Are luminescent sights a best kept secret... - Page 4

Are luminescent sights a best kept secret...

This is a discussion on Are luminescent sights a best kept secret... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet ...What good are sights that glow in complete darkeness when the BG doesn't? I put a dab of DayGlo-Orange paint on ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Are luminescent sights a best kept secret...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...What good are sights that glow in complete darkeness when the BG doesn't? I put a dab of DayGlo-Orange paint on my sights and find them more than adequate in any light bright enough (or dim enough) to see a target. Plus, there's very little background that blends in with DayGlo-Orange. White sights simply disappear with my eyes. And at @$3-4 a bottle, the occasional touch-up is no problem.
    Well, complete darkness is only one condition - I'd think an extremely rare condition for most of us. You'd almost have to be in a blackout or deep in a building without power and no emergency lighting, no moonlight, sunlight, or artificial light, etc.

But there are many, many lighting conditions above complete darkness where the outline of a threat can be seen and night sights work well. And of course, tactics have to be driven by the situation. If we know the only person we're going to run into is the threat, and he's a dangerous threat then that may be all the threat ID we need. E.g. in my house, if I know my wife is beside me and there's another person in the house, the third person is a threat. I don't need more ID than his outline, although in all reality I will have a light and likely a laser on him.

I do like the DayGlo approach, that may be a better choice in most situations than night sights. Of course that would mean the threat would have to have some artifical light on him if it were dark, but nothing wrong with that!

And since I've already given myself away, my real tool for low level is rapidly becoming a light/laser combo. Because of the laser, you don't have to have the gun at eye level or even next to you. Same for the light, yet you identify and acquire the threat without having to bring the gun in line with your eye/head.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Now that's just unsat. Was that from the factory like that? Seems like they could be filed on for a better fit...
    Yeah, I called them. They said it was to accommodate manufacturing tolerances of the slide cuts????? That is pretty sad isn't it?

You have to be really careful about filing dovetails. They're really not adjustable. E.g. If I were to file the bottom of the front sight dovetail, the sight would get loose in the dovetail. But, if I've missed something here, I'd sure like to hear about it!

If it weren't for that horrible fit, that'd be about as close to an ideal day/night sight as one could get. Of course it would still have the dimming tritium - that really irks me, why couldn't it have a half life of 100 years?

Tangle, I would be interested to know how long the sights glow or are visible after the lights go out. Do ya think tonight you could maybe sacrifice a little zzz for the cause? Maybe a midnight check, a 3am check and a 5 am check?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Tangle, have you ever had the opportunity to use a gold bead front dot? They are absolutely amazing at light gathering. I have one pistol with a brass bead, it is dang good, but nothing like a real gold bead.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tangle, I would be interested to know how long the sights glow or are visible after the lights go out. Do ya think tonight you could maybe sacrifice a little zzz for the cause? Maybe a midnight check, a 3am check and a 5 am check?
    I've actually done that! Now if I could just remember....

I do remember being surprised at how long they did last. And, of course some of that has to do with what I was talking about earlier - our eyes adjust to the dark and see better as the sights dim and I guess there's some compensation effect.

I actually set up a video with night sights and lumies side by side, but I can only get 45 minutes out of my cam corder battery.

But yes, I will do that tonight - might even make a pic or two!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Tangle, have you ever had the opportunity to use a gold bead front dot? They are absolutely amazing at light gathering. I have one pistol with a brass bead, it is dang good, but nothing like a real gold bead.
    I've heard good things about gold beads! Some gun writer said in an article that's all he uses.

Can you get them for handguns or do they have to be adapted by a gunsmith?

Sometimes very simple and positive concepts can get way too overcomplicated when they are picked to pieces by every conceivable scenario that could ever possibly present itself. And since nothing will ever be made that can always meet every possible application, every possible scenario, and has absolutely no shortcomings, then one could apply the same logic that nothing is any good, save your money, and just carry a pocket full of rocks for defense and a piece of sharp flint as your tool kit.

I went through a gadget craze a few years ago and tried a Trijicon night sight kit on my 1911 that quickly turned out to be practically worthless for me because it was more of a liability than an asset. Yea, it was nice and bright in almost total darkness; but as Tangle mentioned, who's stupid enough to shoot at anything when it's so dark you can't see your sights or your target very well - ooops, sorry honey, thought you were a BG. I couldn't see them at all in daylight, and the bluky rear sight block combined with the bulky front sight attachment totally compromised the finer sighting ability of the original iron sights and made it look more like trying to line up a 2x4 between two slats of a picket fence. So, after a couple of frustrating months, the Trijicon quickly joined other expensive failures in my "drawer-o'-crap", and I returned to my general KISS weapon protocol until I found the little lumie dots.

Actually, my decision to use the lumie dots had absolutely nothing to do with night sighting at all; and if anyone looks at Tangle's posted pictures of his pistol pointed toward the ground, it should be plainy obvious of their merit. It's daylight not dark, and anyone can tell in a split second how Tangle's sights are "exactly" positioned (high and to the left). Now pretend for a moment that those little dots weren't there, stick your nose right on your screen, and see how long it takes to see just where that dark front sight is positioned and even try finding the notch in the rear sight. This is daylight, not darkness, and those dots will show up with just as much contrast in bright sunlight.

