I CAN'T DO IT(YET)....change the grips on my SP101 that is !

This is a discussion on I CAN'T DO IT(YET)....change the grips on my SP101 that is ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like the feel and the concealability of the stock Ruger grips..but hate the look mostly because of the "silver" grip screw and nut. The Hogue ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By Unisaw
  • 1 Post By mr surveyor

Thread: I CAN'T DO IT(YET)....change the grips on my SP101 that is !

I CAN'T DO IT(YET)....change the grips on my SP101 that is !

Like the feel and the concealability of the stock Ruger grips..but hate the look mostly because of the "silver" grip screw and nut. The Hogue Monogrip is too big IMHO, although I normally like Hogue's products(have my 870 set up with their stock and forend). I wish Badger made a boot grip(cut for speedloaders)in a black rubber or synthetic in the same dimensions as the wood. I guess I'm looking for the perfect compromise between concealment,comfort and looks...it might not exist for this particular revolver. At least, can someone tell me if a company makes a black screw/nut combo to replace the OEM hardware? Suggestions guys on ANY of this would be appreciated! THANKS!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Have you considered the Pachmayr Compac Grip? Very similar in feel to the stock grip.
    Attached Images

I was under the impression.like the Uncle Mike's Boot Grip,the Pachmayr's are no longer made for the SP101. Also heard(here I think)that the fit wasn't so great. Any of that true? Thanks!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I was under the impression.like the Uncle Mike's Boot Grip,the Pachmayr's are no longer made for the SP101. Also heard(here I think)that the fit wasn't so great. Any of that true? Thanks!
    The fit is fine on mine. I thought they were still made for the SP101 but I could be wrong. It would be too bad if they are discontinued. I don't like the Hogues and I despise Badger Grips. You might try finding some wood panels with a different screw.
    Attached Images
    Yankeejib and bmcgilvray like this.

A dark wood with a black screw/nut could do the trick.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

I just replaced the plastic inserts with wood that matched the holster...I liked the stock grip, but I just changed the look.
    Worked for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

PICS Sup...pics brother!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I just replaced the plastic inserts with wood that matched the holster...I liked the stock grip, but I just changed the look.
    Worked for me.
    ^^^ This post is worthless without pics!!! ^^^
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The fit is fine on mine. I thought they were still made for the SP101 but I could be wrong. It would be too bad if they are discontinued. I don't like the Hogues and I despise Badger Grips. You might try finding some wood panels with a different screw.
    Aren't those the factory grips, WMHawth? While I'm not much of a Ruger revolver fan at all I was pleased with the SP 101 that a brother-in-law acquired back when they first hit the market. It was smoother than the average Ruger DA, right from the factory and it has factory rubber/wood insert grips which I found to be dandy for control and "shoot-ability." I've shot that revolver on occasion in the years since and it's quite decent.

Personally, I'd still prefer a 2 1/2-inch S&W Model 19/66 but the SP 101 gives choices for the Ruger fan.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Aren't those the factory grips, WMHawth? While I'm not much of a Ruger revolver fan at all I was pleased with the SP 101 that a brother-in-law acquired back when they first hit the market. It was smoother than the average Ruger DA, right from the factory and it has factory rubber/wood insert grips which I found to be dandy for control and "shoot-ability." I've shot that revolver on occasion in the years since and it's quite decent.

Personally, I'd still prefer a 2 1/2-inch S&W Model 19/66 but the SP 101 gives choices for the Ruger fan.
    They are the factory grips indeed. Just picked up some wood insert panels and swapped them out. The SP101 is a decent revolver for sure but I too would prefer the 2-1/2 inch Model 19. Sadly, I don't have one in stock.

The Pachmayr Compac grip is still made for the SP-101. The fit and finish of mine is fine and this is by far my favorite grip for the SP-101.

Pachmayr&reg Pachmayr your primary source for quality handgun grips and recoil pads
    wmhawth likes this.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    personally, I too like the feel and fit of the stock grip on my SP101, but hated the black inserts (1995 model). Had a buddy make these inserts for me and used a brass screw. There's tons of grip inserts availablen and probably a lot of options to make the screw whatever color you want it.

surv
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Links