LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

This is a discussion on LCP vs. LC9 - why ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what would gain from picking the .380 over the 9mm when they are so close in size and price ? What am I not seeing? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

LCP vs. LC9 - why ?

what would gain from picking the .380 over the 9mm when they are so close in size and price ? What am I not seeing?
    thanks

2. Remove Ads

While they 'appear' close in size, they are quite different - especially in weight... I wish I liked the LCP, but other than the size, I hate everything about it.

The two really do differ in size plus lc9 has a locking slide, my wif carries an lcp and she really would have issues concealing an lc9 in the same manner, even thoghthey are close to each other they both have thier place in the market (plus if ruger comes out with an engraved stainless slide lc9 with a gold emblem I can have a matched set)

The LCP can't be used as a range gun, in my experience, but you can put many rounds through the LC9 and not kill your hand with the recoil. I've had both and the LCP was a real loser for my money; maybe not for yours, though.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

they're not really that close in size and weight,also if you prefer a thumb safety,mag disconnect,internal lock,loaded chamber indicator plus the loooong trigger pull get the lc9..i'll take the lcp any day

The big difference is that the LCP will easily fit in almost any pocket. The LC9 is pushing the limit when you add a holster, unless you have large pockets. You'll also notice the weight difference during pocket carry.
    surefire7 and ASSA9 like this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Uh-oh. Here we go again. :-)

I may try to stay out of this one.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

My EDC is an LC9. Easy weight on a belt and the mags are still slim. The gun has excellent point indexing. The trigger is a long hard pull. I want to get a trigger job to 6 pounds. 9 mm is universal for availability and load options.
    Skillet Hot!

I think the LCP fills a niche that the LC9 cannot. A true deep concealment piece that can be carried when nothing else will suffice.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I think the LCP fills a niche that the LC9 cannot. A true deep concealment piece that can be carried when nothing else will suffice.
    Deep conceal is really the only appealing part of the LCP. I traded mine as I just couldnt' comfortably shoot the snappy little thing with my larger hands. It might fit yours fine. The LC9 which I've only held and dry fired is a while different thing but was turned off by the multiple safety features that dont' fit my needs.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

The LCP can be concealed by almost anyone except maybe a stripper.

The LC9 requires huge pockets to conceal.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I see little correlation between the two. Ruger marketing loves to put them on the same page, as though there is some relation...

I suppose that other than size, weight, caliber, ergonomics and features, they are related by manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The LCP can be concealed by almost anyone except maybe a stripper.

The LC9 requires huge pockets to conceal.
    I dont know... it could probaly be concealed by a stripper also.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

After I bought my LCP I heard about the LC9. Still have not seen one yet, except in ads, I guess if I bought one they would come out with a LC10.(LOL).the LCP works well for me.

If possible, take a look at the Kahr CM9. I believe it is a bit smaller than the LC9 and the trigger is certainly better (my opinion). I've shot the LC9 (owned by a relative) and I own a Kahr p380 (my very first gun). Based on my very positive experience with my 380, I bought the CM9. I've been very pleased. The CM9 is a fairly long pull but very very nice. I prefer it way more than the LC9. I also have a Walther PPS which I also like. It is not that much bigger than the LC9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links