How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

This is a discussion on How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how many cops do you know who stagger their rounds? Not exactly sure of a date and percentage but I think this is where the ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

VIP Member
    how many cops do you know who stagger their rounds?

Not exactly sure of a date and percentage but I think this is where the practice started. Keep in mind guys this started years ago when the bullet selection for semi autos was not the best and semi auto pistols had to be sent off in order to get them to feed hollow points.

I dont know how many 1911's I got cheap because they would not feed the Speer "Flying Ashtray" HP. Got the guns throated and polished the feed ramp and then sold it as custom.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    So instead they could paint you as a wannabe cop.

Ummmm wow that was uncalled for.

There are several schools of thought on using the same ammo that the local PD uses. One is that it is more easily defended in court in the event of a shooting and secondly that the ammo must be good the police are using it.
    The first part well I guess it is as good as any other reasoning, the second part folks must realize that it may not be better just cheaper but point is many instructors do teach and preach this so before you jump on someone might want to do some checking first.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I load HP all the way...I doubt that someone is going to count rounds to determine 'what's next'...OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Only hollow points!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post

Bullets facing forward
    You must not have an HK

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Just wondering, as I load my mags with alternating ammo, JHP is first round out, then I alternate with FMJ< JHP<FMJ .... i so this for the penetration factor of FMJ, such as car windows, doors, heavy clothing, ect... does anyone else do this, or am I a litttle to the left here ? Would appreciate any input.
    Good hollow points will do everything. Look into the CorBon DPX loads with their Barnes copper bullets. They expand after traversing denim or leather, and hold together through automobile windshields.

Hmm... I staggered hollowpoints and FMJ in my Sig P6 until I shot that magazine a while back... it didn't like those hollowpoints. Right now it's loaded with FMJ until I get it worked on to feed hollowpoints reliably.

In lieu of my P6, I've got a VBOB I'm planning on carrying when my P6 is in the shop... I just need to break it in and get a holster for it...

All JHPs. But a defensive handgun trainer I took a recent class with recommended alternating JHP and FMJ for the very reasons Eaglebeak and others have noted -- you need to be prepared for every possible scenario, such as having to shoot through a windshield, etc.
    My concern, however, like many of you is overpenetration. So this JHP ammo brand better live up to its marketing mantra of "EVERY SINGLE TIME" -- or those of us with Hornady will be SOL.

All hollow points, right now that happens to be 147gr Golden Saber bonded JHP in 9mm.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    All the same.

I can see keeping FMJ or maybe a bonded bullet in a spare magazine and JHP of the same weight in the gun. That makes sense to me. Mixing types (around here it's apparanty called "Dutch Loading") doesn't make sense to me. No professional agency or organization around my area allows it, and keeping track of what round is up next is not realistic.

I confess I do have some SHTF AR15 magazines loaded with a couple of tracers near the bottom of the mag to let me know when I'm getting low. I don't see the harm in that one specialty application, but my everyday HD/SD/gunshop AR mags are all the same round.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I offered this opinion here on the Forum a few years back. The text seems to have been a bit corrupted since. I haven't seen one good argument for mixing rounds since.
    Mixing Loads In One's Handgun: Good or Bad?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Plus P

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Do you use FMJs? lol
    Sure do, in 5.56x45 & 7.62x51
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Winchester white box self defense ammo 147 grain sub sonic .IT goes tad under 1100 feet per second. I use to be able to buy this for $19.99 a box of 50 at my local wally world.The most I ever paid was $26.99 for 20 rounds of taps!! Most of so called guy people behind the counter doesn't know the difference between a pellet rifle and a 22. I've become a window shopper at Walmart unless they have a real good sale going.The last large ammo purchase for me was the new Cabela's store
    in South Portland.The store has an excellent variety of ammo and firarms but they remind me of Sears because as you walk in the first thing they want you to do is apply for a store card and you get $25 toward your first purchase.Start reading the fine print and if your not super banker you'd be paying 30 percent!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links