Defensive Carry Rotation... - Page 3

Defensive Carry Rotation...

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Rotation... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I entered law enforcement in 1968 everyone carried revolvers. I put thousands of rounds of .38 spl down range over the years. I carried ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Rotation...

Cool

When I entered law enforcement in 1968 everyone carried revolvers.

I put thousands of rounds of .38 spl down range over the years.

I carried a Colt Offical Police on duty and a S&W 36 off duty.

Through the 70's and into the 80's it was revolvers until the department I was with adopted the S&W 59 then the 5906.

Then I carried a 39 off duty eventually going to a 3906 then a 6906.

Thousands of 9 mm rounds down range over the years and many training classes.

The early 90's came and with it the Glocks. At first a love/hate for me but I got over it and for the next 15 years it was G-19, G-23 and G-21 and again thousands of rounds fired downrange.

I enjoy my handguns and I shoot them as often as I can now in retirement. I still like and sometimes carry a snubbie like my SP-101 or Chiefs Special or Dick Special. Nostalgia. Maybe, but I can still put rounds on target.

I carry concealed in the same place all the time. AIWB. All my carry guns are point and shoot except for the Hi-Power and if I have a safe queen she is it.

Image.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I am comfortable with what I carry and am confident with my ability to use whatever tool is on my belt at any given time with my mind being the ultimate weapon.

My guns are a part of my life that makes it enjoyable and I do like a little variety.

OS
    gottabkiddin and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Defensive Carry Rotation...why?...what's the point? This is a real question. Aside from where a change in season might prompt a change in clothing, which in turn may necessitate a change in handgun style, what is the rationale for having a "rotation" of carry guns? I would think that one would want to be as proficient as possible with one's carry weapon and that unnecessary swapping of models or styles would limit ones expertise rather than improve it, leading to possible mistakes in a high stress situation...

...anyway...I've seen "rotation" mentioned many times on these boards and I've always wondered about it, so there you have it, enlighten me.
    There is no good reason beyond what you articulated. It's simply guns as fashion.

I believe it was John Bianchi who said if you want true proficiency, carry the same gun, in the same holster in the same spot. I tend to agree when it comes to a carry gun that may have to be used for self defense.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I have Four 357 Snubs and Two 38 Snubs that I rotate Two at a time as Carry Guns. I just like several different Snubs.

I have three in my rotation. However the manual of arms on all three is the same. I keep it consistent.. One sub compact, one compact and one full size.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I shoot 1911s more than the others, but I don't shoot the others measurably worse. I guess that's just me and shooting them all enough to remain competent with them.
    And I don't doubt that you can shoot all of the reasonably well. However, when people say they can shoot all of their pistols equally well (or one kind "not measurably worse"), I can't help but wonder how they've arrived at this conclusion. Are you saying that if you ran through an IDPA match a hundred times with your Kahr and as many times with your Kimber, you wouldn't consistently score better with one than the other? Of if you were taking a force on force class, you'd perform just as well with the J-frame as with the Glock? Exactly what sort of comparison led you to your conclusion? I'm not knocking having a smaller gun for limited instances. I carry a J-frame sometimes too, but I completely acknowledge that pistol's limitations (along with my more limited abilities at shooting it) compared to my Glocks.

VIP Member
    There is no good reason beyond what you articulated. It's simply guns as fashion.

Wow I must be one of the most fashionable guys I know then because I carry for what I am doing or where I am going and have no issue with the system that I am carrying at that moment. I do not carry different handguns to make a fashion statement, a firearm/handgun is a tool and you choose the right tool for the job at hand.
    Sometimes that is a compact 9mm and other times it is a full house 1911. You have to train yourself to be able to adjust from one to the other. Just like I have several different knives in the kitchen for different tasks I have several different firearms to accomplish different tasks.

Pangloss9 of course people shoot one gun better than the other. The J frame or compact .380 will not do the same thing as a 4 inch revolver or full size Glock. Sometimes that is limited to the skill of the shooter and sometimes to the limit of the firearm itself but if you are at your maximum level of ability and the ability of the firearm that is all you can do at that time.
    I would love to carry my match 1911 everywhere but sometimes I dont want to be burdened with the extra weight or I need a more concealable firearm so I simply grab my Glock or a J frame. I am at my highest level of compentency with any of them I just have to know the limits of the firearm I am carrying at the moment.
    The important step is to take a moment and orientate yourself as to what you are carrying and where i.e. getting your butt and brain wired together so there are no "Ooops tried to take the safety off my Glock". I will say that most of the time whatever type of weapon I am carrying it is generally in the same place or at least the same side of my belt for the primary weapon.

I realize their are some that cannot do that and it is fine. Yes for many what Bianchi said is true, One Gun, One carry method. I happen to train with different weapons systems so I have the luxury of expanding on my options. Not knocking anyone, whatever works I just happen to like to have a choice as to what I carry and when.

