Everyone still happy with their RIA 1911's. Don't see as many as I did

This is a discussion on Everyone still happy with their RIA 1911's. Don't see as many as I did within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like not too long ago there was a large variety of the Rock Island 45's being offered. Different features and finishes. Now when I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Everyone still happy with their RIA 1911's. Don't see as many as I did

Everyone still happy with their RIA 1911's. Don't see as many as I did

Seems like not too long ago there was a large variety of the Rock Island 45's being offered. Different features and finishes. Now when I check the online sites I see just a very few models. I know everyone was pretty excited about 'em a while back. How have they held up for you. If anyone here has one with the matte nickel finish, is it holding up. Is the parkerizing staying put. I tried to get some info at the Armscor site but couldn't really find more than a couple of pictures with almost no info on the differences between the models. How interchangeable are they with the actual 1911's? Anyone know of a site that will actually give me some info on them?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. Doesn't seem to be much chatter about them now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Interesting. Doesn't seem to be much chatter about them now.
    Actually there have been several threads on them,people still say they are the best priced entry level 1911.
    Sarco Inc has several models they offer in shotgun news,click the firearm link and the November ads,you can get a 1911 compact in the mid to high 300's,other models are gonna run from 400-450
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just baught a RIA 1911a1 cs yesterday, Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet,but love everything else about it so far.The neighbor and I are going to try to get some range time in tonight. I paid 475 at the lgs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have several friends that have RIA's and are very happy with them. I know at onetime they were very hard to find as people started purchasing them like crazy, well at least here in my area. Late last year to early this year several shops that sold RIA's told me that as soon as they got them in, they would be bought by someone within a day or 2 of them placing it in the display case. I am guessing they can only allowed to import so many or can only make so many so when you find one, buy it up quick. I am waiting for their new .22 TCM model with the extra 9mm barrel. God Bless
    gatorbait51 likes this.

i have my 1911 basic GI. have some black hogue grips on it. holds well! got it at 380 but seems like the price at buds is going up. I fired cheap herters 45 acp from cabelas and has no problem eating them. no ftf whatsoever. I fired the armscor version thats a police issue in the philippines which my cousin owns (philippine cop) and its also reliable
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

It seemed like most of the threads I could find were posted by guys who had just bought one along with congrat's from other recent buyers. I thought that sice they had been out for a while now there might be some feedback on how well they were holding up. Not just mechanicaly but also things like the finish. My son recently missed out on a S&W 4506 and now has the .45 bug. He was thinking about a matte nickel finish RIA. A good nickel job should hold up well but a bad one will make you rue the day you bought it. Myself personaly I would prefer to find him another 4506 but if the RIA's are holding up then that's just fine also.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

if you are looking for Rock Island Armory pistols on-line, do a search on Armscor Precision. They are offering several new RIA pistols with rails, night sights, Novak style sights etc.
    Welcome to Arms Corporation of the Philippines :: ARMSCOR :: Arms and Ammunition
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

That's because people with Rock Islands are out shooting them, not taking them out of the safe and polishing them while they're on the computer.

Just sayin'. :)

I have had mine for well over a year now (1911 CS)and it has the park finish. It is holding up great and still shoots like a dream. I have replaced the act mag with wilson combat and the action just keeps getting smoother and mo better!! Most of the folks that have told me that RI sucks have never owned one. I would recommend a Rock anytime.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I've had mine for several years. Bought it new for $280 so that shows how long ago it was. Still works great. Best bang for the buck.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Is that the original finish? An alternate choice to the RIA is the Para GI. I have to admit that I'm not totaly familiar with the Para but I like that it is made in the US. Still if the Rock Islands will perform the same job for about $100 less I suppose there's no problem. Are the Rock Islands close enough to mil spec that parts intended for a military 1911 will fit.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Still running strong after 3 years and lots of rounds.......100 percent happy with this 1911, and I have 4 other 1911's by other makers to judge it buy.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Is that the original finish? Are the Rock Islands close enough to mil spec that parts intended for a military
    1911 will fit.
    Yeah that's the original finish. It looks two-tone at times when the light strikes it right.

I've heard it's milspec though I've never checked.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I've owned three RIAs. The original two, a standard GI model, and a standard compact model were flawless. They fed pretty much anything.

However, the GI bit me pretty bad and the CS was a little heavy for carry, so I traded them on a full sized Tactical model. I had problems out of the box. The little tab on the sear spring was extending into the mag well. It was enough that my CMC and Wilson mags wouldn't slide in without forcing them in. However, the stock mag and MecGars worked okay (I'm guessing their sizing is a bit smaller). I had to take the spring out and file the tab down a bit. That problem was fixed.

During the first range trip, the slide constantly kept locking back with rounds still in the gun with Wilson, CMC, and MecGar mags. I noticed a bit of copper coloring on the slide release tab, so I assume that the bullet was coming into contact with the tab. I filed it down just a hair and no longer have the problem.

Since I prefer a GI style guide rod, I replaced the factory FLGR with a Fusion model. I'm not sure if it's the gun or the part, but the Tactical didn't agree with it at all. It binded up when cocking the gun.

When purchasing a RIA, be aware that although they are great guns, they might require a little bit of fluffing and buffing similar to a KelTec product. I don't trust it for self defense, but it makes a nice range gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links