How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

This is a discussion on How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Winchester white box self defense ammo 147 grain sub sonic .IT goes tad under 1100 feet per second. I use to be able to buy ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Winchester white box self defense ammo 147 grain sub sonic .IT goes tad under 1100 feet per second. I use to be able to buy this for $19.99 a box of 50 at my local wally world.The most I ever paid was $26.99 for 20 rounds of taps!! Most of so called guy people behind the counter doesn't know the difference between a pellet rifle and a 22. I've become a window shopper at Walmart unless they have a real good sale going.The last large ammo purchase for me was the new Cabela's store
    in South Portland.The store has an excellent variety of ammo and firarms but they remind me of Sears because as you walk in the first thing they want you to do is apply for a store card and you get $25 toward your first purchase.Start reading the fine print and if your not super banker you'd be paying 30 percent!!!

2. Remove Ads

For me its Hornady CD or Winchester Ranger T in both 9mm and .40s&w. Study the ballistic charts is a good idea. main things are Velocity, expansion and weight retention. Some ammo manufacturers have the ballistic gelatin reports. The old saying the bigger the bullet the more "Knock Down" is not always true!
    I do not endorse Hornady or Winchester that is just what I prefer from studies I have done. I am sure their are equals or better. The main thing is proper shot placement on the threat.

Life Is Good

Right now, my backup 15rd mag for my G26 has three different brands of hollowpoints in it, but only because I was loading what I had on hand at the time.... the remainder of a box of Hornady critical defense, remainder of Hornady TAP 124, and the rest is Speer GD 124 +P (which is my current choice).

Runs just fine with the staggered brands. I had a mag alternated between Hornady TAP and CD, but I'm not sold on the CD rounds. Have sent all of it downrange, except for the few rounds in that one mag.

Prolly will shoot that mag at my next range trip and then carry all Speer GDs.

I carry a spare 9 round mag of Hornady CD for my Glock 27, same as in my gun. I do however have a spare 15 round mag in my gun safe in my truck. That's my "get home" mag in case TSHTF. That one's loaded with FMJ because I figure in it gets so bad I had to use both of my carry mags, I'm not going to be worrying about over penetration. By the time I shoot 18 rounds, I figure any innocents had better be down on the ground seeking cover. The BG's most likely would be behind cover also.

I do plan on switching out the Hornady for Gold Dots soon however.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Normally 180 grain .40 S&W Federal HSTs.

I think alternating types of ammo has no provable advantage.
    I agree completely. You can never know what will happen in a SD situation so different ammo is pointless.
    The important thing is to develop gun skills as best you can because in a bad situation you won''t have any time to slowly think it out.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

All HST +P rounds
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

eb
    I will only run hollowpoints in a defensive gun. I'm sure this has been said somewhere in the past 5+ pages, but better penetration also means better penetration of things perhaps you didn't mean to penetrate.

That sounds... wrong, but you get what I mean.

I used to do that but now with the advent of Bonded Hollowpoints there's no need !
    I do carry a spare mag of FMJ though. I figure if I need that many rounds I want all the penetration I could get becuase I'd literrally be in a war !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

185gr Hydra Shok. Nothing exotic or special. My normal carry gun is completely stock, no add ons or embellishment to the gun or the ammo. Gun plus 1 extra 10 round mag. If I need to use it in a self defense situation, I don't want even a hint of, "He was just looking for trouble," to attach.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I carry two brands, but both HPs. Hornady Custom 147GR & Winchester PDX1s in 124GR +P.

My G19 has Winchester Ranger 124 GR T-series +P
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

eb
    I just carry Fiocchi hollowpoints. I stopped buying the boutique ammo that costs more than gold a while ago, because I hardly ever shot or practiced with it. Who can at $25 for 20 rounds, etc. The Fiocchi costs around $17 for a box of 50 9mm, and $23 for a box of 50 45acp. It has never failed to fire, and I shoot it more often at the range because its not so expensive...

Currently I use Winchester PDX1 in .40 (180 gr.) and .45 (230 gr.). I also use Hornady TAP in .380 (90gr.)
    I can see no good reason for loading a pistol mag with FMJ rounds. They have a history of over penetrating without causing enough damage to incapacitate the target. Current bonded bullets have good barrier penetration as it is.

I will not carry FMJ for self defense. Too many instances of them zipping right through the bad guy and heading for the nearest station wagon full of nuns. Just opens you up to liability in my opinion.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

OP, no reason not to if they function. Then again their may be no reason to do it. Your probably better off with 3 hollow points on top then fmj.

Having said that, IMO hollow points are overrated. What hollow points do is prevent over penetration. They don't offer more stopping power. I know this goes against the internet view. A good exit wound can be devastating. I carry hollow points because of over penetration. I would not feel less safe carrying fmj.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links