Are luminescent sights a best kept secret... - Page 2

Are luminescent sights a best kept secret...

This is a discussion on Are luminescent sights a best kept secret... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a sig p238 that had night sights in the rear and a fiber optic night sight in the front, best sights I have ever ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Are luminescent sights a best kept secret...

Had a sig p238 that had night sights in the rear and a fiber optic night sight in the front, best sights I have ever used day or night. And on a pocket pistol.

Tru-glo TFO's---any opinions one way or the other. I've seen them on a friends G34 and they seem the cat's meow. Fiber optic by day, tritium at night. Got to be a downside there somewhere.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

"Hang on BG, let me just charge up my sights first."

I think I'll stick with H3.

I have a nice watch that has a lumie/Day-Glo dial and face. It is NEVER charged when I want it to be.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I'm just not impressed by sights I have to charge up before use.

I use trijicon HD sights, and yes, they have a luminecent orange circle around the front sight that CAN be charged for a temporary red dot effect; however, they are, at their core, a 3 tritium vial sight that happens to have an enhanced visibility feature on the front sight for daylight to indoor darkness/"I know I'm going into a dark room, leme give my sight a blast of light and make sure I have an orange circle to aim with in the next 15 minutes in case I really need it..."

For me, these get no love.

VIP Member
    Meps and Trij prolly have a better half life than I do.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    I use pretty much Trijicons for night sights. I have a bunch of them in fact. Unless I have yellow rears with a green front, the front sight gets washed out by the rears and it is hard to find. I find this to be true with new Trijicons and it gets worse as the years go by.

I know some aren't worried about half life, but in about 8 years, and that's not a half life, you'll be 8 years older, and your eyes will be 8 years dimmer and so will your sights. It happens quicker than you think.

I now have about five or six sets of Trijicons that need to be replaced and 5 or 6 more that I can see are significantly dimmer. They are not nearly as easy to see as they once were.

I obviously like night sights, but after 15 years or so of using them and seeing them get dimmer and dimmer, I realize they aren't the end to end all sights some think they are.

It would be most interesting to have this conversation again in just 5 years after we've compared our wonder sights to new wonder sights. I think we be surprised at the difference.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    Tru-glo TFO's---any opinions one way or the other. I've seen them on a friends G34 and they seem the cat's meow. Fiber optic by day, tritium at night. Got to be a downside there somewhere.
    I have a TFO front on my Sig P229 SCT and Trijicon rear, I like this set up a lot. The TFO is readily apparent in daylight and as bright as the tritium rear at night, but it is a larger dot than the rear so it's easily picked up as the front sight and I don't have to figure out which dot is on which plain.

The downside with the TFO is some people have reported them being fragile, I have not found this to be an issue on my Sig.

I prefer Tritium sights with rings around the vials so that you can still have a white dot in daylight instead of a vial that is invisible in bright light making the sight appear as not having a point of aim.

Senior Moderator
    I just crunched some numbers that might be interesting. Tritium sights (as I understand it) have a radio active exponential decay. That means they decay really quickly and then level off somewhat. But most of the decay occurs in the first few years. For example. at the end of one year from manufacture, not the date you buy them, they will have decayed to 93% of their starting value.

In two years from the time of manufacturer (not when you buy them) they are down to 87% of their starting value - not too bad?

In 3 years they are at 81%
    In 4 years 76%
    In 5 years 71%
    In 6 years 66%
    In 7 years 61%
    In 8 years 57%
    In 9 years 54%
    and finally in 10 years 50%.

So in the first 5 years FROM MANUFACTURE they drop 29% and are within 21% of their half life level. For the last 4 years our night sights are less than 66% of their starting brightness - far closer to 50% for the last 4 years than their starting value.

I know that's just numbers, but I've gone through a number of sights half lives.

The bad thing is, they loose the most brightness in the first 5 years.

The good thing is, I guess, they don't go out after 10 years they just continue to dim at a much slower rate.
    MitchellCT likes this.

The sooner you realize you can get along fine without them. The better off you are. This is what I have found;

If I can't see the my sights without artificial illumination, I can't see the target either.

If, it's so dark that I have to use artificial illumination to see the target, ( flashlight), then I can use the flashlight to see the sights also, or, if I am using a WML, which I dont, I can see the silhouette of the sights against the light anyway.

Don't get me wrong, they are nice to have, and can be useful, but are not really necassary.
    JD, OldVet and Bark'n like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    "Hang on BG, let me just charge up my sights first."
    Do you let your car run really low on gas before you 'recharge' it? Why would we wait until our sights were too dim to use to recharge them?

