Defensive Carry Rotation...

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Rotation... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Defensive Carry Rotation...why?...what's the point? This is a real question. Aside from where a change in season might prompt a change in clothing, which in ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Rotation...

Defensive Carry Rotation...

Defensive Carry Rotation...why?...what's the point? This is a real question. Aside from where a change in season might prompt a change in clothing, which in turn may necessitate a change in handgun style, what is the rationale for having a "rotation" of carry guns? I would think that one would want to be as proficient as possible with one's carry weapon and that unnecessary swapping of models or styles would limit ones expertise rather than improve it, leading to possible mistakes in a high stress situation...

...anyway...I've seen "rotation" mentioned many times on these boards and I've always wondered about it, so there you have it, enlighten me.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

I used to change between a compact and a full size. It just would depend on the situation and what I was wearing. For instance: if it was hot out, I'd go with a compact in a cargo pocket holster instead of wearing my full size in an IWB holster.

I do not rotate per say, I do have a BUG that I will switch to primary if the situation dictates (ie it really needs to remain concealed). I practice with both regularly and when I switch to my BUG for primary I carry it in the same style and position as my EDC, it is just a lot slimmer and overall smaller.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member
    I normally carry a Glock 19 and/or a Glock 17. For about six weeks, the 17 was out of the rotation while it was getting milled and fitted with a Delta Point and BUIS. During that time, my bug was either a PM9 or a Kilmber Ultra Carry II. The 17 came home for a minute, but now is in Tennessee serving as a model for a previously-non-existent model of Brommeland holster. Hence, it is back out of the rotation. Sometimes, it is necessary for me to go with something smaller, so the PM9 goes with me alone. I am understandably less proficient with the PM9 than I am with the others, so it is not my preferred carry, or even my preferred bug. Weather has little, if any effect on how or what I carry, since I can comfortably carry and effectively conceal any combination of them IWB with cargo shorts and a t shirt.

Currently I only have one carry gun, M&P9C. I don't see a reason to change based on anything. I do want a 1911 again though, and can see myself wearing it more in the winter when I have on more clothes. But I also carried my last 1911 in the summer so I dunno.

VIP Member
    I change up my primary carry guns quite a bit. But I can't help it… It is a sickness that I have for more carry guns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    I have 3 guns that I carry. One I carry on a daily basis at work, a Kahr CW45, due to reduced size and weight. On the week-ends I normally carry a 1911 (8+1), however if I feel the need to carry with a higher capacity I'll carry my CZ75 P-01 (14+1).Regardless of what I carry, I always have a spare mag available.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry my SA XD40 SC at all times, I also have a S&W 2" Airweight that I'll bring along once and awhile.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm fortunate enough to have several carry guns to choose from, and given the ability to choose, I avail myself of that opportunity. I refer to my choices as "guns in the carry rotation," although that description may be misleading - I don't "rotate" weaponry so much as choose what is suitable or appropriate for where I'm going and how I'm dressed.

For example: I carry a CW9 when I walk the dogs between predawn and sundown. From sundown until later evening, I'm more likely to carry a Sig 220 or Kimber CDP Pro .45. If I'm just going grocery shopping 1/3 mile away, I'll slip the lightweight snub in my pocket. (Spare ammo, always.) Hiking on rugged trails outside of city limits, I'll have a G23 on my hip.

A lot of folks harp on "one gun, one carry position" which, in general, has merit. But just as I can jump between my family vehicles with manual and automatic transmissions without hesitation, I can shift from a 1911 to a Glock to a revolver without conscious thought. And I'm no pro, just a motivated civilian carrier.

Back to the OP's original statement - I won't carry a weapon with which I am not proficient. Other than that, I let the "mission" guide what I carry.
    bmcgilvray and devo6684 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    Defensive Carry Rotation...why?...what's the point? This is a real question. Aside from where a change in season might prompt a change in clothing, which in turn may necessitate a change in handgun style, what is the rationale for having a "rotation" of carry guns? I would think that one would want to be as proficient as possible with one's carry weapon and that unnecessary swapping of models or styles would limit ones expertise rather than improve it, leading to possible mistakes in a high stress situation...

