.32ACP in a .327 Magnum??

This is a discussion on .32ACP in a .327 Magnum?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading in several magazines that the .32acp was compatible in my SP101 .327 magnum, I tried it and it didn't work! After a number ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By grouse

Thread: .32ACP in a .327 Magnum??

.32ACP in a .327 Magnum??

After reading in several magazines that the .32acp was compatible in my SP101 .327 magnum, I tried it and it didn't work! After a number of duds, I gave up on it. Is this something with the SP101, or is some of the info out there just plain wrong?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Just because it will fit in the chamber does not mean it is compatible. Some magazine writers are idiots.

Michael
    Guest1 likes this.

The biggest issue I would see in this, is that the ACP is a rimless, automatic cartridge, and if I remember correct, they .327 magnum is a rimmed, revolver type cartridge.

So with the ACP there would be nothing to hold the cartridge in the cylinder, unless you had it machined for moon clips.

Probably one of the old .32 revolver cartridges would work (I want to say .32 S&W, or .32 S&W long), but I would call Ruger and see what they say.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    After reading in several magazines that the .32acp was compatible in my SP101 .327 magnum, I tried it and it didn't work! After a number of duds, I gave up on it. Is this something with the SP101, or is some of the info out there just plain wrong?
    I've seen that before and woundered how since the gun is made for rimmed cartridges. owner's manual does not list .32acp as an ammo choice.

32acp is in fact semi rimmed. But its rim is so small I doubt the firing pin could reach and reliably set off the primers.

Might work in a pinch though with some sort of half moon clip

posted via tapatalk using android.

Moon clips would be the only way to do it. Ive never tried but I have shot .327, .32 h&r mag, .32 s&w through mine with no issues plenty of ammo choices for you without worring abouttha acp.

Thanks for the responses--- they were all as I expected. And.... some authors of gun mag articles are idiots!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yeah, It was I think one of the summer Issues of "Guns" magazine the editor said he was shooting .32 acp silvertips out of a .327 mag. at the local population of squirrels.

I remember thinking "hmmm, really"?
    Philly Boy likes this.

What I've found out handloading for two .32's

The .32 acp is "classed" as semi-rimmed, it definitely has a rim. The diameter of the base of the cartridge is .337, and the rim diameter is .358, a difference of .021. The base of a .32 H & R mag. is also .337, and the rim is .375, a difference of .038. In a properly machined chamber the .32 acp will not slip into the cylinder. The rim should catch. I suspect the Ruger SP101 has a properly machined chamber. The problem with the .32 acp in a revolver is the rim thickness which causes a headspace problem, (the distance between the rear of the cylinder and the breechface). The thickness of the rim on a .32 acp is .045, and the thickness of the other "rimmed" cartridges is .055. There is too much free play for the .32 acp to move back and forth between the cylinder and breech and when pushed fully in, too much gap. Either duds will result from the firing pin not reaching the primer sufficiently (I suspect the Ruger's trouble) or with ignition the cartridge could set back hard on the firing pin, piercing the primer, or locking the action, or both (the latter is my experience).

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I like the idea of the .327 Magnum, but like other here think that you would have to get better support for the .32 ACP.

A Taxi Inspector (LEO) I knew carried a .32 H&R revolver, and I thought he was nuts to carry such a small/weak gun.

My guns at the time were a Dan Wesson .357 and a CZ75.

He would have been better off with at least a .380, if not a 9mm or .40.

Although, the .32 Magnum looks very interesting.

I'd feel more confident with a .38+P or .357 Magnum.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

I liked the .32 magnum out of my SP101 .327; in fact, I shot it much more than the .327--- didn't feel that much difference between the 327 and the 357.

Links