Like Prince Charles says, "You pee when you can, not when you have to."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent
    ...I have a nice watch that has a lumie/Day-Glo dial and face. It is NEVER charged when I want it to be.
    I guess understanding the gear and planning ahead is required???

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The sooner you realize you can get along fine without them. The better off you are. This is what I have found;

If I can't see the my sights without artificial illumination, I can't see the target either.

If, it's so dark that I have to use artificial illumination to see the target, ( flashlight), then I can use the flashlight to see the sights also, or, if I am using a WML, which I dont, I can see the silhouette of the sights against the light anyway.

Don't get me wrong, they are nice to have, and can be useful, but are not really necassary.
    I have to agree for the most part. Although there are times you can see the threat but can't see your sights against the threat's dark clothing; night sights are nice then.

But that does bring up an interesting thought. If I use my flashlight or WML as I would be using, remember I'm trying to see someone who's trying to hurt me, I don't need night sights of any kind. That brings us back to the luminescent sights helping in much broader lighting situations. Take another look at the green glow of my front sight in broad daylight. That has to be better than black on black. Then there's my laser...

I guess understanding the gear and planning ahead is required???
    This is correct. That's why I own sights that will stay lit 24/7 for the better part of the next decade. One less thing to worry about.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    This is correct. That's why I own sights that will stay lit 24/7 for the better part of the next decade.
    Well, that's your choice, but that in no way makes it the best choice or that we can't do better with something else. If you don't understand it, why critisize those that do?
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I just crunched some numbers that might be interesting. Tritium sights (as I understand it) have a radio active exponential decay. That means they decay really quickly and then level off somewhat. But most of the decay occurs in the first few years. For example. at the end of one year from manufacture, not the date you buy them, they will have decayed to 93% of their starting value.

In two years from the time of manufacturer (not when you buy them) they are down to 87% of their starting value - not too bad?

In 3 years they are at 81%
    In 4 years 76%
    In 5 years 71%
    In 6 years 66%
    In 7 years 61%
    In 8 years 57%
    In 9 years 54%
    and finally in 10 years 50%.

So in the first 5 years FROM MANUFACTURE they drop 29% and are within 21% of their half life level. For the last 4 years our night sights are less than 66% of their starting brightness - far closer to 50% for the last 4 years than their starting value.

I know that's just numbers, but I've gone through a number of sights half lives.

The bad thing is, they loose the most brightness in the first 5 years.

The good thing is, I guess, they don't go out after 10 years they just continue to dim at a much slower rate.
    If you are staying with the same sight picture for so long, you either have really found what works for you, or you haven't been pushing yourself and seeing if any new sights will give you a faster pickup and tracking from shot to shot.

People's eyes change. Situations change...

So should sights occasionally.

Not for the sake of new-ness...but because they are a means to an end, not a cool thing in and of themselves.

Senior Moderator
    I've tried about every sight on the market - from Big Dots with the shallow V to those triangle thingies that are supposed to be so good. I just keep coming back to Heinies. I have far more Trijicons, but if I'd known then, what I know now, I'd have a bunch more Heinies. I've tried TruGlos on my P226 and they shoot about 3 inches low at 10 yards. Years ago I tried a Truglo on my Glock and the front one died.

As my eyes have changed over the years, I'm right now shooting with eyes that have had RK and cataract surgeries and I'm wearing soft contacts on top of that. I'm 66 years old (well this coming Thursday) and this is one of my personal bests. I shot this a couple of weeks ago. It's just slow fire eval stuff - a way to see how my eyes and sights are doing. Five shots each at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 yds - P226R SRT with Heinie sights:

Those are the same Heinies I bought over 5 years ago.

But, now that I've used the lumies, I am realizing that I am seeing the sights quicker and getting off shots quicker, and I know why, they're brighter under bright and low light levels. I could probably shoot my M&P better than any gun I own if I could just see the front sight better.

One of the interesting things about night sight talk is that few of us get to shoot in light levels where they really are advantageous. Most of us have to go to ranges to shoot and they have a lot of restrictions about movement, multiple targets, light levels and some even limit the rates of fire to something like one shot every two seconds or something like that. A lot of ranges don't allow drawing and firing.

At most ranges we can't move more than one or two feet laterally, and maybe a foot or two forward or backwards, if that. So most of us can essentially just start from a low ready and go from there. So most of us are quite limited in what and how we can shoot. That does influence sight preferences.

Questions, questions, questions:

How often do you change sights for the purpose of improving perfomance?

Do you always go to a new sight or do you return to one you've previously used?

Have you found that changing sights gives a temporary improvement? The reason I ask is, I understand sometimes top competitors do just to get that temporary lift in their shooting. I presume once the newness lift goes away, they have to change again????
    MitchellCT and Bark'n like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links