Walther PPS 40 - at the range.

Walther PPS 40 - at the range.

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 40 - at the range. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up my new PPS .40 on Monday. Man is this gun sexy for a polymer - first one I have actually bought. I mean ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Walther PPS 40 - at the range.

  1. #1
    Member Array Carnivoire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    48

    Walther PPS 40 - at the range.

    Picked up my new PPS .40 on Monday. Man is this gun sexy for a polymer - first one I have actually bought. I mean it just looks clean and crisp.

    Based on what I have read on the PPS .40 on forums (all over, mostly in the Walther forums) I was very aprehensive with my decision to purchase the .40 specifically.
    Reported problems specifically with the .40, heavy recoil, need for slip on grip/recoil cushion... the list goes on with the .40 but NOT with the 9mm.
    Just made it to the range today and after 250 rounds of 180grain FMJ (Gander had a special on the Blazer brass - bulk) I was pleasantly, not really supprised, but happy with my purchase. No feed, ejection or firing problems - bang every time.

    Other than needing to tweek the sights to a smidge to the right, the PPS performed flawlessly. No major recoil, in fact I found I did not really have to grip the gun to 'death' and could actually back off on the grip a little. My first impression was the gun grip seemed to feel 'slippery' - I did not notice myself adjusting my grip through the course of a magazine and it felt fine. Groupings for me were better then I expected to see at 25ft - could cover 30-40 rnds with my palm (minus the flier 10" away... yeesh). I was actually almost dreading this trip, thinking I may have made a poor purchase with the .40 instead of the 9mm. Not Any More

    side note...
    I did notice that I do need to work on my shoulder muscles more, as by the time I was finishing up my sights were not staying still as I wanted.


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Congrats on a great gun! I have the 9mm and love it. One thing I would recommend is a Hogue sleeve to make the grip more comfortable. Made a huge difference in comfort after a long day at the range, and adds no weight/size. This is what mine looks like with it on:

    IMAG0181.jpg

    Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Grip Handall Jr. Small Size Grip Sleeve: Sports & Outdoors
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  3. #3
    Member Array Carnivoire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    48
    Thanks Tread! I will check it out - does it grab or pull at your clothes as you move arround?
    Also, I like the Kydex holster style, but was wondering about comfort using IWB... yours?

  4. #4
    Member Array kinoons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    136
    I carry a walther pps daily, first a .40 and now a 9mm. I only changed because my PPS was the only .40 cal in a 9mm stable. Both pistols have operated perfectly. Both are more accurate than size would lead you to believe.

    Did you find Dmars lube and break in procedure? That will prevent 99% of all PPS issues.

  5. #5
    jyo
    jyo is offline
    Member Array jyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    326
    I too have a 9mm PPS and really suffered no "break-in" type problems---in fact, NO PROBLEMS at all! Neat, handy smaller pistol---I am glad your 40 is working for you.

  6. #6
    Member Array Blindeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    65
    This is my main carry pistol too. Prior to break-in, I followed the suggestions from the Walther forums regarding lubrication, and I haven't had any problems.
    I had the trigger done, and had the barrel and slide ported to reduce muzzle flip. It makes an amazing difference for follow up shots.
    To me this pistol is state of the art for it's size.

  7. #7
    Member Array Coltman 77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    406
    Congratulations.

    I've had a 9mm Walther PPS for several yrs. now and it's been a superb handgun. Accurate, easy to shoot and uber reliable with fmj and jhp ammo.

    IMO, Walther hit a home run with this pistol. It has a good trigger, is easy to take down for cleaning and conceals very nicely.

    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

  8. #8
    New Member Array outwardhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye View Post
    This is my main carry pistol too. Prior to break-in, I followed the suggestions from the Walther forums regarding lubrication, and I haven't had any problems.
    I had the trigger done, and had the barrel and slide ported to reduce muzzle flip. It makes an amazing difference for follow up shots.
    To me this pistol is state of the art for it's size.
    Where did you get this trigger job and porting done? Sounds like something I might be interested but I can't find anyone locally that works on the PPS. Can you post a pic, I'd like to see how the porting looks. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Member Array Carnivoire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    48
    Update...

    450 rounds now... stressfire training this weekend.
    1-4 rapid shots COM at a time and aimed shots, lots of reloading the small cap mags but what a great experience.
    Two fail to feeds - specificaly related to ME not seating the mag properly durring the 'tatical' reload (hard to get it snapped in tight & flush when my palm was pinched in there too.. lol OW!)
    The gun did everything I asked it to do with out blinking.

