Need ideas on what product to use

This is a discussion on Need ideas on what product to use within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a nice Colt Officers 1911 with a high-polish stainless finish. I love the finish but it is a streaking, smudging, fingerprint magnet. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need ideas on what product to use

I bought a nice Colt Officers 1911 with a high-polish stainless finish. I love the finish but it is a streaking, smudging, fingerprint magnet. I understand this is normal for high-polished stainless, but what product can I use that will:

A-protect against corrosion (carry gun in humidity)
    B-keep clean and resist smudging/fingerprints
    c-long lasting protection

2011-12-14_09-11-28_936.jpg

Bad pic-Smooth polish in reality. It is just showing oil streaks.

"Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK" comes to mind.

But seriously nice pistol. I don't really have any recommendations on what products to use. That is the problem with pretty pistols, you can't keep them clean and they look crappy if they are not clean. May invest in some white cotton gloves for casual handling.
    WHEC724 and azchevy like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Not sure on guns but we use wd-40 to clean and protect vault doors. Just a small amount on a rag rubbed on thin and allowed to air dry.

Ha..I carry a glock 23 as well as a Kahr P9. Every now and then I roll out the ghetto-gun. I am thinking eezox?

Hippach "Semichrome Polish" is about the best I've ever found. A small tube is expensive at around $14, but just a little goes a long way in removing scratches, stains, wear haze, and whatever else from SS, chrome, or nickel plated anything.

A light wipe-down of any steel or alloy weapon with Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil does very well to protect against humidity and corrosion-inducing fingerprints while not making it slippery like trying to use polymer-based auto finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Hippach "Semichrome Polish" is about the best I've ever found. A small tube is expensive at around $14, but just a little goes a long way in removing scratches, stains, wear haze, and whatever else from SS, chrome, or nickel plated anything.

A light wipe-down of any steel or alloy weapon with Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil does very well to protect against humidity and corrosion-inducing fingerprints while not making it slippery like trying to use polymer-based auto finish.
    Mobil one synthetic really works?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK" comes to mind.

But seriously nice pistol. I don't really have any recommendations on what products to use. That is the problem with pretty pistols, you can't keep them clean and they look crappy if they are not clean. May invest in some white cotton gloves for casual handling.
    Haters gonna hate! You know deep down in your Joker little G19 loving heart, you wish you had a Colt too.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Colts are cool
    joker1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Haters gonna hate! You know deep down in your Joker little G19 loving heart, you wish you had a Colt too.
    I do have a Colt 1911, I also have a Firestorm 1911 that is shiny. Neither are real reliable but I'm sure at one time they were. They were well used when my Dad got a hold of them years ago. I like 1911's just fine, just appreciate The GLOCK for it's ultimate pistol status and my smart ass superpower flared up. Have a nice day C hawk Glock or should that be C hawk m & p?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Ouch. I like C hawk SIG better.

SO, back to the initial question..ha. Yes Glocks are reliable and Polished guns look flashy...great. But as I asked, what product could help?

Have you tried wiping it down with a silicone-impregnated cloth? That's what I use on all my guns. It doesn't irritate your skin if you carry IWB either (the way that CLP does). Takes the fingerprint smudges off the smooth finish of my friend's Beretta PX4, and doesn't leave it oily.

I agree with protek, silicon cleaning cloths work very well. I always use one on my Colt Combat Elite and my PPK, removes smudges and prints like a charm.
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Let's get right to the point. If you have a mirror type finish or highly polished it doesn't matter what you use....period. If you touch it, it'll have fingerprints and streaks; it goes with the territory. The items mentioned above are good for polishing/protecting but none help with finger prints, streaking or dust.

You have two choices. Polish it and put it on display and don't touch it or have a professional bead blast it for a matte or satin finish; or you can get a pro to coat it.

Gideon

Renaissance Wax.

Google "renaissance wax guns".

Small amount seems a bit expensive ($20) , but it takes using very little and goes a long way. Works perfect for eliminating the 'fingerprinting' , etc. on finishes. It is used by the Smithsonian on guns as well. It does not harm them in any way. It will make a nickel gun look the best it has ever looked while protecting the finish.

Get mine off Amazon.com

I also use it on music instruments that are obviously "touched " a lot when played, and no fingerprinting and leaving oils (which harm the finish over time) on them. Great on stainless, silver, nickel, etc. After using it, you won't have fingerprints showing up, etc. anymore on the finish. You might want to retouch it up it about once every year.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links