Defensive Carry Rotation...

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Rotation... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball I have three in my rotation. However the manual of arms on all three is the same. I keep it consistent.. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Rotation...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have three in my rotation. However the manual of arms on all three is the same. I keep it consistent.. One sub compact, one compact and one full size.....
    Same here, and each has the same type of holster (OWB) from the same mfr. (Comp-Tac). And why do I rotate? Not weather-related, not situation-related, just for a little variety I guess.

2. Remove Ads

MJK
    Ram Rod...I'm with you. Rotation means which Glock is best adapted to my dress, environment and circumstances for the day. I practice with both G36 (IWB) and G21SF (OWB) in order to maintain competence and be in a position to successfully defend my life should it be necessary.
    Chad Rogers likes this.

I don't have a scheduled rotation, but I do carry different weapons to suit my activities/wear. At different times I will carry compact and subcompact Glocks and commander sized 1911. All of them get a lot of range/practice time.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

tacman605 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

A short quote from the article link above:

"A frequent topic among many shooters is the “rotation,” a list of different handguns that a person carries on different days just to enjoy the variety." (that would be me)

He continues "It is, to me, the sign of a feeble mind.

The carry rotation, on the other hand, is essentially turning a piece of critical life saving equipment into a fashion accessory. When the gun you wear is a choice you make differently each day based on a whim, it suggests to me that you are more concerned about what other people think you’re doing than your actual ability to do it well."

First off - I can't dispute the feeble mind comment, I'm more surprised than anyone that I've managed to live this long so - guilty as charged.

However, as I carry concealed 100% of the time, I'm not sure how "other people" would appreciate my "fashion sense" since they can't see it what I'm carrying. But I guess deep down, I must be a fashionista.
    tacman605 likes this.

This... found buried within the responses to the blog.

"I do sometimes think the whole “my ninja is stronger than your ninja” ideology is a bit overly dramatic at times."
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Well as this has gone on for quite a bit and has gotten quite strange at times I just wanted to add something.

I change firearms because I have to on occasion. In the article it mentions a particular tool for a particular job and that is what I do not for fashion or because it is cool or what someone thinks.

I do a very specific job in a very specific enviroment. I am issued and carry the same gun for months on end until I get a new contract or go to another country and then and issued yet another type of firearm. I understand the concept of training with one gun and being the absolute best with that firearm but I do not have that luxury. I am dictated by US and Host Nation laws so I have to be able to use, and use well whatever is given to me.

When home I carry what I want and that fits what I am doing for the time period it simply makes sense. If you do not agree ok fine then carry that one gun and be the best you can be with that one gun when it is your choice.

In closing carry what you want, when you want just know how to use what you carry. In 25 days I will be home for leave for the first time in a year and I may carry the same gun everyday or change 6 times a day but it is my world, my choice. Anytime you think you can do it better feel free to catch a flight. Fly into Baghdad, turn left and go about as far North in Iraq as you can before you hit Kurdistan and you will find me. I will be more than happy to change over with you, now the clients might not be as happy as me but that is all up to you.
    Harryball and Mike1956 like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I may switch out because of clothing- maybe I can't use my normal carry belt that day I will go to the lighter USP. May want to change up barrel length because of transport conditions being too tight and the longer length pushing in on the buttocks. I may change up for many reasons but the operations of the pistols stay the same- safety controls are the same, same grip with or without a grip safety, carried cocked and locked. Sights will vary but I don't depend on sights much (if I am forced to use sights to make the shot escape might be a better option). I could see trigger weights possibly being an issue going from a single action pistol to a double action pistol even if the DA is carried C&L.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well as this has gone on for quite a bit and has gotten quite strange at times I just wanted to add something.

I change firearms because I have to on occasion. In the article it mentions a particular tool for a particular job and that is what I do not for fashion or because it is cool or what someone thinks.

I do a very specific job in a very specific enviroment. I am issued and carry the same gun for months on end until I get a new contract or go to another country and then and issued yet another type of firearm. I understand the concept of training with one gun and being the absolute best with that firearm but I do not have that luxury. I am dictated by US and Host Nation laws so I have to be able to use, and use well whatever is given to me.

When home I carry what I want and that fits what I am doing for the time period it simply makes sense. If you do not agree ok fine then carry that one gun and be the best you can be with that one gun when it is your choice.

In closing carry what you want, when you want just know how to use what you carry. In 25 days I will be home for leave for the first time in a year and I may carry the same gun everyday or change 6 times a day but it is my world, my choice. Anytime you think you can do it better feel free to catch a flight. Fly into Baghdad, turn left and go about as far North in Iraq as you can before you hit Kurdistan and you will find me. I will be more than happy to change over with you, now the clients might not be as happy as me but that is all up to you.
    I don't think you're going to find anyone to disagree with your reasons for changing guns. Change and get paid or don't and not have a job makes for a pretty simple decision. Carrying a j-frame or micro pistol because you can't conceal anything else is a simple decision. Carrying a magnum revolver instead of a 9mm because you might run into bears is a simple decision.

The people that make me go "***?" are the ones that have carry different guns in different manners for no reason other than they like the variety.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Well damn it, I like to wear my alligator pancake with my alligator boots and a nice shiny nickel revolver with stag or ivory grips. In addition, if I'm wearing a good felt lid, it's all gotta match.

My grandpa taught me there are some things every man should know, tie a proper necktie knot, shoot well, and know how to dress, speak straight and be a good listener.

I like my belt, holster and boots to match. Nothing says "Speck Rhodes" like a skinny brown belt with a cheap black holster flopping around on it. Nothing wrong with purty guns either.

This may sound silly to some folks, and I do have some cheap gear for the range and for spares, but it doesnt cost anymore to feed a pretty woman as it does an ugly one.

Another thing is pride of ownership. My revolvers with expensive stocks will be scene on my hip whether on horse back, Atv, or a tractor, just as readily as dressed for a night on the town with the wife.
    Sometimes a 1911 feels right, and sometimes a Glock. It could be a j frame or a tuned single action revolver.
    I am just as good with any of them, and it would be a foolish man who bet his life to the contrary.
    This idea of being proficient with one over the other is a bunch of laudy dau hoopla as far as I'm concerned.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    There is no good reason beyond what you articulated. It's simply guns as fashion.
    As ridiculous as that statement may be (particularly for those of us who strictly cc), I think it does sum up the sentiment behind the objection - to which I don't give a tinker's damn.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Cool

Sorry but this needed to be said.

Yes I am showing my age here.

The Animals - It' s My Life (1965) HD & HQ - YouTube

OS
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    This may sound silly to some folks, and I do have some cheap gear for the range and for spares, but it doesnt cost anymore to feed a pretty woman as it does an ugly one.
    This I do take issue with.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Harryball out of all that was said with such emotion leave it to you to pick that out.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

eb
    I've been carrying my .38 special LCR in a pocket holster when I walk the dog every morning. Other than that, I can usually be found with an XD 45 compact. I sometimes grab my Kahr CW45 because its sitting in the carry safe...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links