Defensive Carry Rotation...

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Rotation... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like my different guns and honestly, that's why I switch up but I have to be hones and admit I think on gun is ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Rotation...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I like my different guns and honestly, that's why I switch up but I have to be hones and admit I think on gun is the best rule. Frankly I hear a lot of people justifying. If you shoot one gun, train wth one, only carry the one, the odds of you messing up with that gun in the heat of the moment is decreased. if you use multiple the odds of messin up increases.

And just being "proficient" with all of your guns means nothing. How many of us have used guns in real world situations? Almost none. So I'm trying to be honest about the fact that I like guns but if we were truly warrior minded we wouldn't have 4 guns for different dress and time of day.

One poster asked what gun would you want to have if you actually had to use it to defend ourselves? I think that's a good question and another one we're not always honest about becasue I don't think any of us would honestly choose our little pocket .380s i we'd really been there and "done that" before.

Not trying to be harsh but I've been on gun forums a long time and perhaps I'm getting cynical but I think a lot of us simply rationalize what we what to shoot or carry without really knowing from serious training and experience what we'd really want.

I think if you're really serious, pick one gun, manual of arms and stick with it only, whether that's a 1911, revolver or other.

Just a thought...
    Gideon
    Olduser likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, then i would have to question myself as to why I have all these guns...lol... but honestly I have one that goes with me no matter what, ever time i put on my pants it is there, period.....then as most say, it depends on where I am going and how I am going to dress makes the main call on the gun i choose. I do not carry any gun that I am not proficient with, and familiar with. If I unholster a Glock, a Kimber, XD or whatever , i know what is in my hand, how to use it, and there is no question as to what is there. to me i guess, Variety is the spice of life..or death....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Defensive Carry Rotation...why?...what's the point? This is a real question. Aside from where a change in season might prompt a change in clothing, which in turn may necessitate a change in handgun style, what is the rationale for having a "rotation" of carry guns? I would think that one would want to be as proficient as possible with one's carry weapon and that unnecessary swapping of models or styles would limit ones expertise rather than improve it, leading to possible mistakes in a high stress situation...

...anyway...I've seen "rotation" mentioned many times on these boards and I've always wondered about it, so there you have it, enlighten me.
    Im with you, I carry a kahr .40 as my primary weapon and dont switch much. It seams that guys that talk about muscle memory and how important it is to practice and train to build muscle memory are the first to say they carry this or that depending on the weather, moon phase or other nonsense. I have many handguns, 3 I would consider carry type and all 3 are the same platform. I have a XD 40, kahr 40 and LCP 380. All are double action only, no safety, mag release in same spot and generally feel the same. Like I stated I carry the Kahr most the time. If I need to go very low key I might put the 380 in my pocket but this would be rare. The 380 gets packed in a smart carry to the gym 3 nights a week and maybe around the house while I am in sweats but other then that if I am up I have the Kahr in my pants. The XD is great for putting rounds down range but is generally just to big to carry all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    And when I get in my wife's car, I usually stomp the floor board only to discover once again that her car still doesn't have a clutch.
    That's you, not me. Guess I just don't have that problem.

Seriously, what's the point in switching between the Kimber and Sig220?
    Realistically, the Kimber gets more carry time, but the convenient holster for the Sig is a paddle which is easy on/easy off, compared to the IWB for the 1911s.

Why not ditch the J-frame and take the CW9 with you to the grocery store?
    Because the J-frame fits in a pocket and the CW9 doesn't.

Why not just carry the G23 all the time?
    Because it's like carrying a 2x4 compared to the other guns. It gets carried on trails because it's robust and dirt-tolerant, and if I should lose it, it's not "heirloom quality" that I would shed a tear over.

If you shoot 2000 rounds a year through one type of pistol, I wager that you'll shoot it better than if you shoot 500 rounds a year through four completely different pistols.
    I shoot 1911s more than the others, but I don't shoot the others measurably worse. I guess that's just me and shooting them all enough to remain competent with them.

If you knew you were going to have to shoot someone in self defense, which pistol would you carry? If at all possible, why not carry that pistol all the time?
    Again, it comes down to my choice of defensive armament based on my assessment of the risk or potential threat of where I'm headed. I'd carry my AR or 12-gauge if I knew I was headed in harm's way, but as a matter of convenience I choose from the sidearms I have available. For example, I can't carry a gun where I work, but AZ law allows me to keep one locked in my car while in the company parking lot, and I do; that gun is typically the G23 or the J-frame, based on what I feel I may need to carry concealed on my person if I have to stop somewhere after work. And concealability is very much a function of weather and how I dress out here in the desert. The cooler weather gives me more options with regard to cover garments.