Too much hoopla has been raised over the dots having to be "charged" with a light source. Agreed, they have to be exposed to a bright light source for a few seconds in order to sustain a bright glow for a number of hours in total darkness; but, the very moment they are exposed to any light, they instantly come to high intensity. I've duplicated Tangle's findings many times about keeping them in the dark for a long period of time, then seeing them instantly become highly visible the very moment they're exposed to even dim light. Point being that I can carry my weapon totally concealed all day long and have the lumie dots doing their very high-contrast thing the moment I draw and can get my weapon raised.

So, my objective for using the lumies is NOT for shooting at night, but to greatly increase the speed of rapid sight alignment in any dim or brightly lighted area where the particular target, background, or any other factor makes it difficult to see and quickly line up the weapon's standard iron sights for possibly that first life-saving defensive shot. It is a very good and very inexpensive KISS concept that doesn't add bulk, always works, and improves MY speed and efficiency - not the gun's. If for any reason they didn't work at all, there's no compromise because I've still got the weapon's standard iron sights that aren't encumbered up and degraded with bulky chunks of plastic that don't work in the daytime anyway.

Unless you sleep in a cave with total darkness, the lumies on my nightstand stay "charged" just from the display on my digital alarm clock. No, they're not extremely bright in reality, but they look that way when my eyes have become accustomed to the darkness, and they are just as easy to see and quickly line up. As mentioned, switching on any type of light to identify a potential target (or a wife, kid, dog) in the darkness will also instantly bring the lumies up to keep them just as fast and easy to align if necessary.

Since they come in four different colors and a pack of many dots for about $12, I got two different colors so I could make the front dot a different color from the rear dots to help minimize any confusion for a quick sight lineup. Quit grumbling and picking something so simple to pieces, and give 'em a try.

Even if you don't like them, think of how much fun you can have by sticking them on the wife, dog, or friends without their knowledge
    Philly Boy likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I've heard good things about gold beads! Some gun writer said in an article that's all he uses.

Can you get them for handguns or do they have to be adapted by a gunsmith?
    You can get them from Wayne Novak, for a number of different pistols.
    Genuine Novak Sights
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Now that's just unsat. Was that from the factory like that? Seems like they could be filed on for a better fit...
    Hmmm JD, you've got me to thinking. I like the sights; they're fairly new so the they're still pretty bright and the FO work really well in daylight.

I could machine down the bottoms of the sights to fit. That would make the sight loose but I could build up one side of the sight's dovetail with some good epoxy and machine it to fit.

The epoxy would just be a filler, not an adhesive and that might let me take out some of that shooting low I'm getting too. Of course that might void the warranty, but I can't do much with them like they are.

Hmmmm...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You can get them from Wayne Novak, for a number of different pistols.
    Genuine Novak Sights
    Coool!! You can bet I'm gonna check that out!

Senior Moderator
    What a great discussion you guys!

I'll be right back; I'm going to get a Frosty!

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Problem for me is that some of the guns I have, such as my Keltec PF9 and Taurus PT709 is that no one currently offers any aftermarket night sights for them so owners of these guns or similar have to use the glow paints, etc. As the original poster has said, they are pretty bright for what they are. God Bless

Regarding the TFO sights - the ones for my Glock 26 fit absolutely flush with the top of the slide. Of course, I did pay a gunsmith to install them (all of $30), so I don't know what the results would have been had I tried a DIY job. Note that the front sight on the Glock is a post, and not a dovetail; the rear sight is dovetailed in.

If you can make it work, just get the TFOs and be done with it.

ETA - Tangle? Tangle?! Man...that's a lot of frosties...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I have a gold bead front sight on my SP101 from Gemini Customs and it works great in the daylight.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn
    Regarding the TFO sights - the ones for my Glock 26 fit absolutely flush with the top of the slide. Of course, I did pay a gunsmith to install them (all of $30), so I don't know what the results would have been had I tried a DIY job. Note that the front sight on the Glock is a post, and not a dovetail; the rear sight is dovetailed in.
    My G17s fit flush too; the tritium rod in the front sight went out though. I think this may be a Sig related problem, not Sig per se, but the sights for TFOs for Sigs.

I don't think the gunsmith can fit them any closer. I've cut and dovetailed a 1911 slide for a Bomar adjustable sight, among other things. Once a dovetail is cut, very minor fitting can be done and is sometimes necessary, but they won't move up and down without getting loose in the dovetail.

If you can make it work, just get the TFOs and be done with it.
    If it could just be that simple.

...ETA - Tangle? Tangle?! Man...that's a lot of frosties...
    Weeeell it wasn't quite that good - well the Frosty was, but when I got back from getting my Frosty, my computer had this big virus warning message on the screen. I could not access the internet at all - it just kept posting that big warning.

Well I called Michael, my computer genuis and it turns out the virus warning is the virus!!!! He said disconnect from the internet immediately, so I pulled the plug. It turns out the virus is Win 7 2012 Virus checker or something like that.

I had to disconnect everything and take my computer to Michael. He's going to clean and fix everything. I'm on my school computer right now and it's going to be Thursday likely, or Friday before I get my computer back. Grrrrr!!!!

Sooo, this will be my last post until Thursday or Friday

AND DON'T YOU GUYS BE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF ME WHILE I'M ABSENT!!!!

Tangle signing off...........................

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links