Defensive Carry banner

First timer CCW: Glock 26 or HK P2000sk?

54K views 43 replies 40 participants last post by  FrankinCA 
#1 ·
I've never cc'd before (taking the required classes next Sunday) and I am looking for the perfect weapon prior to going to those classes. I will be taking further defensive training subsequent to getting my license. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 26 or HK P2000sk...hoping for some input from owners of these guns. I currently own a Sig Sauer p250 full size, and have only recently gotten serious about shooting. I don't have access to either gun to shoot before buying. Here is what i've conjured up so far regarding my decision:

Glock:

-I love glock's reputation for reliability and consistency, although I've heard some iffy tendencies with the Gen 4 guns and their springs acting up.

-I'm planning on owning a full-size glock in the future and like the idea of interchangeable magazines on the off chance that I might need larger capacity while only carrying a G26.

-The only thing that hasn't made me buy this gun already is the absence of an external safety. I know that glock has built-in passive safeties, but to be 100% honest I don't know if at this stage in the game I completely trust myself to carry a firearm with one in the chamber and no external safety. Even though I'm a very safety conscious person, I still have jitters because of my lack of experience in carrying. I need input on this^ it's my biggest sticking point right now.

HK:
-HK also has a very great reputation and I've heard nothing but great things about the P2000sk

-The presence of a safety gives me great piece of mind

Price is really not an issue...I want to get what will be perfect for me. I look at this purchase as more of an investment than an expense. Any help is greatly appreciated...I really would like arguments that can get me to sway either way, I know there are a ton of glock and HK fans out there, but I'm trying to be CONVINCED! Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#30 ·
I started packing with a Walther PPK/S. I owned a G19 but the walther was easier to carry and had a decocker that could be left in the decocked position like a safety. It took me a year but I got to the point where I could carry the Walther with the decocker in the fire position, which is just like a SIG P226 is carried.

Then I started carrying the G19. I have two good holsters, Super Tuck and a VersaMAX II. They both fit the Glock 26 as well and I ended up with one of those which I carry a lot.

That said, when I take the Glock out of my carry holster I stick it in a cheap holster that covers the trigger before I set it down. That way handling the gun, like carrying it from the bathroom to the night stand drawer, which I have to do in the dark most nights, there is no way I'm going to get my finger on the trigger by accident. I carry the G26 more than the 19 simply because the 19 has a rail light on it for HD and won't fit in a holster, so it lives in the small safe by the bed. I can open the bedside safe in the dark with my eyes closed, I practice that.

The G26 is a fine carry gun. I can't speak to the other option you mentioned because I've never held one in my hand.

Fitch

#31 ·
I don't trust myself carrying a pistol with a safety as I am not willing to put in the time to do enough repetitions to be truly proficient. The pistols you mentioned are completely safe as is.

Both of your choices are very good ones. I was a Glock-only gunner for about 15 years carrying a G26 at first and more recently a Gen4 G19 - great gun and a soft shooter to boot. But I have recently started carrying others such as the Walther PPS (great gun, Glock-like but very slim) and the HK45c (quite simply a great carry gun!). 10 years ago I'd have said G26 but today I'd say go with the HK. The main reason I'd say go HK is that I believe you can convert the HK's to different variants yourself - making it very Glock-like or very 1911-like depending on your own needs.

It'd try to shoot both if you can. It's a shame you are not in Cincinnati because I think that Target World has both available as rentals.

#33 ·
I have the Glock 26 and 33...both the same dimensions, but just different calibers. Both are wonderful guns, but I find my 9mm P2000sk LEM superior in many respects - feel and trigger, especially. And if I think back to some twenty-odd years ago when I first started carrying, I can understand your reservations about the Glock trigger and lack of a safety.

While it's true that neither the HK or Glock will go off unless the trigger is pressed, that slight difference in feel of the HKs LEM trigger (and external hammer)may just give you that extra peace of mind that you desire. Either way, both pistols are fantastic choices.

#38 ·
I carry a HK P2000 SK in 357 Sig. I also have a P2K SK in 40 SW/w an additional 357 Sig barrel as well as a P2K SK in 9mm. All LEM.

I train with the 9mm and it can run 9mm +P+ so it fuctions as a carry weapon for the range trips.

Barrel length between the Glock and P2K SK is a push, however the grip is were the Glock fails with me.

If you hung up on a new weapon you'll pay alot more for the HK P2K SK :yup:, however you can try Gunbroker.com or HKPro.com and fine a +90% for sale. I purchased my last HK P2K SK .357 Sig off Gunbrokers.com and it was in 95% condition for less than $600.00. Here is a link to two of the auctions:

HK H&K HECKLER&KOCH P2000 SK 9MM SUPER NICE : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

HK P2000 SK 9mm H&K LEM Trigger : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

If you contact the seller after the auction closes they'll may be willing to deal if there are no bids on the weapons.

The choice is yours as they're both good weapons. Carry daily, practice offen, and Learn the Laws.

#39 ·
Both are fine handguns. I have a H&K P2000 (.40), a H&K P2000sk (.40), and an H&K 45c so you can see what I would go with. Your choice but I would NEVER carry without on in the chamber and prefer no safeties on my carry guns. I shoot in competition sometimes and have forgotten to flick the safety during stressfull stages on the range. How would I feel on the street.

If not a money issue you can feel the difference in the cost of the H&K. Also any of the H&Ks I have will feel better in hand than a Glock especially the P2000sk. Also after 4 years I am still waiting for my first malfunction.

#40 ·
I am new to carrying as well and had the same concerns. I eventually went with the Glock 19 and never looked back. To get over having one in the chamber: rack the slide to set the trigger (without loading a round), put the mag in, holster the gun. You'll walk around with the gun in the same condition that you have been, but after a few days you'll realize how safe the trigger is. You will be ready to carry with one in the chamber once you have gained that confidence

#41 ·
An old post but just wanted to say not to be embarrassed by wanting a manual safety. I have been shooting for almost 50 years and all but one of my semi autos have external safeties. They are only a problem in some people's minds who never trained with it. I have owned both the Glock 26 and P2000SK. Sold the Glock. No comparison. Like a Timex and Rolex, they both tell time but if you had a choice between the two, which would you pick? BTW, you can get 13 round mags for the P2000SK.

#42 ·
Forget all about buying y0ur first pistol for the time being.

Find a good gun range and gun club and rent a piece every weekend for about 3 to 6 months. Figure it's going to cost you about $40 a week to rent and shoot a box of 50. Try a different piece every weekend. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance, both behind the counter and at the firing line. Keep track of all the ammo you buy, write down your impressions. Some ranges will only allow you to shoot their re-loads. That may not be indicative of real world ammo. Find a range that will allow you to shoot your own ammo. In the 9s you'll want to try 115, 124 and 147s, for example. They will typically be FMJs and you'll probably want to not settle on the cheapest ammo (WWWB, Tul, etc.), so try some good stuff, like American Eagle and Lawman, for example. Make notes to how dirty they are to fire. Don't come to rash judgement on reliability since many ranges don't clean their pieces.

After a while you will know what size and calibre you are comfortable with, what trigger type you're comfortable with, what sights you like, what controls you like, what weight you like, what colours you like, what ammo you like, etc.

There's no rush to go out and buy. Make friends, become more knowledgeable, make the right choice the first time. Don't become one of those guys that buys a gun blind only to find that you don't like it and then have to sell it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.