PARA staggered mag 1911(ish)

This is a discussion on PARA staggered mag 1911(ish) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a 1911 style .45 as a gift for my son. He recently waited too long on a Smith 3rd gen .45 ...

Thread: PARA staggered mag 1911(ish)

PARA staggered mag 1911(ish)

I've been looking for a 1911 style .45 as a gift for my son. He recently waited too long on a Smith 3rd gen .45 but got close enough that he's been bitten by the .45 bug. I was looking at some RIA's but then noticed that Buds has the PARA with 14 round staggered magazine for not that much more. They claim it has the same width grip but it seems like they gotta make room somwhere for those extra rounds. Is it a longer grip? Is anyone here familiar with them. Nice lookin gun in the pics. Gotta weigh a ton fully loaded.

2. Remove Ads

I was able to compare the double stack Para with a single stack side by side once. I held both at the same time to compare the grip width. If anything, the double stack might be ever so slightly wider. Although it didn't really feel like it. The double stack uses thinner grip panels to keep the grip the same width as a standard single stack grip. As for length, there was no difference.

I have a Para Tac-Four(13-45) and agree that the grip on the double stack is not really noticably wider, However, the weight of those 14+ rounds are going to feel REALLY heavy for a while compared to a single stack 8 or so rounds. If you can find someone with both a double stack and a single stack 1911, compare the fully loaded weight of both.

If it will be a carry gun then it just might be to heavy for daily carry. I have a Stainless Para P12-45 12 rounds in the mag plus one in the pipe and it weighs 42 oz's. It does feel a bit heavy after 9 hours or so.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If it was carried it wouldn't be a concealed carry. My son own's a J frame so no need to carry a 2 1/2 pound gun. How do you guys that own them like your Para's. Magazine's must come at a premium price. On the staggered magazine models are all the parts proprietary or it there some interchangability with standard 1911's?

The spring and follower are pretty standard, and I have heard of some issues with the slide not locking back on last round, but it was solved with new wolf springs. And get a stainless model if you can, I have heard and seen issues with the paracoating on Paras showing excessive wear.

I like my Tac-Four, it has been reliable and accurate.

I carry a Para P-14 (5" 13 + 1) everyday, the grip frame is enlarged for the double stack mag but grip panels are almost paper thin so over all width is very slightly wider. Para got started making only the frame for IPSIC type builds so as many parts are standard 1911 parts as possible, I haven't sat down to see which are.

For everyday carry it is as easy to conceal as a standard 1911, a bit heavier but I'm a fairly big guy so I find it a bit comforting to know I have 14 rounds of .45 ready to go. I bought it in '94 just before the ban and have never had a problem with it.

You can get mags for the Para's at CDNN for around $25.

I have a Para SF .45 double stack the thing is nice and flawless. Hard to beat if you can afford it.

I have a P-12 compact 1911 that I like very much. 12 +1 rounds in .45 ACP in a very concealable package is nice. I don't find the weight to be a problem at all. Rides very comfortably in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

I've spent some time behind the wheel of a double stack LDA Para. It's a monster in its weight and overall size, but dang that thing is fun to shoot. The LDA trigger is real nice, but defenitely takes some getting used to. The Kahr owners on here will have an easy time with it, but it can feel strange to the unfamiliar. I wouldnt carry this thing concealed due to its comical weight, but its a gun I would defenitly like to own. I find the double stack to be a little too wide for my taste with my extra-medium size hands. Other than that, the overall feel of the gun is awesome. It feels more a part of your hand than something IN your hand. I love the 1911-ish beavertail. IMO, a great feeling, shooting, looking gun thats just a few metric tons too heavy for EDC.

101_2479.JPGNot sure I would have spent the money on this one. Fine weapon and all just have enough as it is. But it was a gift and what a gift. Nothing put prefect.
    A bit big for someone my size as a CC. It is so easy to shoot. The there is a difference in grip. I have a Crimson laser grip that fits standard 1911 it does not fit the Double stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    101_2479.JPGNot sure I would have spent the money on this one. Fine weapon and all just have enough as it is. But it was a gift and what a gift. Nothing put prefect.
    A bit big for someone my size as a CC. It is so easy to shoot. The there is a difference in grip. I have a Crimson laser grip that fits standard 1911 it does not fit the Double stack.
    Wow that is some kind of gift. Congrats to you.

I own a Springfield Hi-cap 1911 with a 14 round capacity. I found the weight to be a bit much for me as I tend to do a great deal of walking. I switched to a single stack 1911 for that reason.
    If it were not for all the walking that I do the hi-cap would have been fine.

Michael

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Nice write up in this month's American Rifleman.

Para USA LTC Tactical .45 ACP M1911
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Links