SIG 229 - Glock 32 - Springfield XD .357

SIG 229 - Glock 32 - Springfield XD .357

This is a discussion on SIG 229 - Glock 32 - Springfield XD .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious about the SIG, Glock, and Springfield. In your opinion: - Why is SIG the weapon of choice for the Secret Service over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG 229 - Glock 32 - Springfield XD .357

Post SIG 229 - Glock 32 - Springfield XD .357

I am curious about the SIG, Glock, and Springfield. In your opinion:

- Why is SIG the weapon of choice for the Secret Service over other handguns with similar ammunition?

- In regards to gun life longevity, is any one handgun designed to last longer than one or another?

- Also, if you have any important additional note to mention about any of the listed handguns, please mention them to me.

Thanks in advance!
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Tros, Don't own any of the three but would like to interject the following.

Have shot the Sig and the Glock.(BTW good-great choice of caliber for CCW) To me the Sig shot better. I also shot the Sig Pro 2340. It was a great shooter. The Glock grip just isn't for me.

Don't get hung up on different agency's "weapon of choice". I was in on a similar process when active duty military and I can tell ya that the "agency" does NOT have a very big input into the firearms that it is "allowed" to use/carry.

Most of the decission making process is governed by economics and politics. This,in the civilian community also.

I have talked to people that will buy/carry a certin weapon because the police dept in their community or state carries it. To me,this reasoning(alone) is just plain silly.

Back to your origional question >> Compare the decock feature and the Glock "no safety". Whatdaya think ??? ------

My speculation

I am just speculating on my answer, based on familiarity with Glocks and Sigs and some knowledge of how government agencies make decisions. I would guess that Sigs are preferred over Glocks by the Secret Service because:

1. Sigs (aluminum framed) tend to be more accurate than Glocks of the same caliber in the hands of most shooters, due to heavier weight and a smoother trigger pull. I suspect that the Secret Service prizes accuracy in a handgun fairly highly.

2. Sigs (DA/SA) are probably less prone to negligent discharge than Glocks because of the normally heavier first trigger pull. The Secret Service administrators must "hate" the embarassment of negligent discharges.

3. The somewhat higher price of the Sigs is probably not a problem to a well-funded agency like the Secret Service. Gun cost is probably insignificant compared to their other costs.

4. Sigs are at least as robust and maintenance free as Glocks, in my opinion.

Talking

SIGs are better...plain and simple....

Just kidding...as stated earlier, it comes down politics and money--all are fine weapons (tho, I've only shot the SIG and Glock...) If you were looking to purchase any of the above, you couldn't go wrong--go with whatever feels more comfortable for you to carry and shoot.

Mike in VA

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    I am curious about the SIG, Glock, and Springfield. In your opinion:

- Why is SIG the weapon of choice for the Secret Service over other handguns with similar ammunition?

- In regards to gun life longevity, is any one handgun designed to last longer than one or another?

- Also, if you have any important additional note to mention about any of the listed handguns, please mention them to me.

Thanks in advance!

After having fired all of the above, the SIG just handles the recoil better. Faster recovery from recoil = quicker follow-up shots.

For me the grip angle on the SIG is better than the XD, which is better than the Glock.

Finally (and probably the overriding factor), in a combat situation you want to be able to have second strike capability (the ability to try and fire a round again if it doesn't go off with the first trigger pull), neither the Glock or the XD offers that. On both you have to cycle the slide a bit to get the trigger to reset, thus having to regain the sight picture (not good). With the SIG you just squeeze the trigger again, and hopefully the round will go off. If not you have to go into Glock mode and recycle the slide anyway.

As for durability. They all should last a long time if properly cared for.

Me. I carry the P229 in .357SIG
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I think any of the guns you mentioned above should last a long time if cared for properly.

I can't answer why the Secret Services carry's Sig...

I personally own a Sig P229 .40 cal. so you know what my choice would be

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also, factor in 2nd strike capability....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I don't care which of the above pistols you own, all good pistols, but if I didn't have a barrel in .40S&W to go along with the .357Sig, I'd buy one. Same gun, same magazines, two calibers.

Jungle Work

I'd go with SIG on the simple fact that they were involved in the innovation of this round/platform. I love Glocks....but when I get a .357sig....which at will at some point....it will be a SIG. To me, glocks are best suited for their 9mm offerings.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Glock is the Issue weapon of the Worlds Most Prestious Law Enforcement Agency, "Federal Bureau of Investigation". Sig is the only other handgun approved for carry, unless an agent serving on HRT, they carry Springfield Armory 1911's. However, in saying that, I support what RSSZ stated about the politics involved in making choices.

Second strike capability is great. However on Glock and XD there are no safeties switches to worry about during those few seconds of shear terror unlike SIG.

It is safe to say that you cannot go wrong with any of the choices listed.

I have a friend in the Secret Service we belong to the same gun club. Our wifes are high school best friends. I'll ask him to see if he knows why SS went with Sigarms.

I have shot the P229 in .357 Sig and .40. I also own an XD Service in .357 Sig which I carry and XD 9 mm SC. Sig's have less felt recoil but can be more operator intense then the XD or Glock. The problem I had was the Sig is an all metal firearm. Needless to say it weighed my pants down and they felt like they were always sliding down / falling off. So I went with the XD because it was lighter and I like the grip over the Glock. The Glock didn't fit my hand as well which is probably the biggest complaint you hear on Glock.

I'm not sure longevity is the question you want to ask. Reliability is probably a better question. Most of your modern firearms will last well over 25,000+ rounds. Which is probably more then most of us will shot through a single gun. I have read about the torture tests on all 3 you might do some searching.

XD Firearms Torture test 20,000 Rounds
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou...SPstory11.html

See if your local gun range has rentals to shoot. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 you picked, they would also be my top 3.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    "However on Glock and XD there are no safeties switches to worry about during those few seconds of shear terror unlike SIG."

There are no manual safeties on a Sig, either.

Another, stranger reason the Secret Service might go with Sigs are the higher cost. Imagine if something happened to the President and the agency armed you with a "cheap" gun that malfunctioned, for whatever reason. Kind of a "snob appeal" reason.

I have no idea why an agency choses one over the other. I personally find Sigs to have a much better quality overall and I can shoot them better. The Glocks and XDs tend to feel almost toyish when compared next to Sigs IMO. Sigs do not have a manual saftey, unless they are SAO which I have never heard them being issued. Glocks saftey system is inspired by Sigs afterall. So they really shouldn't be considered much if any different. Also the DA first pull makes the gun safer.

I have a Sig 220 and love it and I will be buying either a 229 or 239 in 40 as my next handgun. It will be a long time before I consider another manufacturer.

Thank you all for your insight. :)
    Beretta 92FS

I love my XD-40sc.
    Springfield Armory took key features from the Glock, SIG and 1911. They included the 1911's grip angle and grip safety, the Glock polymer frame and striker-fired ignition, and the barrel lock up and takedown system of the SIG Sauer. The result? The XD Series.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links