discussion on One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has been over one year since I purchased the S&W 642 revolver, I conceal carry it more than any of my other guns, I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE!

One Year with the S&W 642 SNUBBIE!

It has been over one year since I purchased the S&W 642 revolver, I conceal carry it more than any of my other guns, I feel I am well armed with a extra speed loader, I usually carry Gold Dot 38 special +P or Hornady Critical Defense.
    I carry it AWIB with a clip draw or sometimes in the pocket with a simple Uncle Mikes #3, seldom in the HighNoon Hidden Alley. I find it is a gun when I wear it I forget I have it on.
    I do have a Kahr PM9 a great reliable gun, as well as a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger LCP all of them combined don't get the carry time of the 642 revolver.
    I am wondering what gun you seem to carry the most, I am really fond of the revolver for EDC, I do see the value in an auto for higher capacity, I just don't see in my boring everyday life of needing more than a 5 shot revolver to protect my family or myself.
    I just might investigate another revolver I have my eye on a S&W model 640 or a LCR 357 or SP-101 etc.......it is hurting my head to think about it.
    "SO MANY REVOLVERS SO LITTLE TIME"
    BamaT likes this.

2. Remove Ads

J-Frame.jpg

I have a LC9, Bodyguard 380 and a S&W 1911 but I have been carrying this more than the others combined. I am looking to pick up one of your 642's as a snub as the 2.5" is good but not as easily concealed. I like your gun a lot, thanks for sharing.
    Best, Frank.

I can't adjust to carrying the 642... like the gun, just can't figure out how to wear it. My PM9 and MK9 are my carry guns... love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I can't adjust to carrying the 642... like the gun, just can't figure out how to wear it. My PM9 and MK9 are my carry guns... love 'em!
    Just wondering how are you carrying your Kahr's, if you look at my avatar you can see the clip draw that allows the 642 to be carried without a holster which makes it very easy to carry appendix position.

Either in a Silent Thunder (IWB or OWB) or Smartcarry. The 642 fits well in the Smartcarry, but the cylinder hangs up on them upper hem when removing it. Not too fond of wearing a firearm with the trigger exposed.

Yes, I know what you mean about the trigger exposed, the double action on the 642 would take some pull to get it to fire, the Kahr has a nice double action trigger light than the 642 IMO. You mention the Silent Thunder I have heard all positive comments on them, thanks for the reply.

I love my J frames,,,, all revolvers.

My carry pistol rotation is:
    1)Browning Hi-Power 9 - Not carried as often (guess because not DA ?)
    2)Glock 22 40 - Carry often as dual setup with BUG (3)
    3)S&W 337 Airlite 38 - By far the most carried pistol. Pretty much goes where I go
    (inside or outside home with or without pocket holster).

I wish I liked the smaller M&P9c type guns but do not,,,, to short for my hand.
    Do know 5 shots limit my answers to certain possibilities of encounters.

VIP Member
    The j frames are excellent weapons and one of my favorites. I have been carrying an LCP a lot more lately, but honestly, the j frame is a more capable weapon for me in my hands.

90% of the time, my wheelies are in pocket holsters, but when I do belt/hip carry, I like the feel of that sweet little handle. You're not palming 14 rounds when you draw. I can carry it strong side anywhere from 2 to 5 o'clock as well as cross draw. I wish I had a 642 instead of a 442. Maybe I should buy one for my wife for X-mas to go along with her new vacuum, ironing board, and bowling ball.

I have been carrying my 642 for year and a half in a Galco pocket holster in my strong side front pocket. It is the cats meow. It it loaded with 158 gr BB LSWHPs. I practice a lot with reduced reloads. Great little revolver.

I've had my 442 for about 6 months. I pocket carry in an Uncle Mikes #3. It just hasn't been able to displace my G26 and PM9, both pocket carried in their respective DeSantis Nemesis. I like the 442. Practice with it. Happy to have it in my arsenal. Just can't seem to favor it over my G26 or PM9...
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Primary carry is a SA XD40 SC, BUG is the S&W 2" Airweight.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Primary carry is a SA XD40 SC, BUG is the S&W 2" Airweight.
    Me too. I have been carrying my 442 solo much more lately. The S&W snub airweight is a great all purpose weapon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I like them so much, I usually carry two . I really like the Hornady Critical Defence in my J-frames. The red polymer piece inside keeps pocket lint from getting inside the bullet cavity when carrying extra rounds in speedloaders. Just something I thought I would share with my fellow J-frame-aholics.
    helderberg likes this.

A 640 would make a great big brother for your gun! The all-steel 640 will be more pleasant to shoot recoil-wise and, if it's like mine, will have a better-feeling trigger out of the box.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links