Got my Model 10 from Bud's!

This is a discussion on Got my Model 10 from Bud's! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Just noticed. That's one of those ambidextrous Model 10s with thumb pieces on both sides, heh! Looks like the cylinder swings ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Got my Model 10 from Bud's!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Just noticed. That's one of those ambidextrous Model 10s with thumb pieces on both sides, heh! Looks like the cylinder swings both ways.
    LOL, I looked at the pics and thought "what the heck" until I remembered that my computer's camera takes mirror image pictures.

2. Remove Ads

Range report:

The gun was a ton of fun at the to shoot, and the accuracy was only limited by my crappy shooting abilities.

Anyway, here is two cylinders worth of shots at a target at 35 feet (indoor range).

S&W_target.jpg
    pistola and bmcgilvray like this.

That is a very nice M10...especially for the price. All my M10s were square grip and always wanted a round grip one like yours. My M13 3" is one of best shooting handguns I've ever owned. Good shootin'!

KSP
    Just got my 3 inch and my 4 inch Model 10's! Both look 70-80%, as advertised (though i don' really know what 70-80% really looks like). The bluing is a little worn at muzzle, and the grips are worn a bit (but not beat up), and there are maybe a few extra spots of wear, but overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Both are in great mechanical shape, they appear to have been shot very little (The cylinders look spotless), and the triggers are smoooooth. The 3 inch has a lighter pull then the 4, but both are smoother then my sp101. I'll get some picks when I can figure out how to. I picked em up at lunch and put 50 downrange. At $269 each, a great deal!

GM
    I like it a lot . Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Nice. A model 10 was the first duty weapon issued me back in 1980. And not even the bull barrel one. We were required to sign for it.

But I already had a model 19 2 1/2" that held me in good stead for about <3-years before I went with a SIG-Sauer P-226. That switch was not too long after the Trooper Lamonico shootout on the NJ Turnpike, as well as several high profile NYC area incidents of Black Liberation Army radicals with high cap 9mms.

KSP
    photo(8).jpgphoto(9).jpg

photo(10).JPG

Just loving these guns. Curious if anyone can help me with some dates from serial numbers

4 inch
    CCTxxxx
    model 10-11

3 inch
    D70xxxx
    model 10-5

And does anyone know if I need to worry about the firing pin that is on the end of the hammer (on 10-5). It seems like its a flimsy piece, even though it appears in normal working order.

bmcgilvray and lowercase like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Just noticed. That's one of those ambidextrous Model 10s with thumb pieces on both sides, heh! Looks like the cylinder swings both ways.

^^^^^Don't be silly^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats the Super Duper Deluxe model 10.

Looks like some trick photography.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    photo(8).jpgphoto(9).jpg

photo(10).JPG

Just loving these guns. Curious if anyone can help me with some dates from serial numbers

4 inch
    CCTxxxx
    model 10-11

3 inch
    D70xxxx
    model 10-5

And does anyone know if I need to worry about the firing pin that is on the end of the hammer (on 10-5). It seems like its a flimsy piece, even though it appears in normal working order.

Your 4-inch was likely produced sometime in 1994.

Your 3-inch was likely produced in the second half of 1974.

Don't be concerned with the hammer-mounted firing pin on your Smith & Wesson revolver. It is not flimsy at all. I love Smith & Wesson revolvers and have a number of them. Have traded in and out of a bunch more. I've had several of my Smith & Wesson revolvers since the 1970s and have subjected them to heavy use including a lot of dry-firing. I've yet to have my first firing pin failure (he says just before the firing pin breaks on the revolver he intends to take deer hunting sometime over the next few days).

I don't care for the new Smith & Wesson revolvers with their frame-mounted firing pins. I feel the firing pin strike is more cushioned with the firing pin mounted in the frame. It's not something that would normally be noticed but might be a little more prone to light firing pin strikes. The hammer-mounted firing pin is more positive in my view.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links