Defensive Carry banner

First timer CCW: Glock 26 or HK P2000sk?

54K views 43 replies 40 participants last post by  FrankinCA 
#1 ·
I've never cc'd before (taking the required classes next Sunday) and I am looking for the perfect weapon prior to going to those classes. I will be taking further defensive training subsequent to getting my license. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Glock 26 or HK P2000sk...hoping for some input from owners of these guns. I currently own a Sig Sauer p250 full size, and have only recently gotten serious about shooting. I don't have access to either gun to shoot before buying. Here is what i've conjured up so far regarding my decision:

Glock:

-I love glock's reputation for reliability and consistency, although I've heard some iffy tendencies with the Gen 4 guns and their springs acting up.

-I'm planning on owning a full-size glock in the future and like the idea of interchangeable magazines on the off chance that I might need larger capacity while only carrying a G26.

-The only thing that hasn't made me buy this gun already is the absence of an external safety. I know that glock has built-in passive safeties, but to be 100% honest I don't know if at this stage in the game I completely trust myself to carry a firearm with one in the chamber and no external safety. Even though I'm a very safety conscious person, I still have jitters because of my lack of experience in carrying. I need input on this^ it's my biggest sticking point right now.

HK:
-HK also has a very great reputation and I've heard nothing but great things about the P2000sk

-The presence of a safety gives me great piece of mind

Price is really not an issue...I want to get what will be perfect for me. I look at this purchase as more of an investment than an expense. Any help is greatly appreciated...I really would like arguments that can get me to sway either way, I know there are a ton of glock and HK fans out there, but I'm trying to be CONVINCED! Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
-I'm planning on owning a full-size glock in the future and like the idea of interchangeable magazines on the off chance that I might need larger capacity while only carrying a G26.

-The only thing that hasn't made me buy this gun already is the absence of an external safety. I know that glock has built-in passive safeties, but to be 100% honest I don't know if at this stage in the game I completely trust myself to carry a firearm with one in the chamber and no external safety
You should have some knowledgeable person explain (and physically show) you the Glock safeties and how they work. If you don't pull the trigger, it can't go bang. It simply is unable to fire unless the trigger is depressed.
If you don't carry chambered, you're just carrying an expensive rock. A good holster secures the weapon and covers the trigger.
Interchangeable mags are certainly a sweet feature of Glocks. Personally, I'm a total Glock fanboy, but it has to feel right to you. My 26 was first, then I got a 23, which felt and shot even better (and still fits all my 26 holsters!). It is an awesome point shooter. I suppose there should be a full size in my future, probably 9mm for mag capacity and control, and so I can use these 33 rd mags as well...

#27 ·
You should have some knowledgeable person explain (and physically show) you the Glock safeties and how they work. If you don't pull the trigger, it can't go bang. It simply is unable to fire unless the trigger is depressed.
If you don't carry chambered, you're just carrying an expensive rock. A good holster secures the weapon and covers the trigger.
When I purchased my first Glock, I too was concerned about the safety and carrying with a round chambered too. The person at my LGS demonstrated how the glock works with a XD. The XD is also a dao pistol as well as the glock. In the back of the slide there is the back of the firing pin exposed. My dealer racked the slide and then had me put my finger firmly on that pin. As he slowly squeezed the trigger, I felt the pin push up against my finger before it dry fired. He explained that, just like the XD, the glock is not fully cocked until you physically pull the trigger. i.e safe action

I have no safety concerns with my glocks with a round chambered. It is only half cocked.

#5 ·
If I could only have two pistols....Glock 19 and Glock 26. Throw in a couple of 33 round mags like Yankeejib shows in his pic
and you are good to go. Just a heads up....learn to carry a gun with or without an external safety. The only safety that matters is the one between your ears and the statement that you feel more safe with an external safety just shows you need more practice and experience to be sure of your own ability to not shoot yourself in the foot. Start out carrying around your house with one in the chamber and go about your day. Carry in a good holster that covers the trigger guard and no Glock will fire without you pulling the trigger. Its normal to feel uneasy about carrying a live loaded pistol but will subside very quickly after you practice at home before going out in the world with a live one chambered. Took me a couple of weeks before I had the courage to carry live all the time.

the best CCW pistol combo on the planet IMO.

#8 ·
The safety issue is something that you will overcome with training. The more you learn the better you will understand that the gun is perfectly safe, as long as you keep your finger off the trigger.
You will also find there is no such thing as the perfect carry gun. That will change over time and with experience. Google "Gun Ranges" in the Columbus area and see if they have the guns available to shoot. Not sure if they have HK P2000, but I can't imagine any range not having a Glock.

Reactions: Philly Boy
#9 · (Edited)
HK:
-HK also has a very great reputation and I've heard nothing but great things about the P2000sk

-The presence of a safety gives me great piece of mind
My personal choice is the HK P2000SK. The Glock is also a good choice . No wrong answer here...BUT... if you are leaning towards the HK because it has a safety, then you've been misinformed. The P2000sk has no external safety, at least mine doesn't. That is one of the reasons I like the gun by the way. The pistol has a decocker on one trigger variant but not in the LEM trigger variant. Neither sports a safety.