Back when my only gun was a 1911, that's all I carried. Now I have more choices, again to suit the "mission" and my assessment of risk. My key guideline is "have a gun."
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Well first it is personal choice. I am proficient with whatever weapon I am carrying.

When you limit yourself to one carry weapon you limit yourself in the way you can carry it, the number of rounds that you carry or how proficient you or the weapon can become. You can only shoot so far, so fast and so good with a pocket .380.

I have many guns and many holsters for some of them. Like Gassmitty I have guns that serve certain purposes so to speak. I have an M&P .45 with threaded barrel, extended mags and WML that never leaves the house, I do not even own a holster for it. This weapon is my nightstand gun. It all depends on the mood I am in, where I am going and how I have to dress to get there.

As has been stated variety is the spice of life and I like variety. In regards to proficiency with the firearm you are carrying due to the nature of my work I never know what type firearm I will be issued to carry in whatever country I am in. Beretta's, Glock's, CZ, SIG are all commonly used so I stay proficient with all of them if you are not proficient with other weapons out there you are limiting yourself and your options. Go shoot in a match that has a battlefield pickup stage and you would be surprised what you would shoot. Rent other guns at a range, if possible, or shoot your buddies guns it will only add to your knowledge.

No one gun is perfect for every circumstance. Yes you always have the chance you will be carrying the wrong thing at the wrong time but that is life not much you can do about that. If you feel in order to maintain your level of expertise with only carrying one gun so be it not an issue, I and others have the luxury so to speak of owning and having the skillset to carry any one or more guns at one time and be able react to a threat and engage with whatever we are carrying.

Variety is the spice of life, why limit yourself.

bmcgilvray and NavyAirdale like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I have my EDC Glock 19. I prefer the gun for everyday use. However if I can carry my Glock 17 I will happily carry it. However if I need something smaller I will carry my Glock 26. I try to keep my carry guns similar. All of my guns have Meprolite night sights with green front sites and yellow rear sites, as well as extended slide stops, and grip plugs. I also installed smooth-face triggers on my Glock 19 and Glock 26 so they have the same trigger as my Glock 17.

But otherwise all of my guns are Glock 9mm guns.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I have no true rotation...... I carry what I can pending on where I am going and my dress. Normally I carry my SD9/M437 but if I get tired of having my gun on my hip then I just slide my M&P in the pocket then go......
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I change up my primary carry guns quite a bit. But I can't help it… It is a sickness that I have for more carry guns.
    Good to know there's more out there like me
    Secret Spuk and NavyAirdale like this.

I mainly rotate my carry once I get home from the office during the work week, and then on the weekend.

As long as it's a similar manual of arms, I don't see anything wrong, or hazardous with it, especially if it involves a revolver. That's why I like to have a couple of the same make firearm around. They feel like a "New gun" all over again, and again... My opinion on the subject; practice & maintain what you carry and it'll serve you well.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    And when I get in my wife's car, I usually stomp the floor board only to discover once again that her car still doesn't have a clutch. Seriously, what's the point in switching between the Kimber and Sig220? Why not ditch the J-frame and take the CW9 with you to the grocery store? Why not just carry the G23 all the time? If you shoot 2000 rounds a year through one type of pistol, I wager that you'll shoot it better than if you shoot 500 rounds a year through four completely different pistols.

If you knew you were going to have to shoot someone in self defense, which pistol would you carry? If at all possible, why not carry that pistol all the time?
    So if 2K rounds is your benchmark, if I shoot 2K rounds or more through each carry gun, is it ok to carry them?

Personally, I think there is more than shooting that comes into play. Practice drawing your weapons from your carry holsters and bringing them to bear on a target (clear and rope the weapons first). During this practice sweep the safety off any weapons so equipped. If you carry such a weapon, you may get in the habit of sweeping the safety off on your Glocks and J Frames too.

Then there is low light target acquisition, drawing on the move or from disadvantaged positions, engaging targets from disadvantaged positions, controlling the gun with only the off-hand, cycling the slide one-handed, reloading - two handed or one handed, etc. the list goes on.

I don't care how many guns are in your carry stable. If you are proficient with them, and practice to keep that proficiency, I say carry them. If you only have time to become proficient and maintain that proficiency with one then carry it. Different strokes for different folks.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    So if 2K rounds is your benchmark, if I shoot 2K rounds or more through each carry gun, is it ok to carry them?