...anyway...I've seen "rotation" mentioned many times on these boards and I've always wondered about it, so there you have it, enlighten me.
    Enlightenment is usually reserved for those wanting to learn...it's not bestowed, but accepted.
    Rotation? In relation to firearms the term has only two meanings for me....which Glock, and emptying the spare magazines.
    Adaptation is another thing......compact to full size, or OWB vs IWB carry. Each of us happens to be our own environment....then what environments we tend to frequent at different times also makes a difference in what we do and how we do it.
    Leave rotation to the earth, your tires on the road, and the sun rising tomorrow and the moon overhead at some point. There's a spin on everything but don't let the rotation throw you off balance. If the earth stopped rotating right now would we all fly off into space? Gravity comes from mass. Walk heavy my friend.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I don't rotate them (carry them in some order or other) but I do have 4 guns that might be carried individually or in combination with others all depending on where I'm going and what I can conceal comfortably. Pretty much all winter I carry the G19 or G26 with a spare G19 clip in a pocket.

Sometimes, like tonight when we went to a Christmas party (I don't drink, neither does my wife - we were the designated drivers), I carry the SIG P238 with a spare clip because it is easier to hide and less likely to bump into someone in crowded situations. I carry the LCP as a last resort when I can't hide anything else. I don't feel under gunned with the P238 - it has excellent night sights, a decent trigger, and I shoot it well. The LCP I don't have as much faith in, but I can always figure out a way to hide that little pistol so it isn't going anyplace.

So while I have 4 guns to choose from, what I'm carrying is determined by where I'm going and what i'm wearing.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

sgb
    No rotation for me, same old boring Springfield Professional day in day out.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I see the OP's point; "Beware the man with one gun" and all that good philosophy...

I suspect that the term 'rotation' is a misnomer, in how many refer to it in this context.

Personally, I have a selection of handguns that have proven their reliability to me, and I've proven my proficiency with them to myself. I'll choose any one of them based on the weather, my attire for that day, my agenda for that day, and the level of risk that I anticipate for that day (my job will occasionally take me into very high-risk environments).

There is no one perfect handgun that I'd want with me, every single day. I don't rotate for giggles, I choose best of breed for a fluid environment, and am constantly re-evaluating my skills and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have several carry guns to choose from, and given the ability to choose, I avail myself of that opportunity. I refer to my choices as "guns in the carry rotation," although that description may be misleading - I don't "rotate" weaponry so much as choose what is suitable or appropriate for where I'm going and how I'm dressed.

For example: I carry a CW9 when I walk the dogs between predawn and sundown. From sundown until later evening, I'm more likely to carry a Sig 220 or Kimber CDP Pro .45. If I'm just going grocery shopping 1/3 mile away, I'll slip the lightweight snub in my pocket. (Spare ammo, always.) Hiking on rugged trails outside of city limits, I'll have a G23 on my hip.

A lot of folks harp on "one gun, one carry position" which, in general, has merit. But just as I can jump between my family vehicles with manual and automatic transmissions without hesitation, I can shift from a 1911 to a Glock to a revolver without conscious thought. And I'm no pro, just a motivated civilian carrier.

Back to the OP's original statement - I won't carry a weapon with which I am not proficient. Other than that, I let the "mission" guide what I carry.
    And when I get in my wife's car, I usually stomp the floor board only to discover once again that her car still doesn't have a clutch. Seriously, what's the point in switching between the Kimber and Sig220? Why not ditch the J-frame and take the CW9 with you to the grocery store? Why not just carry the G23 all the time? If you shoot 2000 rounds a year through one type of pistol, I wager that you'll shoot it better than if you shoot 500 rounds a year through four completely different pistols.

If you knew you were going to have to shoot someone in self defense, which pistol would you carry? If at all possible, why not carry that pistol all the time?
    Last edited by pangloss9; December 17th, 2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo

Variety is the spice of life.

Of course testing of different holsters is a good excuse!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links