What is the old saying "If every tool is a hammer, then every problem is a nail" or something like that.
    Harryball and Secret Spuk like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

There's a pretty good post on this over on pistol-training.com. Of particular interest is this excerpt:

Some readers commented that they’re equally good with a crazy assortment of pistols. In my experience (and to steal a line from someone else), most folks who make that claim are just equally bad with a crazy assortment of pistols. Don’t tell us you shoot them all the same, tell us how well you shoot them. What kind of results are you getting on common objective pistol standards like the F.A.S.T., Hackathorn Standards, or the Humbler?

I can pick up a gun I’m familiar with but haven’t shot seriously in years — let’s say a Beretta or SIG — and do OK with it. It’s probably safe to say that I could outshoot the folks at the local club match or most of the people I’m likely to see at the range. But the point isn’t whether I’m adequate with that gun. The point is that I am considerably better with the gun I devote my time and effort to. “Adequate” is a very difficult term to define for handgun skill because the fact of the matter is that you won’t know what the situation requires — and thus what will be adequate — until after the fact. But I always know that considerably better beats worse.
    I carry a G17 every day. At some point I might get a G19 and cut the grip down for ankle carry if I absolutely cannot conceal the G17. They will have the same trigger, control, and sights. If I had more money I'd simply have both already with backups for each, and then more ammo. I enjoy shooting different handguns, but to switch up something that might be needed to save my life outside of very specific circumstances just seems...wrong.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I wouldn't call it a rotation, but merely liking two different firearms (out of many).
    Usually I take my Glock-36 along about 90% of the time. For 10% of my travels I grab my Ruger SP101...a great little firearm that makes me feel just as comforted, defensively speaking.
    The Ruger is easy to CC and I just put a couple of speed strips in my pocket. A little less bulky without mags...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I carry a G17 every day. At some point I might get a G19 and cut the grip down for ankle carry if I absolutely cannot conceal the G17. They will have the same trigger, control, and sights. If I had more money I'd simply have both already with backups for each, and then more ammo. I enjoy shooting different handguns, but to switch up something that might be needed to save my life outside of very specific circumstances just seems...wrong.
    Smart man!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I like a lot of different guns, so I carry different guns.

I really don't see it as much of an issue. They are handguns; not that hard to learn to use and retain slightly different configurations.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Pangloss9 of course people shoot one gun better than the other. The J frame or compact .380 will not do the same thing as a 4 inch revolver or full size Glock. Sometimes that is limited to the skill of the shooter and sometimes to the limit of the firearm itself but if you are at your maximum level of ability and the ability of the firearm that is all you can do at that time.
    I would love to carry my match 1911 everywhere but sometimes I dont want to be burdened with the extra weight or I need a more concealable firearm so I simply grab my Glock or a J frame. I am at my highest level of compentency with any of them I just have to know the limits of the firearm I am carrying at the moment.
    I maintain that you are not at your highest level of competency with any of them. If you chose a single platform and devoted all of your practice time to it, you'd improve. For all I know you're an awesome shot with all of your potential carry guns, but you could become super awesome with one of them. If you like 1911s, why not just buy a Springfield EMP for general carry and a Sig238 or a Colt mustang for times when you really have to carry a small gun. In reality you are not choosing different tools for different jobs. You are carrying a gun because you think you might have to shoot some one who is trying to hurt or kill you.

I have a lot of guns and it is fun to carry different ones as I can't take them with me when I die. I have a Carry licence and live in a pretty much crime free rural area.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    I maintain that you are not at your highest level of competency with any of them. If you chose a single platform and devoted all of your practice time to it, you'd improve. For all I know you're an awesome shot with all of your potential carry guns, but you could become super awesome with one of them. If you like 1911s, why not just buy a Springfield EMP for general carry and a Sig238 or a Colt mustang for times when you really have to carry a small gun. In reality you are not choosing different tools for different jobs. You are carrying a gun because you think you might have to shoot some one who is trying to hurt or kill you.
    Some people train extensively with all of there weapon systems. While some can do this, others might find fault in it. Tacman has the ability to train extensively with his weapons, I see nothing wrong with that. I choose my rotation based on manual of arms.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

My 2 DC weapons are: 642 Smith 38, and a colt Mustang stainless.
    The 642 hits a bit harder, adn I am old school, revolver oriented.
    The Mustang has 2 more shots, and is a bit bulkier. Especailly because I caryy IWB or pocket, its more concealable. ( I am only 5-7).
    It also depends where I am going. Downtown Orlando, or any other area which is considered "high crime", usually gets the 642 IWB and maybe the Mustang pocket (or leg if I am wearing long pants).
    The Mustang is loaded with federal personal defense, and the 642 with alternating federal PD and Winchester +p 125 gr HPs.

So, I determine my dress with the appropriate gun based on the above parameters.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links