Personally, I think there is more than shooting that comes into play.
    I'm a believer in practicing as much as one can within practical limits. And I absolutely agree that more than shooting comes into play, especially for civillians practicing concealed carry. And I do some dryfire practice, especially with the P238 since it's SA with a safety.

For example, there are the true stories, instance after instance - several a year anyway, where some one like the 66 year old woman in one of the current stories in "good bad and ugly" who'd never fired her gun, had only owned it a couple of weeks, took out a determined home invader with three shots. Granted, she isn't out and about packing, which we do, but it says something about how much training is enough for civillians - probably less than those who sell training would recommend.

Her conduct during that few moments of her life was just what it should have been. She had committed herself to staying alive and not being a victim, acted on that, and survived. She'll have the emotional scars, but she's alive to deal with them. The thing that's "more than shooting" to me is the commitment to survive, to not be a victim. That commitment, that attitude, is the most important part of self defense. Period. Having a gun and at least enough knowledge to load and shoot it are second on the priority list IMO.

Most of the folks doing the training are either law enforcement or ex-law enforcement, or from some walk of life where they ran to trouble as opposed to us going the opposite direction. They mean well, and more training is better than less training, but there is also the case that the crooks, while they are ruthless, are frequently pretty poorly trained themselves. When I see all the success stories about old folks, kids, and others with almost exactly zero training beyond how to load it and pull the trigger, and I compare that with some of the training I see advertised, I sometimes wonder what we are supposed to be training for?

It's going to be warm enough to do some range time tomorrow so I'll be out there because it's fun, I have my brother in law's 1967 M70 FW .30-06 to zero after installing a scope for him. While the barrel on that cools I'll be shooting a few clips out of each of my carry guns. Next spring I'll be back to an IDPA match a month for the summer and early fall. That'll have to do for the training ...

That said, concealed is a very high priority with me. I carry the most gun I can hide with out having to go through contortions to do it. I refuse to go unarmed if the only gun I can hide with the clothes I want to wear is my LCP just because I don't have 2,000 rounds through it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have a number of guns that I carry depending on the weather, how I'm dressed, and my preference. Yeah, I'm about as bad as a gal picking shoes to wear, but that's how it is.

I'm proficient with all of the guns I carry, and I've chosen all of my guns for concealability and reliability. Every gun pictured has been 100% reliable for me. The NAA mini .22 never gets carried alone. I also usually carry a combination of a couple of the guns pictured (e.g. Ruger LCP and S&W 642).

Pictured are: Ruger LCP, S&W 642 CT, NAA mini, Bulgarian Makarov, and Glock 19.

CCW_guns.jpg

I have a number of handguns, but I mainly carry 2 (xd40sc and s&W 442). I have other carry options available depending on circumstances and attire. I also like guns, so sometimes I carry different ones just because I want to. Usually not vastly different in operation from either of my most carried favorites. I don't carry any gun until I am very comfortable with my abilities with it.

I traded for a Glock 36 a month ago and I've only had a chance to take it out once and put 50 or so rounds through it. I don't carry it yet because I'm not comfortable with my abilities with it yet. Will it replace my xd40sc as my primary carry? Time will tell. Will it get some carry time? Most likely it will.
    Rigrat likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Because it's like carrying a 2x4 compared to the other guns.

That's what I thought about my G23 when I was trying to carry it IWB @ 3:30-4:30 position. Then I read Gabe Suarez's persuasive arguments for appendix carry. I won't go into detail because you can Google it if you're interested, but long story short... You can carry a G23 comfortably and completely concealed in cargo shorts and a t-shirt in the appendix position.

Concealability and access are unrivaled in the position. Their are some nice AIWB holsters available. Don Fricke's "archangel" & "Raven concealment systems" are highly touted, but High Noon makes quality affordable alternatives. I have the High Noon "Mr. Softey". At $30 it is hard to beat.

The S&W Bodyguard .380 hasn't left the safe since I adopted appendix carry.

I like my G36 I've recently traded for and it is taking lead in my carry. But unlike some here I have problems with my hip and that determines allot on which carry gun I carry. Weight is very bad at times on my hip sending sharp pains down my leg.

That is why I mainly carry 3 handguns, G36, Kel-tec pf9, Taurus m85ul. Once I get a more suitable IWB for the G36 I believe it will get carried most of the time. But for now the PF-9 and small revolver ride easier on my hip than it does.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links