LCP vs. LC9 - why ? - Page 2

LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

This is a discussion on LCP vs. LC9 - why ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ruger (1).JPG I have both LCP 380 and LC9 also the SR9C. The LCP is a weapon for CC only up close and need it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

ruger (1).JPGI have both LCP 380 and LC9 also the SR9C.
    The LCP is a weapon for CC only up close and need it right now,easy to carry but you better get use to it. Trigger pull is long for a reason built with no safety because those that carry that type weapon don't want them.
    LC9 fine smaller 9mm a bit harder to conceal but slim enough it can be done by smaller people. Bit of a long trigger pull again even with a safety most do not use it on this type of weapon. In fact many remove it. If you want shorting the pull is easy to do and if the Mag safety bugs you than can also be removed.
    SR9c getting wider Nice weapon IMO.
    Put them all in a row depends on how and when you plan to carry.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I think the LCP fills a niche that the LC9 cannot. A true deep concealment piece that can be carried when nothing else will suffice.
    Exactly. I don't love my LCP but it's been reliable as gravity, concealable as a quarter, and easy to feed (eats my reloads till my hand can't stand to shoot it any more). I've never gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since I bought it. I don't enjoy shooting it, but I do that anyway. It's the CCW gun of last resort. Plan E. It isn't going anyplace.

I had an LC9. It lasted one month before being sold. It was no easier to conceal than my G26. It isn't even in the contest with my G26 for shootability. Nuff said.

I carry one of the following in order of preference: G19, G26, SIG P238, LCP (right this moment it's the G19). There hasn't been a time I couldn't hide the LCP someplace when I wanted to be armed. The P238 is almost as small, but even though it's very very slightly bigger, there are times I can't hide that as well as I like a gun concealed and the LCP gets the nod.

I'm really really REALLY hoping the P938 (very slightly scaled up P238 in 9mmP) is to the P238 as the P238 is to the LCP. I want a micro 9. I thought the Kimber Solo was going to be it. The concept, size, features were right in there, but the reliability isn't. I don't have to like shooting it. I'm more than willing to practice with a shooting glove on. But it needs to be small, have a decent trigger, excellent sights, no more than a 6 round flush magazine, 3" or shorter barrel, 0.85" max slide thickness, and a real trigger, not one of these long walks in the park waiting to stumble over something triggers like most of the micro-9 offerings. A trigger like the trigger on the P238 would be dead solid perfect.

Fitch
    Philly Boy likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Hold an LCP380 then hold the LC9 much more of a difference than you might think. I have both

I know this thread is almost a year old, but wanted to chime in anyway. My wife and I have avoided .380 for our concealed carry choices, opting instead for various glock 9mm or .45s. However, we've found there are some instances with business attire where it's difficult for my wife to conceal, and she dislikes relying on her primary carry that is in her purse. She recently settled on minute Ruger LCP for an invisible ankle carry. The LC9 was just enough larger that it wasn't working despite her desire to make it work. Sometimes you just have to acquiesce to what fits the best and that you'll EDC beyond a doubt. I feel better that on those days when her preferred EDC has to ride in her purse, she still has something on her person that provides a backup.

On another note: After putting a couple hundred rounds through the LCP at the range, I have a new respect for the very punchy bark this tiny gun packs. After it started rubbing my hand raw, I had to start using offhand and one hand positions to vary things a bit. What really started working for me was an aggressively firm grip, but I don't think I would have found that out if I had stopped after 100 rounds. The shot placement got better as well.

I am now considering the LCP as an ankle carry "disaster backup" as well..... best option, NO..... better than bringing a knife to a gunfight, YES.

I love my LCP have for a long time. Don't like the LCI on the 9mm or the mag disconnect. That is why I own a CM9 instead. IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

My LCP is my pocket gun, it is the only one small and light enough to be comfortable in MY pocket.
    I have a LC9 that I carry OWB in jacket weather. IWB just doesn't work for me.
    I tried a Kahr PM40 for my pocket, but it was to heavy for comfort besides it wasn't very dependable.

I just recently started carrying. I just purchased the LC9. I usually carry a .45 Colt Officers. I also carry a Ruger SR9 C. I feel the 9mm is the smallest that I would trust to save my life. I am having trouble with holsters, so that's why the LC9. It fits in my cargo pants pretty nicely a d will work with cargo shorts in the summer. I like the Colt, but 2 lbs. of steel on my hip is a drag sometimes.

