How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? - Page 3

How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

This is a discussion on How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Again, if you are worried about underpenetration with your current caliber, you should change to one that you are comfortable with and that has adaquate ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Again, if you are worried about underpenetration with your current caliber, you should change to one that you are comfortable with and that has adaquate penetration with hollowpoints. A good hollowpoint will do two things for you, first, it will expand, and the second is that the expansion will take care of the overpenetration problem.
    Last edited by AZJD1968; December 18th, 2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Edited to reflect a general statement.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I can see where you are going with the penetration factor of the fmj. But lets face it, if you are shooting at a car door or a car window, are you really just shooting once? Or are you letting a mag full out at the said medium? A couple of the hollows are bound to get throuh the car door and unless its bullet proof glass, by your second or third shot you already got the driver's attention cause now they have a spider web hole where part of there front windshield used to be.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I carry hollow point .40 or .357 sig. My Wife carries a .380. Right now, It has fmj in it because .380 is weak but that is all she can handle. Would HP be better? I dought there would be overpenetration issues with fmj .380 right?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    Here's the link. they also shot through different mediums to. LE - Wound Ballistics
    Thanks for posting that link... Very informative!
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

All the same here.
    I figure that LE would have a greater chance a needing to shoot through car windows and doors. I don't know any departments that switch their ammo like that.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Loading mixed brands or bullet configurations requires your handgun to make a choice - does it like the next round up? Choices like this are o.k. for card night with the boys. In a situation where you need to defend the lives of family members or yourself, possibly not so good.
    John.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Again, if you are worried about underpenetration with your current caliber, you should change to one that you are comfortable with and that has adaquate penetration with hollowpoints. A good hollowpoint will do two things for you, first, it will expand, and the second is that the expansion will take care of the overpenetration problem.
    Where does it say I'm worried? Different ammo for different chores, that's all.

In my 4003 I have Winchester Bonded 180grn.
    The only thing I maybe would use fmj in would be .25 or .32 and I don't carry either of them.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Where does it say I'm worried? Different ammo for different chores, that's all.
    You are correct, as I read the conversation incorrectly. More appropriately, I would like to retract my comment as it was directed at you, and would like to make it a general statement. My opologies.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    My Winchester Ranger T-series JHP's do just fine with penetration of most expected barriers. I see no reason to mix 'ball' ammo with HP for defensive use.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Alternating ammunition in magazines or revolver cylinders smacks of indecisiveness for certain.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Each individual is totally free to carry whatever single type of bullet style they feel will be adequate to cover any possible self-defense scenario because it will be his/her life that's on the line when any one of those possible thousands of scenarios may become instant reality. Personally, I'm only alive today (albiet fairly scarred-up) by the grace of God in two past scenarios that DID become a reality for me.

During my "police action" expedition in SE Asia many years ago, I managed to survive an upper-right chest, fully penetrating hit from a 7.62 x 39mm FMJ round that broke a rib in front, collapsed my right lung, and cleanly exited between two ribs in the back. If that round had been an expanding hollow-point, I wouldn't be here to bother writing this trivia.

During my LE stint a few years later, I survived another potentially fatal wound because a Zippo lighter in my front pants pocket fragmented a .357 mag hollow-point at almost point-blank range which kept it from penetrating further to blow apart my upper femur and the femoral artery along with it. If that had been a FMJ round, everyone would also be spared this writing.

I'm sure there are some who profess and believe that either a 7.62 x 39mm or .357 mag round is wimpy or ineffective; but after taking one of each, I won't burst anyone's bubble by giving them the bad news about the tooth-fairy. Totally different and unpredictable circumstances can put either a hollow-point or FMJ round at a "disadvantage" just as much as throwing nothing but a right hook or a left jab would be in a boxing match.

Therefore, from my own bad experiences, all of my mags start with a hollow-point, then continue alternating with FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP etc. to keep throwing a right-left combination during any possible scenario. Just as I carred my LE pump shottie, my HD shottie alternates 00-Buckshot and rifled slugs. Some may look upon such as being indecisive; but during my major career as a firefighter, I quickly learned that you can't put all fires out with water - so you'd best be carrying other options when you roll up to the scene in the event you may need either one, or both. I call that "being prepared for any unpredictable possibility".

I won't argue which is "best" in any possible scenario because one never knows; so I'm always prepared to throw a right/left combination in any event where my life is on the line. Everyone else is completely free to use whatever trips their trigger.

Who's going to keep count of which round is up next during a self-defense shoot? If a self defense situation is critical enough to require the application of two different bullet types then it would be critical to keep up with which one is being fired each time the trigger is squeezed. Realistically, how long will counting the shots work out while being assaulted.

If one is only going to fire indiscriminately and claim that it really doesn't matter which kind of bullet is up next and there's no need to keep up with the different bullet types during a defensive shooting then ... it really doesn't matter and one can settle for one bullet type or another.

If two different bullets are better than a single choice then it follows that three different bullet styles ought to be better still, right? Why not go for four or even use a separate projectile design and function for each and every cartridge loaded in the self-defense firearm? That would be the ultimate "covering-all-one's-bases" or else the ultimate indecisiveness.

Folks can certainly carry what they wish but it still indicates indecisiveness.
    Superhouse 15 and sigmanluke like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Many moons ago when working the street I to alternated rounds in the mag. Mainly a Speer flying ashtray or a Glaser safety slug in the chamber and the rest mixed, it was the thing to do at the time.

The next phase was to carry HP's in the gun then extra mags loaded with speciality ammo or FMJ just in case you had to shoot through a barrier. Now keep in mind this was in the time of limited selection in regards to ammo.

Nowadays I pretty much carry FMJ ammo in all my weapons it feeds just fine and has never let me down. On occasion I have a mag of HP ammo but mainly FMJ. I dont mix and match anymore or carry speciality ammo. When I do carry HP ammunition it is ussually Rem Golden Sabre in whatever caliber I am carrying.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    All hollow points!
    Same here. I don't see any reason not to.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links