How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? - Page 2

How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

This is a discussion on How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you use a good defensive round like Federal HSTs or Speer Gold Dots you'll still be able to penetrate car windows and doors. They ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

If you use a good defensive round like Federal HSTs or Speer Gold Dots you'll still be able to penetrate car windows and doors. They will still expand when they go inside of someone and will still retain their weight. Go to Federals LEO website. They did ammo testing there with different departments supplying their own ammo to compare. There is some interesting information there. I would just load your mags with all hollow points that are bonded.

Here's the link. they also shot through different mediums to. LE - Wound Ballistics
    JerryMac likes this.

I fill mine to the brim!

180gr Winchester PDX1 .40

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

All JHP. I try to carry whatever the local PD carries. They used to carry Speed GD which is what I carry. They have since changed over to Ranger T's. My thought is that if I am carrying the same caliber and load as the PD and I have to use it in a SD situation some over zealous prosecutor can't paint the picture of me carrying some sort of super awesome death maker to the jury if it should come to that.
    JerryMac likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    All of my guns have hollow points in them including all of my reloads.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The only glitches I've noticed with my semi-autos is when changing from one type of ammo to another - from FMJ to JHP, for instance. So if you want to try mixed cartridges in the magazines, you might want to do some testing to be sure your gun runs reliably with the ammo you've selected.

On the other hand, you might be overthinking the matter, with regard to wanting to punch through windows, doors, etc. What we know about gunfights suggests that if you empty the magazine at somebody in any situation, you'll be lucky to score a few solid hits. After all, the target is usually running, dodging, maybe shooting at you, too.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

All with one brand of ammo--any heavyweight for caliber, quality HP that my gun runs with 100% reliability, and I like vis a vis control and accuracy.

Alternating ammo is just silly, imho.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82d DIVARTY View Post
    All JHP. I try to carry whatever the local PD carries. They used to carry Speed GD which is what I carry. They have since changed over to Ranger T's. My thought is that if I am carrying the same caliber and load as the PD and I have to use it in a SD situation some over zealous prosecutor can't paint the picture of me carrying some sort of super awesome death maker to the jury if it should come to that.
    +1. I learned that from one of the defensive courses I took.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

plastic,birdshot,fleshette,fmj,hollow point,depleted uranium.I load in that order so in case I ever have to shoot I can prove that I only escalated the lethality of my shots as the threat escalated.prior to using my gun I first use verbal Judo yelling stay back,I have watched all the Bruce Lee fight movies and I have a black belt from Walmart
    BigJon10125 and protek like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just switched over my .45 and 9mm to Winchester Ranger ammo I like it so far. I never understood alternating ammo in a mag.

VIP Member
    I load them the same as my target magazines. One bullet at a time!

Seriously though, defensive carry is Federal HST .45 ACP 230 gr.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The two 9mm Glocks (19 & 26) have COR-BON DPX in them. The .380's (LCP and P238) both have Hornady Critical Defense ammo in them because it isn't +P and it still ought to perform adequately.

For those who want to shoot through car bodies, windows, plywood, etc. the only ammo I know of that has passed all the FBI tests is the new Hornady Critical Duty ammo, but frankly it's got more penetration than I want to take responsibility for.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Maybe i'm a little strange too,but i alternate my rounds also,with Hornady Critical defense and FMJ.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Just wondering, as I load my mags with alternating ammo, JHP is first round out, then I alternate with FMJ< JHP<FMJ .... i so this for the penetration factor of FMJ, such as car windows, doors, heavy clothing, ect... does anyone else do this, or am I a litttle to the left here ? Would appreciate any input.
    For me, defensive ammo is hollow points for the full mag. My full mags aint one shy either...fully loaded. FMJ is for the range or steel challenge. I see no need in mixing practice ammo with deadly force. To me, that's just gambling with things I shouldn't be gambling with. I don't need to uphold the Geneva convention here at home. Back in the day all I was allowed was FMJ to save my life. Now things are different and I choose what's best.

Full of JHP Federal HST 124 grain 9mm. Both magazines.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links