Raven Arms .25 vs .38/.357 Advice - Page 2

Raven Arms .25 vs .38/.357 Advice

This is a discussion on Raven Arms .25 vs .38/.357 Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still think a snubbie is not the best choice for a new shooter........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Raven Arms .25 vs .38/.357 Advice

I still think a snubbie is not the best choice for a new shooter.....
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I still think a snubbie is not the best choice for a new shooter.....
    I agree that in general snubbies aren't made for new shooters, but I most definately believe that lightweight revolvers (particularly snubs) are NOT for new, or even "occassional" shooters. All steel, with minimum 3 inch barrel, should be the starting point, in my opinion.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

^^^^agree^^^^ weight and sight radius. Mastering the DA stroke is the next obstacle. But when it is, it may be the most perfect carry piece for many.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Get rid of the Raven and the other peice of trash, they are the worst guns made !
    She'll be lucky to get $25 each for them in the condition they are . Save some $$ and get something decent like the Taurus snub 357/38.
    If she is serious she should go with a Ruger SP 101, they are indesructable ! She'll be able to get a lot of rangetime with a Ruger, they are made to shoot extensively.
    Taurus is okay, but I wouldn't run a Taurus snubby through the mill. Since she's a beginner she is going to need a lot of practice time and a good gun that could stand up to it ! A good caliber for her would be the 327 Fed Magnum ! They have almost the same energy as a 357 mag and hold six rounds in snubnose revolvers in a still small package. Putting out 506 lbs of Muzzle energy I doubt if an attacker will get up and keep attacking ! It's easier to shoot than the 357 Mag but has more power than a 38 special. It makes a great gun for a novice female because it's easy to shoot but has plenty of power to spare.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    mr surveyor has the best idea to hold onto those 2 pistols for a police buy back program and get some cash that way which is probably going to be more than they're worth.

Let her pick a pistol for herself trying many varieties to find her best suited pistol. The Bersa and Walther PPK are good recommendations. I'd go for the Bersa.
    Everyone has a lot of advise for your friend, I agree with it all. My thoughts are: take her to a range where she can try out different guns, she might not like how a 38 kicks, (my wife didn't) wouldn't go anything smaller then that in a revolver. My wife went with a Walther PK380, she loves it, plus she is a good shot.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I agree with much that has been said, namely she must like the gun she's getting and to know that, she must have shot it or one very similar. Also would like to second that small guns are really not good for beginners.

I would wonder what her primary carry method will be? There is no reason to get a minute handgun if she can conceal a larger framed gun.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    One of the first cases I worked as a Criminal Investigator in my Agency was a man who was blind drunk and had been shot six times in the head with a .25acp Jennings. He went to the ER because he had a "Splitting Headache". The Prosecutors charged the perp who shot him with Agg Assault instead of Attempted Murder as they had never seen anybody die from being shot with a .25acp.

I'd recommend that the lady look for a good used S&W/Colt .38spl or a Glock 19/26 if she wants a good carry gun.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

VIP Member
    She has paperweights.

If She needs to eat mac & cheese for a couple months, thats what she should do.
    Do not waste money, time and effort fixing questionable firearms.
    Try to find her a decent used .38 or .lightweight .357.
    If you are near Lexington, check out Buds GS.

BudsGunShop.Com
    1105 Industry Road
    Lexington, KY 40505
    Phone: (802) 526-3188

Or go online and shop.

You should be able to get like had been said, a bersa,9mm for under $300-350
    Could almost get a used 3rd of 4th gen S&W semi for about the same
    If she wants lightweight, inexpensive, find a dealer with a 9mm SCCY or a kel tec pf9 semi,,,,,,,,,$250-300.
    Stay away from .380 on down.

If she goes with a revolver, .38 should be fine, with that caliber being the lowest I would go.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links