CW9 or CW45 Help me pick

This is a discussion on CW9 or CW45 Help me pick within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold a little snubbie 38 that I had sitting around and have decided to get a Kahr CW but cant decide between the 9 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: CW9 or CW45 Help me pick

CW9 or CW45 Help me pick

I sold a little snubbie 38 that I had sitting around and have decided to get a Kahr CW but cant decide between the 9 or the 45. If you have shot both what do you think?

2. Remove Ads

I have two Kahr arms a CW9 and a TP 45.

They both are very accurate and very concealable.

I will say the 9 is dream to shoot very little recoil and very controllable shooting 115 grain HP. When I have this I do not feel under gunned in any way. This in my mind is one of the most affordable best value in defensive handguns on the market.

Because the 45 is larger it is very manageable as well really accurate. It is not as concealed but as a larger framed handguns goes it to is very concealable.

Kahr is an excellent choice I prefer the 9 in the smaller package.

I currently carry a p45, the same dimensions as a cw45 and years back owned a p9. Both are fine pistols, I just find the 45 more comfortable because of my large hands.

You can't go wrong with either, which one feels better in the hand. a good proven hollow point in either caliber will do the job if needed.

VIP Member
    My wife has the CW9 and I have the CW45. I have shot both quite a bit. Both are easy to shoot and have been reliable. The CW9 is a little smaller and narrower than the CW45. Either one is a good choice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i have the cw9,it's a great pistol..well balanced,low recoil,smoooth trigger,100% reliable,afordable price tag..benefits of the 9mm are lower recoil,faster follow up shots,cheaper to shoot,higher capacity.

I just wanted to add that I put about 200 rounds through both guns practicing yesterday and the TP45 is more accurate for me. Now that is most likely because of my large hands and the grip of the frame fits me better.

The 9mm is quicker for followup but not by allot for me. My wife on the other hand likes the 9 she does not like the TP45 small hands.

I think you need to handle both see how they feel. Both are very concealable. Good luck with the choice it's fun doing the research.

One other obvious consideration is 9mm ammo for practice is far less expensive than 45. I reload and that helps spread the cost some but I can buy 9mm ammo formless than I can reload it for.
    Last edited by Ramjet; December 19th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

I can only speak on the CW9. I just bought one and it has been a real pleasure to shoot. Fast follow up shots. Just a little snappy in my opinion. Totally reliable with the first 275 rounds I've put through it. Solid pistol and easily carried and concealed. Total wt is around 17-18 oz. but has a very narrow slide and grip. I can get a good three fingered grip on it. Only comes with one magazine and you will find that the mag does not drop free. It will release and drop a couple of inches. You will have to pull it free. Still I have been very pleased with mine. The guys on the Kahr forum are very knowledgable on all things Kahr. Good luck with your search.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

eb
    I have a CW45 that I carry on occasion. It shoots well, and has never malfunctioned. That said, I do not find my XD 45 compact any more difficult to carry and it holds 4 more rounds. As a result, I normally carry that...

All my Kahrs are 9 mms, so I'd say go with the nine. My reasoning; the Kahrs are rated for the +p and the 9mm +p numbers are very respectable IMO... The 124gr Glod Dot hits with something like 410 FPE and you commonly get one or two more rounds of 9mm over the .45.

JMO, the key is the firearm itself, and I'd say you're on the right track with the Kahr, excellent carry pistols IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

CW9 is about .9" in width, and the CW45 is exactly 1.0" in width. The CW9 is so freaking skinny that it almost feels like a toy cap pistol in your hand. I love the crap out of the little guy. Shoots like a dream and is one of my "always" pistols lately.
    CW45 is also an awesome pistol, and just thick enough that it feels like a real gun in your hand. The trigger on my CW45 is the best of the three Kahr polymer pistols I own, and it is sweeeeet. Shoots like a small 45, and as accurate as I can make it....recoil is not bad for a 20 oz pistol....plus, the BIG HOLE at the end of the gun is really, really intimidating. I scare myself in the bathroom mirror constantly.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    CW9 is about .9" in width, and the CW45 is exactly 1.0" in width. The CW9 is so freaking skinny that it almost feels like a toy cap pistol in your hand. I love the crap out of the little guy. Shoots like a dream and is one of my "always" pistols lately.
    CW45 is also an awesome pistol, and just thick enough that it feels like a real gun in your hand. The trigger on my CW45 is the best of the three Kahr polymer pistols I own, and it is sweeeeet. Shoots like a small 45, and as accurate as I can make it....recoil is not bad for a 20 oz pistol....plus, the BIG HOLE at the end of the gun is really, really intimidating. I scare myself in the bathroom mirror constantly.

Made me chuckle on that one...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links