First timer CCW: Glock 26 or HK P2000sk?

This is a discussion on First timer CCW: Glock 26 or HK P2000sk? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dawgfvr Really? Really! I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the experience necessary to carry a loaded weapon yet....that's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First timer CCW: Glock 26 or HK P2000sk?

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    Really?
    Really!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the experience necessary to carry a loaded weapon yet....that's why I'm on here trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can ...as well as training locally everyday.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    We were all new to carrying and inexperienced at one time, . No shame there.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would rather have a gun without an abbreviated grip, so I would go up a size and chose the P2000 or G19. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice as both are fine guns. Good luck, welcome to the forum, follow through with training and you'll be set.

As an old instructor I am asked the question all the time, what is the best gun to carry/ The answer depends on many things. First and foremost, carry a gun you can shoot well. If you ever have the misfortune of having to fire a round in public, remember, you own it. You must be able to hit the intended target and nothing else. Shoot through can be a real danger to innocent bystanders, so pick a caliber and bullet that does the job, but doesn't hit a person the the next county. The next issue in picking a firearm, is one that you can carry all the time in any form of dress. Deciding on how you plan to carry will eliminate a lot of firearms from the list. If you carry you should carry all the time. If needed I would rather have a .380 in my pocket than a 44 magnum laying on the shelf at home. If I knew when and where I would need a gun, I wouldn't be there in the first place. The next issue is a firearm that is reliable, not much needs to be said here, but a firearm that can't go through 100+ rounds without a malfunction that is not due to the ammunition, is not something you would bet you life on. I would suggest renting or borrowing some of the guns you are interested in and trying them out at the range first before making a buying decision. Most of the ranges I shoot at, the fellow shooters are more than willing to let you try out what they are shooting and will usually tell you the good and bad about the firearms they have. Good luck in your selection.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; December 13th, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

I own a p2000sk and it's a great little pistol. Like those before me mentioned, the p2000sk does not have a safety. If you'd like a safety on a carry piece, check out the HK45C. The HK45C really is a great cc weapon (but so is the p2000sk).

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Both are great guns and while I usually carry a Glock, if the lack of external safety makes you uncomfortable get something else.

An HK P7 or a revolver might meet your needs also.

Jim
    Last edited by GentlemanJim; December 15th, 2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osududed1313 View Post
    Really!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the experience necessary to carry a loaded weapon yet....that's why I'm on here trying to pick up as much knowledge as I can ...as well as training locally everyday.
    That lack of experience will work against you, in regards to a manual safety. The average adult needs between three and four THOUSAND repetitions of a "new" motor skill before it becomes ingrained on the subconcious. What that means in layman's terms... until you have the added motion to disengage that safety "burned in" to your presentation stroke, you will very likely forget to do it, fumble the movement, or otherwise not be able to get a round/s off when under stress.

You're approaching this in the right manner; asking questions, and knowing "what you don't know". I.e., you're planning to get some training. But I would strongly suggest you ditch the manual safety idea. If you do ever have to draw the piece to defend yourself, a manual safety adds one more thing you have to do before you can engage.

These guns do not go off by themselves. A manual safety is not a magic talisman that will prevent a negligent discharge caused by unsafe gun handling, or a mistake due to unfamiliarity with the weapon. It has been mentioned already, but the key is this; you want to shoot, pull the trigger. You don't want to shoot, keep your finger off of the trigger.

All that said, either the Glock or the HK will do what you need.

Look at it this way... the Glock is beer; the HK is single-malt scotch...

remington79 likes this.

Of the two guns you mention, either one are great choices. My advice is, get a hold of one of each and shoot them, handle them, find out which one of them that you feel more comfortable with and shoot the best. Then, buy that one.

Don't be scared to carry one in the chamber. Each of these models is designed to be carried safely with a round in the chamber. With an empty chamber you may as well carry a rock. When things go bad, it rarely happens in such a way that you have time to draw and rack a round into the chamber. You'll be lucky if you can draw and fire before being behind the curve.
    TommyGun4169 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Don't know anything about HK except what I hear and read, and what I hear and read is all excellent. The Glock 26 however is my EDC, and for me it is the perfect carry pistol. It shoots like a large pistol, and it is confortable to carry.

Carrying without one in the chamber, then might as well carry a brick. Just get a good holster that covers the trigger, and a couple of good gun belts. The Glock stays inside the holster 99.99% of the time.
    TommyGun4169 likes this.

If you think you will be uneasy with carring a Glock or any striker fired pistol with a trigger safety with one in the pipe then why are you considering these guns ?
    Go with the H&K USP since $$ isn't an issue. It is traditional Double Action DA/SA, and looks like the 2000 pretty much. Believe me, I thought it would have been an issue too but I got used to it real fast. Just remember to keep your finger off the trigger until your gonna shoot the gun, and always carry a glock in a good holster. I don't suggest shoving it down your pants, you may lose your nuts that way ! It's not going to do you any good to carry unchambered especially in a gunfight with someone experienced ! If you fear it that much go with a DA/SA pistol instead.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

eb
    My preferred carry gun is the Springfield XD line. It has a trigger safety like a Glock, with a nice little grip safety on the back. I like the extra safety personally, it eases my mind when holstering (which I do deliberately anyway).

My 2 XDs have been 100% reliable on any ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    You should have some knowledgeable person explain (and physically show) you the Glock safeties and how they work. If you don't pull the trigger, it can't go bang. It simply is unable to fire unless the trigger is depressed.
    If you don't carry chambered, you're just carrying an expensive rock. A good holster secures the weapon and covers the trigger.
    When I purchased my first Glock, I too was concerned about the safety and carrying with a round chambered too. The person at my LGS demonstrated how the glock works with a XD. The XD is also a dao pistol as well as the glock. In the back of the slide there is the back of the firing pin exposed. My dealer racked the slide and then had me put my finger firmly on that pin. As he slowly squeezed the trigger, I felt the pin push up against my finger before it dry fired. He explained that, just like the XD, the glock is not fully cocked until you physically pull the trigger. i.e safe action

I have no safety concerns with my glocks with a round chambered. It is only half cocked.

What did the OP purchase and how is he liking it? The HK P2000SK is my next gun.

It does take a bit of getting used too but with time you'll be comfortable. Just remember to not worry about carrying. It's become a natural thing with me just as I put on my wedding band and watch I holster my Springfield XD. :)

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I started packing with a Walther PPK/S. I owned a G19 but the walther was easier to carry and had a decocker that could be left in the decocked position like a safety. It took me a year but I got to the point where I could carry the Walther with the decocker in the fire position, which is just like a SIG P226 is carried.

Then I started carrying the G19. I have two good holsters, Super Tuck and a VersaMAX II. They both fit the Glock 26 as well and I ended up with one of those which I carry a lot.

That said, when I take the Glock out of my carry holster I stick it in a cheap holster that covers the trigger before I set it down. That way handling the gun, like carrying it from the bathroom to the night stand drawer, which I have to do in the dark most nights, there is no way I'm going to get my finger on the trigger by accident. I carry the G26 more than the 19 simply because the 19 has a rail light on it for HD and won't fit in a holster, so it lives in the small safe by the bed. I can open the bedside safe in the dark with my eyes closed, I practice that.

The G26 is a fine carry gun. I can't speak to the other option you mentioned because I've never held one in my hand.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links