IMHO, you can't choose a better compact than the HK, but I wouldn't want you to choose it for the wrong reason. Choose it because it is uber-reliable, very accurate, very easy to shoot well, moderates recoil well and has a long useful life, not because of a feature that isn't there. If you absolutely must have a safety then the HK USP Compact is the next best.

I carry the HK and my son carries the Glock. We shoot together a few times a year and we always swap guns. I like his Glock to shoot, but I prefer a hammer on my CCW. The P2000sk accepts the USPc mags so one can get 13+1 rounds loaded if one desires.

Perhaps you have this HK confused with the new P30s, which does have a safety.

#10 ·
Based solely on the G26 or a H&K I would go with the Glock hands down. I'm not knocking H&K at all, I just don't have any experience with them. You mentioned that you own a P250 full size, I love mine. Did you ever think of getting one in sub-compact? I have all 3 sizes of the P250 and I love them all, and as you mentioned you want the capability of switching out magazines. You can do the same thing with the P250s.

#11 ·
First, there isn't a perfect carry weapon. Because there are trade-offs in weight and size, caliber, etc. just find one that you are comfortable with, shoot well, and trust. Shoot as many and as much you can before buying. I carry the G26 quite often and I have no complaints about as a 9mm carry.

#14 ·
As to the hesitation about carrying chambered and needing an external safety, you'll get more comfortable as time goes on. There are a number of helpful threads addressing that topic that offer good advice, such as carrying around the house to get used to it, taking classes, etc.

That being said, another thing to think about that you may appreciate is that with your thumb firmly on the hammer of the P2000sk as you holster/reholster, you'll feel any snags, etc. that you may be worried about. Thumb on hammer, finger off trigger when handling should remedy most if not all of your concerns. Larger P30 mags also work with the P2000sk IIRC, so you have interchangeability as well if you wanted to do the compact + full size thing with the H&Ks instead of Glocks.

FWIW, my carry is a P2000 (non-sk version) LEM, which I then had worked over by the folks at GGI. I can't imagine a better all-around pistol. If I could only own one, this would be it (not to knock Glock or anything else, just OMO).

#18 ·
I would rather have a gun without an abbreviated grip, so I would go up a size and chose the P2000 or G19. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice as both are fine guns. Good luck, welcome to the forum, follow through with training and you'll be set.

#19 · (Edited)
As an old instructor I am asked the question all the time, what is the best gun to carry/ The answer depends on many things. First and foremost, carry a gun you can shoot well. If you ever have the misfortune of having to fire a round in public, remember, you own it. You must be able to hit the intended target and nothing else. Shoot through can be a real danger to innocent bystanders, so pick a caliber and bullet that does the job, but doesn't hit a person the the next county. The next issue in picking a firearm, is one that you can carry all the time in any form of dress. Deciding on how you plan to carry will eliminate a lot of firearms from the list. If you carry you should carry all the time. If needed I would rather have a .380 in my pocket than a 44 magnum laying on the shelf at home. If I knew when and where I would need a gun, I wouldn't be there in the first place. The next issue is a firearm that is reliable, not much needs to be said here, but a firearm that can't go through 100+ rounds without a malfunction that is not due to the ammunition, is not something you would bet you life on. I would suggest renting or borrowing some of the guns you are interested in and trying them out at the range first before making a buying decision. Most of the ranges I shoot at, the fellow shooters are more than willing to let you try out what they are shooting and will usually tell you the good and bad about the firearms they have. Good luck in your selection.

#23 ·
Of the two guns you mention, either one are great choices. My advice is, get a hold of one of each and shoot them, handle them, find out which one of them that you feel more comfortable with and shoot the best. Then, buy that one.

Don't be scared to carry one in the chamber. Each of these models is designed to be carried safely with a round in the chamber. With an empty chamber you may as well carry a rock. When things go bad, it rarely happens in such a way that you have time to draw and rack a round into the chamber. You'll be lucky if you can draw and fire before being behind the curve.

#24 ·
Don't know anything about HK except what I hear and read, and what I hear and read is all excellent. The Glock 26 however is my EDC, and for me it is the perfect carry pistol. It shoots like a large pistol, and it is confortable to carry.

Carrying without one in the chamber, then might as well carry a brick. Just get a good holster that covers the trigger, and a couple of good gun belts. The Glock stays inside the holster 99.99% of the time.

#25 ·
If you think you will be uneasy with carring a Glock or any striker fired pistol with a trigger safety with one in the pipe then why are you considering these guns ?
Go with the H&K USP since $$ isn't an issue. It is traditional Double Action DA/SA, and looks like the 2000 pretty much. Believe me, I thought it would have been an issue too but I got used to it real fast. Just remember to keep your finger off the trigger until your gonna shoot the gun, and always carry a glock in a good holster. I don't suggest shoving it down your pants, you may lose your nuts that way ! It's not going to do you any good to carry unchambered especially in a gunfight with someone experienced ! If you fear it that much go with a DA/SA pistol instead.

#26 ·
My preferred carry gun is the Springfield XD line. It has a trigger safety like a Glock, with a nice little grip safety on the back. I like the extra safety personally, it eases my mind when holstering (which I do deliberately anyway).

My 2 XDs have been 100% reliable on any ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.