  10. #10
    New Member Array wmzjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13
    Still looking. I Like the reveiws on the PPS so far. So far have considered a Taurus Slim and Ruger LC9. To many bad reveiws on the Taurus Slim and dislike the trigger on the LC9. Have held both at my local gun shop but have not held the PPS (as they were out) sold like crazy when they got them in. The PPS is about 150 smacks more but seems to be worth the extra cost. The only negative for me is the removable grip strap safety. I think this is a little to much and could pose a issue. But with the grip sleeves this will negate the issue plus add some beef to the grip. Limbsaver also makes these. Looks like its going to be the Walther PPS, but I sure would like to hold one first. Online cost so far 472 to 550. This would make a good complememnt to my M&P 40.

  11. #11
    Member Array Carnivoire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    48
    I went to Gander Mtn to get my hands on one... bought from Dirt cheap - $150 less

  12. #12
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivoire View Post
    Thanks Tread! I will check it out - does it grab or pull at your clothes as you move arround?
    Also, I like the Kydex holster style, but was wondering about comfort using IWB... yours?
    I love the kydex Infidel from Comp-Tach. It allows me to easily take the whole setup off without the need to take me gun out of the holster. It's also 'clicks' in place and I can flip it upside down and shake it and it still retains the weapon (retention is adjustable). I don't have any issues with it pulling on my clothing no. Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - The Infidel Holster

    I am 5 foot 8 inches and 145 pounds, with a somewhat athletic build and I do not find it uncomfortable at all. I wear it at about 3 o'clock and it straight up just disappears on me!

    ShirtUp.jpgShirtDown.jpg
    Attached Images
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  13. #13
    Member Array Blindeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    65
    KIF_0313.jpgI had my PPS worked on at APWCogan (you can google it by that name, or also by the name Accurate Plating and Weaponry).
    His specialty is striker fired pistols, and my PPS was the first one of the PPS's he had done.

    I knew this gunsmith from when he used to be in Florida, near Tampa (did work on a few long guns for me).
    Turn around was quick, and the work excellent, and fairly priced.
    After the Walther, I sent him a S&W SD 40 pistol for a trigger job as well (also excellent).

    Years ago I had a highly custom 45 acp pistol made that was the size of the Colt Officers. Perfect in every way except one: neither I nor my friends could control the muzzle flip for rapid follow up.
    The recoil wasn't painful, but the barrel simply snapped up forcibly with each shot (and more so than even magnum pistols did).
    I put a "Hybrid Compensator" on it (quite new at the time), viola! I could actually shoot with the thing.

    Because of the compact size of the PPS, I had it ported right off the bat, but I broke it in without the porting so that I could see how it felt.
    It now feels like a "lite" 9mm load with full power 165 grain loads (40 S&W).
    Much better

    There are only 2 ports on the PPS, due to the length of the slide/barrel.
    A full size pistol would get 3 ports.

  14. #14
    Member Array Coltman 77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindeye View Post
    KIF_0313.jpgI had my PPS worked on at APWCogan (you can google it by that name, or also by the name Accurate Plating and Weaponry).
    His specialty is striker fired pistols, and my PPS was the first one of the PPS's he had done.

    I knew this gunsmith from when he used to be in Florida, near Tampa (did work on a few long guns for me).
    Turn around was quick, and the work excellent, and fairly priced.
    After the Walther, I sent him a S&W SD 40 pistol for a trigger job as well (also excellent).

    Years ago I had a highly custom 45 acp pistol made that was the size of the Colt Officers. Perfect in every way except one: neither I nor my friends could control the muzzle flip for rapid follow up.
    The recoil wasn't painful, but the barrel simply snapped up forcibly with each shot (and more so than even magnum pistols did).
    I put a "Hybrid Compensator" on it (quite new at the time), viola! I could actually shoot with the thing.

    Because of the compact size of the PPS, I had it ported right off the bat, but I broke it in without the porting so that I could see how it felt.
    It now feels like a "lite" 9mm load with full power 165 grain loads (40 S&W).
    Much better

    There are only 2 ports on the PPS, due to the length of the slide/barrel.
    A full size pistol would get 3 ports.
    Would you do us the courtesy of showing photos of these pistols?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

  15. #15
    Member Array Blindeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    65
    Did the picture not go through of the PPS above?
    It shows the slide pulled back so that you can see one of the ports in the barrel.

    The SD 40 that he did wasn't ported; just had the trigger done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

pps 40
,
pps 40 recoil
,
walther pps .40
,

walther pps .40 review

,

walther pps 40

,
walther pps 40 cal
,
walther pps 40 forum
,
walther pps 40 problems
,
walther pps 40 recoil
,

walther pps 40 review

,
walther pps review
,
walther pps trigger job
Click on a term to search for related topics.