How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? - Page 7

How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

This is a discussion on How do you load your mags for defensive carry ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke Any HOLLOW POINT that feeds reliably in your gun. My favorite is Speer Gold Dots, specifically .45acp 200+P. How can you ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How do you load your mags for defensive carry ?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Any HOLLOW POINT that feeds reliably in your gun. My favorite is Speer Gold Dots, specifically .45acp 200+P. How can you beat a .45 travelling at 1080 fps with 518 f/lbs of force?
    With a 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buck?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    One of my spare mags is loaded with fmj's.
    Is that to say you carry a TWO different loads? One in your carry and another in a spare mag?

I use hollow-point 00 buckshot myself.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    For me, defensive ammo is hollow points for the full mag. My full mags aint one shy either...fully loaded. FMJ is for the range or steel challenge. I see no need in mixing practice ammo with deadly force. To me, that's just gambling with things I shouldn't be gambling with. I don't need to uphold the Geneva convention here at home. Back in the day all I was allowed was FMJ to save my life. Now things are different and I choose what's best.
    RamRod, I've always heard that if you carry one less in the magazine, the spring will retain more of its strength. Have you noticed any decrease in your spring strength with full loading? How often are you changing them out?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

I carry corbon dpx only if my dpx don't do the job then I'm not shooting right
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Quote Originally Posted by 82d DIVARTY View Post
    All JHP. I try to carry whatever the local PD carries. They used to carry Speed GD which is what I carry. They have since changed over to Ranger T's. My thought is that if I am carrying the same caliber and load as the PD and I have to use it in a SD situation some over zealous prosecutor can't paint the picture of me carrying some sort of super awesome death maker to the jury if it should come to that.
    I don't understand this thought pattern, if I have to draw my weapon and fire, yes, I intended to use lethal force. And you better believe that I am using what I believe to be the best tools for the job, from the holster to the weapon to the projectile. So yes, I absolutely will use a "killer round" (isn't that the intent??) - regardless of what the local PD issues and uses. From my understanding, most PDs issue ammo based on bulk purchase price as much as the quality and characteristics of the ammo. But maybe that's just me...

That being said, my primary (M&P9c) has 2 fully loaded mags carrying Remington Golden Sabre +P, and my BUG (LCP ) has 2 mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.

OpJ

Either Hornady Critical Defense, Hornady TAP, and recently a little ZOMBIE MAX also by hornady all in 9mm or 45

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Is that to say you carry a TWO different loads? One in your carry and another in a spare mag?
    Based on previous posts I would think you would understand where he is coming from..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Based on previous posts I would think you would understand where he is coming from..
    I didn't ask you.

@Mike1956: I am just curious, so you carry HP in your carry, and if needed you switch magazines? From what I read that is what it sound like to me. Just making sure I read it right. Don't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I didn't ask you.

@Mike1956: I am just curious, so you carry HP in your carry, and if needed you switch magazines? From what I read that is what it sound like to me. Just making sure I read it right. Don't matter to me.
    No you didnt ask me directly, but once again it is a public forum. It appears to me you have an issue with that...

I think Mike has his third mag filled with FMJs. Reason, if he is in that deep, who cares what ammo your using
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    No you didnt ask me directly, but once again it is a public forum. It appears to me you have an issue with that...

I think Mike has his third mag filled with FMJs. Reason, if he is in that deep, who cares what ammo your using
    I stand corrected, thank you sir for reminding me. You should be a moderator, I think you would excel. That sounds like a reason to to load a magazine with FMJ, but if there is a way you approve of I would like to hear from the author of the post to reply so I know his reasoning. I am curious and interested in all ideas. From what I read, and I might have missed something, it sounded like he was concerned about penetration.

Fully loaded with JHP in all. Also, I want every shot to feel the same in my hand so no mixed ammo at all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links