Defensive Carry banner

Got my Model 10 from Bud's!

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
Picked up my Model 10 today. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of this weapon. I had seen some recent reviews which said the guns weren't as nice as the previous batch, and had only about 50-60% bluing. Mine is easily at 80% and looks great. There is some holster wear at the muzzle as expected, and the grips show a lot of wear. My only regret is that I didn't also grab one of the 3-inch Model 10s before they sold out.

The mechanicals of this gun are great, and it moves like a Swiss watch. The bore and crown are awesome, too. I already have a set of factory replacement grips on the way, and will send off an order for a Tyler T-grip tomorrow (I like the classic/retro look). Can't wait to take this thing to the range tomorrow! :image035:

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking gun. Enjoy.

Reactions: oneshot
#4 ·
Outstanding!!

Watch out on ordering the Tylers. I've heard some horror stories about them taking your money and delays in shipping, or not shipping at all.

#6 ·
I read all about it on a revolver forum. According to the posters there, Tyler's has since changed hands and has shipped all of their back orders. They are supposedly shipping at about 6-10 days from order now. I went to the Tyler's site and it said the same thing, so I'm hopeful (fingers crossed).

#9 ·
Say, that does look quite nice. A set of clean factory grips will finish the clean appearance. Then you can start beating it up in use.

I always liked the feel of the round butt K-Frame Smith & Wesson with factory grips. They even work for Model 19 2 1/2-inch with full-power 357 Mangnum loads.

Would be interested in your shooting impression after your range trip.

Reactions: lowercase
#12 ·
Just noticed. That's one of those ambidextrous Model 10s with thumb pieces on both sides, heh! Looks like the cylinder swings both ways.

Reactions: gasmitty
#19 ·
Just got my 3 inch and my 4 inch Model 10's! Both look 70-80%, as advertised (though i don' really know what 70-80% really looks like). The bluing is a little worn at muzzle, and the grips are worn a bit (but not beat up), and there are maybe a few extra spots of wear, but overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Both are in great mechanical shape, they appear to have been shot very little (The cylinders look spotless), and the triggers are smoooooth. The 3 inch has a lighter pull then the 4, but both are smoother then my sp101. I'll get some picks when I can figure out how to. I picked em up at lunch and put 50 downrange. At $269 each, a great deal!

:danceban:

#21 ·
Nice. A model 10 was the first duty weapon issued me back in 1980. And not even the bull barrel one. We were required to sign for it.

But I already had a model 19 2 1/2" that held me in good stead for about <3-years before I went with a SIG-Sauer P-226. That switch was not too long after the Trooper Lamonico shootout on the NJ Turnpike, as well as several high profile NYC area incidents of Black Liberation Army radicals with high cap 9mms.

#24 ·
View attachment 55175 View attachment 55176

View attachment 55177

Just loving these guns. Curious if anyone can help me with some dates from serial numbers

4 inch
CCTxxxx
model 10-11

3 inch
D70xxxx
model 10-5

And does anyone know if I need to worry about the firing pin that is on the end of the hammer (on 10-5). It seems like its a flimsy piece, even though it appears in normal working order.

:danceban:
Your 4-inch was likely produced sometime in 1994.

Your 3-inch was likely produced in the second half of 1974.

Don't be concerned with the hammer-mounted firing pin on your Smith & Wesson revolver. It is not flimsy at all. I love Smith & Wesson revolvers and have a number of them. Have traded in and out of a bunch more. I've had several of my Smith & Wesson revolvers since the 1970s and have subjected them to heavy use including a lot of dry-firing. I've yet to have my first firing pin failure (he says just before the firing pin breaks on the revolver he intends to take deer hunting sometime over the next few days).

I don't care for the new Smith & Wesson revolvers with their frame-mounted firing pins. I feel the firing pin strike is more cushioned with the firing pin mounted in the frame. It's not something that would normally be noticed but might be a little more prone to light firing pin strikes. The hammer-mounted firing pin is more positive in my view.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.