How much of a real weight difference is the LC9 compared to the SR9? Do you always carry two pistols at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    The big difference is that the LCP will easily fit in almost any pocket. The LC9 is pushing the limit when you add a holster, unless you have large pockets. You'll also notice the weight difference during pocket carry.
    Yes I have the LC9 AND A .380 ( KEL TEC) the LC9 IS THE MAX i CAN POCKET CARRY .

I really like them bolth

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    The lcp has been known to be a bit more reliable than the lc9 and is much easier to conceal. Thats why i chose the lcp, lc9 is still a good gun tho.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    Deep conceal is really the only appealing part of the LCP. I traded mine as I just couldnt' comfortably shoot the snappy little thing with my larger hands. It might fit yours fine. The LC9 which I've only held and dry fired is a while different thing but was turned off by the multiple safety features that dont' fit my needs.
    I had an LCP and loved the way it disappeared in my pocket w/holster. If you can get past the lack of useable sights, the LCP is very accurate. I have put 3 shots in 1" group at 7 yards. I didn't think that the LCP had bad recoil, but I'm not recoil sensitive anyway.

After a lot of agonizing over .380 expansion and penetration, or lack of, I traded it in for an LC9 which is now my EDC w/ and extra mag.

The LC9 is a little too big for pocket carry. I don't mind the added safety features, I don't use the thumb safety anyway. The LCI and mag disconnect don't bother me. The sights are definitely much better on the LC9 over the LCP. I thought the trigger pull was a little better on the LCP, but I fixed my LC9 by installing a Galloway trigger kit. Once you get used to the LC9 trigger, groups of one big hole in the target are possible.

I would not think that the LCP has anything over the LC9 other than ease of concealment in a pocket. The LC9 has the edge in ballistics of the 9mm over the .380. Which feature is more important to you, OP?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

LCP

I have carried an LCP almost every day for almost 1 year. It shoots well surprised me actually. I dislike 380. I dislike short sight radius guns. I dislike small frames. But I live in a hot place and must where professional clothing. The LCP is the only one I can carry. I have S&W air wight 38s love them can not carry them pocket carry in In dress pants. I have had almost all autos from Glock many 1911s, Sigs love them but can not conceal them in back or front pocket carry. I like the p238 but the wight would make a big difference in the front pocket sag. I could not carry an LC9 in a pocket. If I have a jacket on or a shirt that is not tucked in or a bag why not a Glock or Walther? If I could pocket carry a 9mm with out it sagging I would but I have yet to find one. Even the LCP can be a bit big some times in thin pants in the front pocket with a good holster or to long for some rear pockets. I make it work every day. I am also waiting for the perfect pocket 9.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have carried an LCP almost every day for almost 1 year. It shoots well surprised me actually. I dislike 380. I dislike short sight radius guns. I dislike small frames. But I live in a hot place and must where professional clothing. The LCP is the only one I can carry. I have S&W air wight 38s love them can not carry them pocket carry in In dress pants. I have had almost all autos from Glock many 1911s, Sigs love them but can not conceal them in back or front pocket carry. I like the p238 but the wight would make a big difference in the front pocket sag. I could not carry an LC9 in a pocket. If I have a jacket on or a shirt that is not tucked in or a bag why not a Glock or Walther? If I could pocket carry a 9mm with out it sagging I would but I have yet to find one. Even the LCP can be a bit big some times in thin pants in the front pocket with a good holster or to long for some rear pockets. I make it work every day. I am also waiting for the perfect pocket 9.
    Have you considered ankle carry for the LCP? It's the only way my wife can carry in dress pants and she finds it very comfortable.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

Quote Originally Posted by hobobum View Post
    what would gain from picking the .380 over the 9mm when they are so close in size and price ? What am I not seeing?
    thanks
    They are both great pistols! Get one of each should the opportunity present itself. For me, seasonal weather and dress dictate which to carry. Good luck in whatever choice you make. Incidentally, I personally find them to be equally reliable.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by robertov416 View Post
    Have you considered ankle carry for the LCP? It's the only way my wife can carry in dress pants and she finds it very comfortable.
    I might have to look into that I do not mind pocket carry most days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links