Berretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm or M&P Compact 9mm?

This is a discussion on Berretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm or M&P Compact 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to narrow down my next 9mm purchase. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and (AND) the M&P ...

Thread: Berretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm or M&P Compact 9mm?

Berretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm or M&P Compact 9mm?

I'm trying to narrow down my next 9mm purchase. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and (AND) the M&P Compact? The hand gun must have the accessory rail & 9mm. I prefer the next purchase to have a hammer (Beretta) but not sure about the rotating barrel . Pros and cons?

2. Remove Ads

Had a PX4 Storm 9mm Compact, and just couldn't warm up to it. I bought it because I wanted the same controls and features of my 92FS (which I love). The gun just wasn't 100% reliable out of the box. Also, I put it head to head with my Glock 19 in a mid-sized polymer 9mm matchup, and I greatly preferred the Glock. Yet another thing is that I tend to run guns on the dry side (I'm used to Glocks and they run fine when dry), and found that the Beretta would choke when run even slightly dry. I can't offer any sort of recommendation on a gun that displays any sort of finickyness when my G19 runs 100% reliably regardless of lubrication and on the cheapest Russian crap ammo I can buy.

tested a M&PC 9mm at my local gun shop's range, and thought the trigger was "squishy", and liked my Glock 19's sights a lot better. Once again, a head to head matchup, but at least the M&PC ran 100%.

Obviously, I'm a Glock guy, but of the two guns you're looking at, I would go for the M&PC 9mm. My 2 cents.

No contest ... Get the S&W M&Pc9 Too many Pros to list, so few Cons I can't think of any right now = you will not be disappointed

M&P9C. I hated the storm I played with. I carry my M&P compact everyday. It has never ever failed me, not once. Conceals well, lightweight, recoil is so easy to manage and safe as can be.

I've shot a storm and a G19 side by side. I also had a friend do the same thing. The Beretta proved to be a real good pistol. Very reliable and the single action trigger is excellent. I just don't care for DA/SA guns. I like the same consistent trigger pull each time.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

I've owned both and liked both. Either one should do good by you, so it boils down to personal preference, IMO.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I always go with a consistent trigger.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I have a full size PX4 40 and a M&P40c. I love them both and I keep looking at a PX4 compact. However I carry the M&Pc every day and it is just a hair less bulky than the PX4c AND... the only other gotch on the PX4 is the safety on the rear of the slide. It makes it hard on the hands to rack the slide. If you can deal with the safty you'll love either gun.

Max

M&P 9C is one of the best shooters I own, and the trigger is very nice. Not mushy and breaks very crisp.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My friend and I have an M&P 9 (not compact). He carries the PX4 compact, and I carry the Glock 26. I like all three. I am partial to the G26. M&P is really accurate and uncomplicated. I did spend a little time shooting his PX4 on my last range trip. Once I got over the variable trigger pull, I found it to be really accurate and fun to shoot. However, I don't like the safty lock on the slide... it adds bulk and makes the slide somewhat more difficult (and hard on the hands) to rack. Also, field stripping on both the PX4 and the M&P are more complicated than my Glock.

Otherwise, either are great pistols. I would still carry my G26 over either of the others. I think my second choice would be the M&P, figuring that the compact version is more or less like the full sized 9.

Links