S&w M65 3"

S&w M65 3"

This is a discussion on S&w M65 3" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to Raleigh Tuesday. I wandered in to Lawmens Safety Supply. They had alot of used revolvers for a change. There were a few ...

Thread: S&w M65 3"

S&w M65 3"

I went to Raleigh Tuesday. I wandered in to Lawmens Safety Supply. They had alot of used revolvers for a change. There were a few nice pre lock S&W's and some Colt's. I was looking at a nice M65 4" barrel, when the salesman asked if he could show me anything. I told him I wished he could show me a M65 as nice as the one in the case with a 3" barrel. Hold on, he say's, I've got one of those.. Goes under the case and pulls out a nice M65-6 with 3" tube. It was dirty, but locked up tight, and didn't appear to have been shot much. No scratches or holster wear either. A fella who bought it here some years ago traded it in yesterday. How much? $350, sold to me. It has the floating firing pin, and integral cylinder stop (nothings perfect). The good news is, one piece barrel, no lock, 3" 357 like new for $350. I'm the happy guy. Regards 18DAI.

Very nice....will never go out of style! Will this be a new carry piece?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Congrats on picking up a nice pistol at a good price. Clean it up and shoot it and tell us how you like it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Classic carry revolver

The S&W model 65 with 3 inch barrel is considered by many to be one of the classic carry revolvers in .357 magnum. You are fortunate to find one for $350. I have attached a picture of one person's carry setup with this gun (not my own).
    Attached Images

WJP9 - It will probably replace my M66-4 3" for off duty carry. Thanks for the responses. I'll post a range report in a few weeks. Regards 18DAI.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a M65 with a 4 inch and it sees time as a carry piece when I don't want to carry the SIG. You have got yourself a great revolver. I love mine.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    My 65-5 is a dandy and a carry favorite.

I've had a 'smith friend bob the hammer to match the profile of a 547's hammer, to make it easier to carry and to still leave me enough to allow SA fire. He also did an action job.

Here are some chrono results from the gun (I've got more, but they're not handy):

Sellier & Bellot .357 magnum 158-gr JSP
    average velocity 1077 fps, extreme spread of 37.47, standard deviation of 13.82.

Remington .38 spl +P 158-gr LSWCHP
    avg velocity 842.3 fps, ES 31.49, SD 12.88

Federal .38 spl +P+ 147-gr Hydra-Shok
    avg vel 896 fps, ES 25.4, SD 8.67

Winchester .357 145-gr STHP
    avg 1175 fps, ES 84.78, SD 32.93

Handload in .38 case (5.1 gr Unique/147-gr Rainier plated DEWC seated flush)
    avg vel 967.5 fps, ES 47.83, SD 17.52

Handload in .38 case (6.0 gr Unique/158-gr LSWCHP)
    avg 883.3 fps, ES 85.12, SD 39.03

Since the above photos were taken, I've replaced the stocks with the inexpensive black fiberglass Hideout grips that are available from Brownell's (there's a great SAC review up on the Highpowers and Handguns site). They look great and feel even better. Hope you enjoy your 3" 65!

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I gave each of my daughters a S&W Model 65 with a three in barrel when they were 15 and 14 years old. They had been shooting pistols for about 8 years at that point and it was time for them to have their own centerfire revolver. They are grown women with families of their own now and I've given them a Browning HP and aS&W 640 each. They both have their CHLs. They also both have pump riot guns in 20gauge and M-1 Carbines.

I also own sever three inch S&W Revolvers in everthing from J frames to N Frames.

Jungle Work

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    That's great!

I've got J- and N-frame 3"ers also! What good taste we have here on this board.

Erich - Thanks for the chrono data. I use the Speer Gold Dot 158 grain. For night stand duty I switch to Remington 125 grain 38+P LSWCJHP. Yours looks great. I think I might take the goodyears off mine and put some nice wood magnas on mine. Thanks guys! Regards 18DAI.

A great CCW gun.

I also have a 3" 65-6. I bought it used from an internet friend (following all applicable laws, of course). It was very gently used, came with a Hogue rosewood grip (plus the original factory grip), and a DeSantis OWB holster (since replaced with a great Don Hume IWB). With shipping and FFL fees, it totaled $450. It's the best money I've ever spent on a firearm.

I know my SS Smiths are increasing in value each year. How much them plastic bottom feeders gonna be worth in 20 years?

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Ive got a very nice 3" model 13. I'd love to add a 3" 65 to keep it company.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I bought a used one a year or two ago and when I carry a revolver that is the one I carry. My 2 1/2 inch 66 was taken by my wife as her gun so I needed a good replacement. The 65 is a top notch gun. You can't go wrong with it. Now a days I carry my Colt 1911 most of the time but the 65 is a close second.

S&W model 13 3" Preformance Center

I love my model 13-4 3" PC. Carried in an Alessi OWB.

Last edited by Martini13; August 24th, 2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: it's a 3", not a 3"
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Links