New LCR 357 Magnum!! Possible front sight switch?

This is a discussion on New LCR 357 Magnum!! Possible front sight switch? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well...I did it. I bought a new Ruger LCR in 357 magnum. I may not carry or shoot many 357's but I certainly like having ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haywood
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: New LCR 357 Magnum!! Possible front sight switch?

Well...I did it. I bought a new Ruger LCR in 357 magnum. I may not carry or shoot many 357's but I certainly like having the option. The fact that it only weights 4 more ounces made the decision even easier. My question is, has anyone changed out the front sight? If so, did you go with the Big Dot or the Hi Viz? Pics would be great. This black on black is just not easy for me to pick up.

Can't help with the sights but congrats on the new purchase.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I picked the Big Dot sight and have been really happy with it. Installation was a pain in the rear but that was my fault. If you don't have a vice I would recommend you make friends with someone who does. Installing the front sight without a vice is really difficult.

I'll try to post pictures later.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I picked the Big Dot sight and have been really happy with it. Installation was a pain in the rear but that was my fault. If you don't have a vice I would recommend you make friends with someone who does. Installing the front sight without a vice is really difficult.

I'll try to post pictures later.
    Dang...I have no vice. Maybe that can be my Christmas present....

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I went with the XS sight from Ruger. I had no problem installing without a vise. Before I switched sights I painted it with appliance white touch up paint. You can see that good also.
    Cdknox likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's impossible without a vice but it sure made it a heck of a lot easier.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Dang...I have no vice. Maybe that can be my Christmas present....
    You can buy a small bench vise for like 20 bucks. Just sayin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The LCR is a wonderful handgun for backup or primary self defense, but I have found that most snub noses are point and click. Used at bad breath range. if you train with it, you should have no issues pointing and clicking at 25 yards into a human sized target. If you are looking to get precise sight pictures and make precision head shots and or heart shots, I suggest you look at a revolver with a 4" barrel or more. As is the weapon is perfect for point and click COM shots on a target both from a stationary position and with aimed shooting. I suggest you save your money and invest in ammo and training.
    helderberg likes this.

Almost bought one and had decided to go with the XS Big Dot--- still might get that for one of my guns. Looks like it should work very well, as many attest to it doing.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I understand the point and click mentality. More than likely, if I have to use this, I won't notice the sights. But for training and range time, I like to see my sights, helps with confidence in making hits. How fast is your "point and click" at 25 yards? I'm more curious if in that amount of time, and at 25 yards, you would have the time to make a more accurate shot with sights.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I like the night sight because I can see it on the night stand at night. Also I can see it on the bed next to me in a dark camper.

I like the night sight .... I like to boogy.

Seriously though....congrats on the new purchase but I'd be more inclined with the point and click rather than sites on such a short snubby.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

congrats on the new lcr 357,consider loading it up some Speer Gold Dots or Hornady Critical Defense..the sights on the lcr aren't the best but remember it was designed for up close,point and shoot personal defense..i think i'd rather spend the money on a good quality holster then new sights.. my recommendations would be Remora,Allessi,Aholster and Desantis..Bianchi Speed Strips or the 5 Star Speed loader also work well with the lcr..good luck

I have a Hays Holster on the way. He's a forum sponsor and this will be the 6th holster I have from him. Top notch quality. Maybe I'll just throw some flourescent orange paint on there.

Congradulations on the LCR purchase.

The Ruger LCR is now my wife's primary carry piece. I bought her the .357 magnum version. Have not changed the front sight, even though we could. Later on type project.

It is one of the sweetest revolvers out there. I'd love to have one for myself, but that's not happening anyway soon.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links