Ruger LCP or S&W Bodygaurd?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP or S&W Bodygaurd? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard mixed reviews on these two guns. One CWP instructor I know says the LCP jams too much. Others say the bodyguard does. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: Ruger LCP or S&W Bodygaurd?

Ruger LCP or S&W Bodygaurd?

I have heard mixed reviews on these two guns. One CWP instructor I know says the LCP jams too much. Others say the bodyguard does.
    What are your thoughts/experiences with these two guns? Which one would you choose for CC?

2. Remove Ads

I had one of the first 1000 BG380's and had problems, and after 3 returns to S&W I asked for a full refund and they gave it to me. I liked the BG380 that much that I went right around and bought one of the newer ones and have close to 1000 rounds throught it and have not had any problems with it. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas and God Bless

Neither.

I'd get the Bodyguard out of those two though... maybe.

I had an LCP, had issues gallore, sent it in, they fixed it, no issues... still, I other than the size, I hated everything about that gun. Take down, shooting, feel, sights, everything. I know it's a close range gun, but I like to shoot my guns so I'm confident with them - I hated shooting it, hated cleaning it, well, you get the point.

Get a small revolver instead, that's my advice - or a CM9 for about the same price as the Bodyguard and you'll have a real gun in your pocket/holster.

My LCP has been great with somewhere around 1300 rounds through it. Both should be reliable, choose the pistol that fits your hand best.
    Buckj likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My LCP has only about 2-300 rounds through it, but has been totally reliable. No experience with the bodyguard.

I plan to buy a Bodyguard 380 soon. It feels much better in my hand. The LCP does not have much for sights. The LCP seems a bit smaller than the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Both should be reliable, choose the pistol that fits your hand best.
    Yup.

I rented and shot the BG and the extension on the end of the handle kept biting me.

Also, do you like lasers? If you have no intention on using the laser, I would pass on the BG.

But go and see if you can shoot them both.

I've shot both, and own the LCP. I wouldn't say the LCP is the most reliable gun, it will fail to eject sometimes. Target shooting I have mostly used nickel plated casings with gold dot hollow point bullets, 90 grain (not factory loaded). I've probably only got 200-300 rounds thru it. The bodyguard my dad has, it is a little bit bigger, from what I saw it was reliable, had no problems out of the box. I believe it is also heavier. You could look at the Kel-Tec P3AT, I've heard it's more reliable than the LCP. But it does not have a slide stop. Also, the laser on the bodyguard can be tricky to turn on, some guns are easier than others. Go to a gun show and hold several and turn the laser on, they aren't consistent. You can pop the rubber booty cover for the laser button and adjust the button a little, it will help for a while. Probably won't have time to turn it on for self defense, unless you really practice a lot.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I like my LCP. I also got one for my wife. I have put right around 1500 round through the one I carry and another 500 or so through my wife's. Other than a few FTE's early on with mine they have worked flawlessly. I have no personal experience with the BG, but it seems to have to much stuff on it, IMO. I want a deep concealment gun like that to be as simple and smooth as possible. Best of luck to ya.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Thanks for all the replies. I usually carry my G19 but am wanting a deep conceal gun. I like this size of gun or that purpose. I will check into some of the others mentioned. Some friends and I are getting together to shoot next week at a local range. I will try renting some of the smaller pistols there to see which ones fit my hand best and shoot the best.

I have a LCP. My dad has a BG380. The LCP is smoother on the draw from the front pocket. Other than that, flip a coin.

One note: I will be adding a BG380 to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews on these two guns. One CWP instructor I know says the LCP jams too much. Others say the bodyguard does.
    What are your thoughts/experiences with these two guns? Which one would you choose for CC?
    the CWP instructor is incorrect,from my experience and almost all the reviews i've read,the lcp is one of the most reliable pocket .380's available..i'm nearing 500rds through mine,not one single malfunction.i'd go with the lcp but i'm sure the S&W Bodyguard is also a good pocket .380....

I like the Bodyguard. The Lcp is too small for me. The bodyguard fits well in my hand and hides well. Nice sights, accurate, easy to clean. The laser is not for me, as I think under stress I would not use it. The activation button is not intuitive for me. Mine seems reliable with 1000 plus rounds through it and two jams. Could be I limp wristed the gun.
    To be honest I like a bigger caliber, but the gun size and its flatness work for me.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Me and the wife picked up the LCP last weekend, for her to carry and use, we had thought about getting the Bodyguard but after all the reviews and problems I read on it on the S&W sites, we went with the Ruger... she loves her little LCP and she can shoot it darn good LOL... I shot a couple mags though it and its just too small for my hands, she liked the feel of th of the BG but when it come down to it she just liked the more compact feel of the LCP.. now I just got to get her a nice holster for it... that she will acutally wear, or one she can carry in her purse ?? LOL..

Links